• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which is more useless at your workplace: IT or HR?

Which is worse?

• Total voters
So IT blocked our social media marketing coordinator from Facebook and Twitter overnight and sent her an email saying "We noticed you've been spending an unreasonable amount of time on those two sites and have earned restricted access therein." The first email back, she politely sent them that she was the social media coordinator and that she needed those sites for her everyday work, and that she would be spending all day on them, essentially. They requested a meeting with her supervisor for Monday of next week to talk about it. She's running around this morning saying "I'M THE SOCIAL MEDIA COORDINATOR."

Makes sense. Facebook is blocked here at work, the company finally created a Facebook page and was trumpeting this as some grand achievement, promoting it among the employee base saying "(go home and) LOG ON AND LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE!!!!!!!!!!1!!!11``"

Then again, this is the same company who has since released some video game app (we're a financial services company... what?) that they're also so incredibly proud of, saying "GO DOWNLOAD THIS APP FROM THE APP STORE TODAY!!!!" except the download is literally 300 MB

We have been so inundated with demands to use social media as a work tool that the lines between personal and work use have disappeared. I have zero social media presence and refuse to use that shit for work or anything else. And plenty of co-workers remind me how smart I am: many of them have "friended" their bosses and boss' bosses and we have almost weekly instances of people seeing things that weren't intended for their management or co-workers to see.

Don't put your pen in the company ink.

Makes sense. Facebook is blocked here at work, the company finally created a Facebook page and was trumpeting this as some grand achievement, promoting it among the employee base saying "(go home and) LOG ON AND LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE!!!!!!!!!!1!!!11``"

Then again, this is the same company who has since released some video game app (we're a financial services company... what?) that they're also so incredibly proud of, saying "GO DOWNLOAD THIS APP FROM THE APP STORE TODAY!!!!" except the download is literally 300 MB

That app is probably the worst decision this fine company has ever made. Aside from hiring us.

right now it's HR. my supervisor wants to talk about a promotion for me but says she cannot until some "HR behind the scenes stuff is taken care of." she wouldn't elaborate, but said it would take a few weeks. I'm getting antsy here.

can anyone in an IT role give some insight as to just how much is done to look into employee's activity? just trying to figure out how screwed i am.

I work in IT, and this is what I relay to people who ask. Yes, everything is monitored. However, if you are spending most of your day surfing the web/facebook/etc.... the first thing your supervisor is going to notice is that your work is not being done, and that is going to raise red flags. Get your work done and it really is a not an issue.

just figured out today that HR has mysteriously shorted me one day's pay and 2 weeks' worth of time off accrual for no apparent reason. gonna be fun sorting this out. Facepalm

For me it's IT, I know they are bogged down and all but their communication skills are horrible.

i only voted HR because "real estate" wasn't on the poll

Having a physical place to do business, like a store or a warehouse or an office, seems important.

well i certainly didn't need a real estate dept

Back