• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Which is more useless at your workplace: IT or HR?

Which is worse?

• Total voters

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
I asked the chat thread, but they were too busy talking about dusting and doing dishes and stuff.

With all apologies to the dutiful OGBoards IT and HR workers adding tons of value and cheer and smiles to their workplace.

Our HR benefits people are awesome.

Our HR talent acquisition/promotion people are terrible.

IT is neither seen nor heard until needed - so I would say effective.

Our AV Facility people (set up teleconferences, presentations, etc.) are smug little assholes.

I asked the chat thread, but they were too busy talking about dusting and doing dishes and stuff.

With all apologies to the dutiful OGBoards IT and HR workers adding tons of value and cheer and smiles to their workplace.

Why are you hating on someone's uselessness? I thought you were of the "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need" school of thought.

Here comes the IT butthurt. I can feel it.

I'm just curious.

People who don't know what other people do often think other jobs are useless. I'm completely fulfilled in my job and with the value I give my company.

SBTtoy works in HR-IT. Nothing gets done

:eek: that's a thing???

Why are you hating on someone's uselessness? I thought you were of the "from each according to his ability, to each according to his need" school of thought.

i think it's a function of many organizations that don't effectively use HR and IT that makes them so bad. they often aren't bad people, or bad workers, they're just not put in a position to add value.

What do you do, Townie?

I work in scholarly publishing, specifically electronic publishing strategy.

IT serves to tell us to restart our computers and put a stranglehold on what we can and can't do with our hardware/software, like update Adobe or install Chrome or go to almost any website. They tied their horse to the Microsoft/Sharepoint suite, built an awful in-house CMS and/or did a terrible job marketing it to the company, because it doesn't get used, and frequently pass off automation and IT-related tech tasks to employees in other departments.

HR is almost exclusively hiring and benefits. We have separate committees made up of people from different departments that do cool stuff like skill shares, career advancement, financial planning, healthy workplace, etc. In the sense that HR gets out of the way of those things, they do a great job.

i think it's a function of many organizations that don't effectively use HR and IT that makes them so bad. they often aren't bad people, or bad workers, they're just not put in a position to add value.

It often helps if the organization is in the tech industry.

Changed the thread to say "at your workplace" because I'm interested to read about the kinds of places that get these departments right. Like, I'm guessing Google does a pretty baller job in both depts.

i think both can be pretty useful. depends on your definition of IT, too. i hated on project management big time at my last job when they had way too much control, but you learn to appreciate those guys too when you don't have any around.

HR's usually pretty good about getting me what I want

And I've never had a problem dealing with IT in any job I've ever had, both with small and large companies.

So doofus/numbers?

Back