• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Pit Job Search/Employment Thread

i've been in interviews for a job I reeeally want at a company i'd love to work for for about 3 weeks now. just got a call from them thinking maybe it'd be an offer-- nope! one more round of interviews. sheesh.

here's where i'm at:
- round 1 phone interview with recruiter
- round 2 phone interview with hiring manager
- round 3 in person interview with 7 people
- HR calls back to ask for references (thought this was a good sign)
- round 4 coffee with hiring manager (only got 15 minutes with her during the in-person in round 3 because she was pulled into a fire, so we wanted to do a follow-up)
- Hiring manager asked to see some writing samples
- round 5 another in person with 2 more people-- (am guessing higher-ups, but haven't gotten confirmation yet).

hopefully after all this there will be an offer at the end of the tunnel!

i've been in interviews for a job I reeeally want at a company i'd love to work for for about 3 weeks now. just got a call from them thinking maybe it'd be an offer-- nope! one more round of interviews. sheesh.

here's where i'm at:
- round 1 phone interview with recruiter
- round 2 phone interview with hiring manager
- round 3 in person interview with 7 people
- HR calls back to ask for references (thought this was a good sign)
- round 4 coffee with hiring manager (only got 15 minutes with her during the in-person in round 3 because she was pulled into a fire, so we wanted to do a follow-up)
- Hiring manager asked to see some writing samples
- round 5 another in person with 2 more people-- (am guessing higher-ups, but haven't gotten confirmation yet).

hopefully after all this there will be an offer at the end of the tunnel!

Jesus

Good luck!

Sounds really promising, Dash. They wouldn't take all this time for a candidate they weren't seriously considering.

Good luck!

Dash being vetted for Trump's VP

I'm going to be the new Budget Manager for Roanoke County, Virginia. I had a beer with the director last night and got the unofficial nod and got the formal offer letter today.

this is awesome!! congratulations!

BOOM! You need to spend about $50m on re-roofing projects next year, right Helton?

I'm going to be the new Budget Manager for Roanoke County, Virginia. I had a beer with the director last night and got the unofficial nod and got the formal offer letter today.

Very nice. And Govt benefits. But I love Rke.

So I was asked to put together a reference list for a potential employer and confirm with the references to expect a call. This was last Friday. Reference list put together and they all know to expect a call. As of today, no calls. The job is out of state, but in a town where I have a house with renters. The lease is up at the end of the month. In the past they have refused to do a month to month or any extension for less than half a year.

1) should I be worried that no references have been checked yet.
2) the company knows about my renter issue...Should I go ahead and confirm to the renters that they are out at the end of the month?

Thanks all! It's a good move for me and should be fun. It's a smaller office but I worked with the analyst there at my current job and worked with the director and County Administrator when I worked in Alexandria.

Congratulations on the new job! Always good to hear about fellow Deacs moving to new things they want to do.

Hoping someone will have some advice for me here.

I'm looking to relocate back to NC (no real preference for where, though most of my job search has focused on the Raleigh or Charlotte areas), and I'm looking for some sort of business analyst position. Problem is, I don't have any BA experience, and most entry level spots (which, hey, I'd take an entry level spot!) are looking for recent graduates. I graduated in 2012, and in the worst decision of my life to date, immediately took a shit part-time job (which turned into a shit full-time banker job). Quit there in January 2014, moved up here to RI, and ended up getting hired with the same bank, but in a legit job, in the sense that it pays fairly well and requires a college degree and all that. The issue here is that the job is really just fielding inbound client calls, and it was always supposed to just be a holdover while I found something I actually wanted to do. Two years and a promotion later, I'm still in a customer service phone bank, and while I think I'm getting paid really well for what I do, I want to make a move. The usual career path for my position involves going the wholesale banking route, which is something I know I don't want to do. I've been applying internally for "Analytics Consultant I" positions, to no avail. I minored in comp sci, and I know my way really well around Excel/C++/Java, am trying to teach myself Javascript and SQL. I dunno. I just feel like I'd be reasonably qualified for all these positions if I actually had, like, experience.

I guess I have two questions:

1.) How the shit do I find an entry level gig in my preferred field, 4 years out of school? When listings say they're looking for recent graduates, and I apply anyway, am I filtered/dismissed out of hand?

2.) If I'm applying to an NC position, how do I indicate that I'm willing/able to relocate? I feel having the RI address on my resume is an automatic dealbreaker, and my buddy offered me his Raleigh address to use, but I think that would bring up more questions than it's worth.

Last edited:
Hoping someone will have some advice for me here.

I'm looking to relocate back to NC (no real preference for where, though most of my job search has focused on the Raleigh or Charlotte areas), and I'm looking for some sort of business analyst position. Problem is, I don't have any BA experience, and most entry level spots (which, hey, I'd take an entry level spot!) are looking for recent graduates. I graduated in 2012, and in the worst decision of my life to date, immediately took a shit part-time job (which turned into a shit full-time banker job). Quit there in January 2014, moved up here to RI, and ended up getting hired with the same bank, but in a legit job, in the sense that it pays fairly well and requires a college degree and all that. The issue here is that the job is really just fielding inbound client calls, and it was always supposed to just be a holdover while I found something I actually wanted to do. Two years and a promotion later, I'm still in a customer service phone bank, and while I think I'm getting paid really well for what I do, I want to make a move. The usual career path for my position involves going the wholesale banking route, which is something I know I don't want to do. I've been applying internally for "Analytics Consultant I" positions, to no avail. I minored in comp sci, and I know my way really well around Excel/C++/Java, am trying to teach myself Javascript and SQL. I dunno. I just feel like I'd be reasonably qualified for all these positions if I actually had, like, experience.

I guess I have two questions:

1.) How the shit do I find an entry level gig in my preferred field, 4 years out of school? When listings say they're looking for recent graduates, and I apply anyway, am I filtered/dismissed out of hand?

2.) If I'm applying to an NC position, how do I indicate that I'm willing/able to relocate? I feel having the RI address on my resume is an automatic dealbreaker, and my buddy offered me his Raleigh address to use, but I think that would bring up more questions than it's worth.

Might have a lead for you in Raleigh. Will confirm and shoot you a pm!

I put "Looking to relocate to North Carolina" at the very top of my resume for my NC search since I had a DC address. Then put something about that in the first paragraph of my cover letters. Seemed to work for me.

Yeah, definitely indicate your interest in relocating and the reason they ask for recent grads is typically salary related. If you indicate that your required salary is in their range, that would likely get you past initial cuts

Back