• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black Mirror

YES! Not having DirecTV, and reading about this show over the past few weeks and getting raging nerd boners, I finally broke down 2 nights ago and figured out how to download the first season. Watched the first episode, National Anthem, and dug it. Completely crazy. Really looking forward to tearing into the remaining 5 over the next couple weeks.

It's on Directv's Audience Network, formerly 101, and is fantastic. It's kind of like a modern day Twilight Zone where technology or society takes a slight turn for the worse. It's a high budget, BBC series where every episode is unrelated to the next except that they all keep within the larger theme. The second episode, where everyone has a chip behind their ear that records your entire life and lets you watch/share whenever you want, was bought out and will be a Robert Downey Jr. movie.

Here's a better recap of the series than what I could spell out...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10117453/the-remarkable-black-mirror

It's amazing TV.

any way to see this for those without direct tv?

It's on Directv's Audience Network, formerly 101, and is fantastic. It's kind of like a modern day Twilight Zone where technology or society takes a slight turn for the worse. It's a high budget, BBC series where every episode is unrelated to the next except that they all keep within the larger theme. The second episode, where everyone has a chip behind their ear that records your entire life and lets you watch/share whenever you want, was bought out and will be a Robert Downey Jr. movie.

Here's a better recap of the series than what I could spell out...

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10117453/the-remarkable-black-mirror

It's amazing TV.

I'm glad you posted that Grantland article. Andy Greenwald is a pretty good reviewer.

Watched the entire series. All the episodes are good, some are amazing. White Bear is my favorite.

Dear God, the 2nd episode -- Fifteen Million Merits. Wow.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've seen 2 so far -- National Anthem and 15 Million Merits. I have a feeling both of those are going to stay with me for a while. Totally unique.

Also, if you like this show, you should really check out The Returned on the Sundance Channel.

I've seen 2 so far -- National Anthem and 15 Million Merits. I have a feeling both of those are going to stay with me for a while. Totally unique.

Also, if you like this show, you should really check out The Returned on the Sundance Channel.

3 episodes into The Returned. Enjoying it.

FWIW I wouldn't put those episodes in the top 3 of the series. For me it goes:

White Bear

Be Right Back/ The Entire History of You - These are probably the two actual "best" episodes, personal preference aside. They hit the closest to home regarding the advancements in technology and its effect on us in a scary and eerie way.

National Anthem/ 15 Million Merits

The Waldo Moment - The last episode that's been done, and I think the one that tried to make the broadest statement. It's good but my least favorite. It's like saying which season of The Wire you prefer least.

Also the creator Charlie Brooker is a genius. He had another show called Dead Set about the contestants of the UK Big Brother house being the only ones to survive a zombie apocalypse that's pretty funny, satirical, and at the same time has The Walking Dead action elements. He also had a Daily Show type show but broader that took a critical eye at any subject, not just politics. This parody of how news is delivered from some years back is brilliant.

This is now streaming on Netflix. You boners should all check this out.

So I'm starting to watch this but the first comment on Netflix is about how I should skip the first episode and go back to it after watching the others because it is not as good. SHOULD I SKIP IT????

So I'm starting to watch this but the first comment on Netflix is about how I should skip the first episode and go back to it after watching the others because it is not as good. SHOULD I SKIP IT????

I didn't do this, and it's the only one I've watched (I'll definitely be watching more), but it is defs kinda fucked up.

I think I read there is a Christmas special coming out (no joke).

Back