• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

glad to see that sponsors come first to the team, as noted twice in the statement.

Hail to the Redskins-a team I followed for 40 years.

Hail to the PC crowd .......

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

The name has nothing to do with Washington DC. The team started in another city, and then moved to DC, who kept the stupid name out of inertia.

In 1932, George Preston Marshall was granted an NFL franchise for Boston. Because Boston already had the Braves in baseball (who eventually moved to Milwaukee and Atlanta), Marshall thought it made sense to play off the Braves nickname because the Boston Braves baseball team shared a stadium with the new Boston football team. After essentially no one attended their games in their 4 years in Boston, Marshall moved to the team to DC (The Boston Redskins attendance was so bad during the 1936 season that they voluntarily gave up a home playoff game). I am a DC native and have been countless Redskins games, but the name is an anachronism, overtly racist and has no place as the nickname of a major sports franchise. People grousing about the name in 2020 need to get a life. After a year or two the new name will seem normal. It's not like this is the first franchise to change their name.

Agree with Pilchard here. I've been a skins fan my whole life and I'm thrilled this is finally happening. It's way over due and was honestly embarrassing.

Hope they don't change the uniforms or helmet at all. Some of the best uniforms in the league.

The lyrics to Hail to the Redskins were written by George Preston Marshall's, the Redskins owner from 1932 until he died in 1969, wife. Until the Cowboys joined the NFL, the Redskins were the only team located South of the Mason-Dixon line. Thus, the original lyric "Fight for Old Dixie". The Redskins were the last team to sign a black player, and only did so after JFK threatened to revoke the team's 30 year lease on DC Stadium which stood on federal land. A memorial honoring George Preston Marshall was removed from the RFK stadium site in the last few weeks.

Back