• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cutting the Cord (Ditching TV, not having a baby)

I don't find the price hikes for YTTV all that objectionable for what you get, but losing stuff like Monday Night Football and Golf Channel would 100% be a dealbreaker. But there's no commitment at all so who really cares. Switch for a bit, switch back when/if they fix things. Unlimited DVR, feed quality, 4k, current channel lineup, unlimited streams and devices - I still don't see much in the way of competition out there.

I can't imagine switching back to something like satellite. I assume if you want, say, multiple rooms and devices with 4k support you're still running cables and setting up boxes, mini-genie receivers, paying for each one, committing to contracts, etc? God that was miserable.

So many of the best shows are on the streaming services as well. I do hulu live but then I just ditch it after basketball season is over and then pick it backup when football season starts. Go back to the regular hulu subscription.

YouTubeTV was great when it first came out, but the steady uptick in price has really diminished its value for me. We're still coming out better than we would with cable though

Not even close for me

as someone who splits YTTV across three households, it would take a lot to move on

like YTTV cracking down on shared accounts

Juice out there stealing from the man

I don't find the price hikes for YTTV all that objectionable for what you get, but losing stuff like Monday Night Football and Golf Channel would 100% be a dealbreaker. But there's no commitment at all so who really cares. Switch for a bit, switch back when/if they fix things. Unlimited DVR, feed quality, 4k, current channel lineup, unlimited streams and devices - I still don't see much in the way of competition out there.

I can't imagine switching back to something like satellite. I assume if you want, say, multiple rooms and devices with 4k support you're still running cables and setting up boxes, mini-genie receivers, paying for each one, committing to contracts, etc? God that was miserable.

We are doing one DVR cable box in the main room and everything else will be through the Spectrum App.

One issue we had was lag on YTTV which is why we wanted at least one hardwired cable box.

Not even close for me

Yeah I assume this is either bundle deals or bare minimum packages. By the time you add HD, DVR, 3 TV's, equal channels, extra fees, etc. - Xfinity around here is more than double the cost despite a 2 year commitment. Satellite is even worse. But the cheapest plan with no extras is about the same.

They are playing with fire if they don’t get this deal done. Brady’s return to New England is going to do huge numbers and to have that not available would be a disaster for their business.

So who is actually in the wrong here, YTTV/Google or NBC/Sinclair/etc.? I'm pretty sure they are all generally evil, but is say NBC trying to charge YTTV way more than they charge say Spectrum, Cox or Hulu to carry the NBCUniversal stations or is YTTV paying below market compared to other TV providers and NBC is just trying to get things comparable across providers?

Overall, I've been very happy with YTTV, but not having the RSNs has been crappy - just not crappy enough to make me switch to something else. Not having the NBCUniversal stations could definitely push that over the top. If you pay for Peacock, do you get live stuff on NBC/Golf Channel/Bravo or is it totally dependent on what you're trying to watch (like the Ryder Cup was streaming on Peacock, but could you also stream Top Chef when the new season starts or do you have to wait until the episode airs live first)?

Well, considering Peacock has been a massive failure and they're trying to force bundling Peacock into a Youtube TV subscription (and in turn essentially charging customers twice for some content), and they're owned by Comcast, AND they are singling out YTTV because of its success versus other streaming services... I tend to think NBC is more at fault here. Not to mention Google is pre-announcing $10 rebates for their service if they lose NBC. Doesn't seem to be a bad-faith effort.

Now that the death of traditional TV is certain, everyone with content thinks they can run off and make an app and folks will pay $10/month for it - but it's not going to happen. They can keep pulling all their content off of service after service if they want to, but it will never drive enough subscriptions to make up for it. There's just too much other content out there, and we've hit a saturation point with Netflix/Hulu/YTTV/Apple+/Paramount+/Discovery+/HBOMax/Peacock/Prime/Disney+/Sling/Fubo etc. You can't just keep tacking on apps and subscriptions, especially if you're NBC and largely relying on nostalgia programming as your library.

Great post, DC.

The Bally Sports model is particularly bad. The whole hook is they provide local sports programming but they’re keeping their channels off streaming services people use for local programming.

I can get NBA League Pass for $28.99/mo but the local team(s) are blacked out so I have to pay the rumored $23 for the Bally app? C’mon.

MLB, NHL, and MLB just need to cut them off next time.

Last edited:
This thread and the suggestion to cut the cord worked wonders. If NBC wants to leave, so be it. I miss the Sinclair/Bally regional sports stations because they carry Deacon games. I live. Turn on Stan and Stats and return to childhood appreciation of radio.

The ACC would be well advised to ensure all of their sports are streamed nationwide without any blackouts or excuses. There is no viable reason I shouldn't see a game in 2021. An ACC app may be an option. I'd pay $10/month to ensure that.

I am not paying 23 a month for a handful of wake football basketball games over the year.

We had YTTV and separate subscriptions to HBO and Showtime.

We just upgraded our internet. By switching to Spectrum I think it’s $10 more a month, we get the RSNs back, plus more channels, and with a hardwired connection should avoid our issues with lagging.

Got this email from YTTV. Hell of a negotiating tactic.

If NBCU offers us the equitable terms we are asking for, we will renew our agreement with them. However, if we are unable to reach a deal by Thursday, the NBCU lineup of channels will no longer be available on YouTube TV, and we will decrease our monthly price from $64.99 to $54.99 (while this content remains off our platform).

At that time, you can sign up for NBCUniversal’s own streaming service, Peacock Premium,* which NBC currently offers starting at $4.99/month to continue watching NBCU content, such as live football.

The real problem I had with watching the Notre Dame game on Peacock was that you can't easily flip back and forth to any other game. Thus, I stopped watching the Notre Dame game.

They are playing with fire if they don’t get this deal done. Brady’s return to New England is going to do huge numbers and to have that not available would be a disaster for their business.

Can't most people get Sunday Night Football on NBC with an antenna?

The real problem I had with watching the Notre Dame game on Peacock was that you can't easily flip back and forth to any other game. Thus, I stopped watching the Notre Dame game.

That’s a good point. One of my favorite game day watching traditions is tuning to all my various football channels on Hulu live so that all my “recents” are games, and I can commercial dodge by flipping around for hours. Glorious. Having to go in and out of various streaming services prevents that, unless you just have one game going on your laptop.

Also as someone who’s never watched Red Zone, I enjoyed a free day of it this past Sunday and I get the hype.

Back