• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake County Schools Delayed Two Hours on 1/7/2014 because it is...

For the record, when I was a kid many moons ago in Wake County we got out early fairly regularly for hot weather.

This is bullshit. I'm paying for half my staff to sit at home with their kids for the morning because the kids can't go to school yet ... because it is fucking cold out? It has been completely dry for days, there is no ice on the roads. The argument about kids without winter coats is garbage ... sure you don't send them out in a sweatshirt, but 5 shirts on top of each other will do the job, just like when I was a kid. Think of the kid in A Chrismtas Story getting wedged into his ancient stay-puff snowsuit ... today's sweatshirts layered would be a helluva lot warmer and more comfortable than that thing was, especially since every kid now has some sort of UnderArmor to go underneath it.

No wonder we are such a nation of pussies. Going to be the slightest bit uncomfortable? Just say fuck it and go do something else.

What is the rationale for a delay over a cancellation if the temp isn't going to increase but a couple of degrees during the delay?

This is bullshit. I'm paying for half my staff to sit at home with their kids for the morning because the kids can't go to school yet ... because it is fucking cold out? It has been completely dry for days, there is no ice on the roads. The argument about kids without winter coats is garbage ... sure you don't send them out in a sweatshirt, but 5 shirts on top of each other will do the job, just like when I was a kid. Think of the kid in A Chrismtas Story getting wedged into his ancient stay-puff snowsuit ... today's sweatshirts layered would be a helluva lot warmer and more comfortable than that thing was, especially since every kid now has some sort of UnderArmor to go underneath it.

No wonder we are such a nation of pussies. Going to be the slightest bit uncomfortable? Just say fuck it and go do something else.

Love it when a baseball fan talks about people being pussies.

Seriously, though-you should boss up and fire your staff!!! Fuck paying them to sit home. FIRE THEIR GOLDBRICKING ASSES!! It's up to you, 2&2, to stem this tide of pussyness!!! Fuck yeah!!

What is the rationale for a delay over a cancellation if the temp isn't going to increase but a couple of degrees during the delay?

I think delay means you don't have to make up the day, so they've "addressed" the issue but can still count it as a day of school. (That's how it is in NJ, at least)

Thermal absorption. Clear skies= sun comes out= materials (like walls, roofs, structure) absorb heat= reduce chances something will freeze/break.

I remember taking 2 hours off from school the 2nd Friday of every March to watch the #1 vs. #8 game in the ACC Tournament. Kids now don't get to do that. Thanks Swafford.

Thermal absorption. Clear skies= sun comes out= materials (like walls, roofs, structure) absorb heat= reduce chances something will freeze/break.

Yeah, but when the difference in air temp is from 9 to 12 degrees, an hour of thermal absorption max (buses were still out before the sun rose this morning in Charlotte) makes no difference. When you're talking a rise from 30-33 degrees and some precipitation on the road as is typical for a winter delay in the South, sure, there's a big difference. But there's nothing on the roads and no chance that a little bit of sun would help anyway at these temps.

TOWNIE, SACK UP. WE'VE TALKED ABOUT THIS. GROW A PAIR.

haha what? i walked to my gym at 5 this AM, almost a mile away, and it was 0 degrees outside. i'm not a TOUGH GUY either. super puss.

just don't get how everything in the world becomes a referendum for generational toughness.

I'm glad jhmd trusts the bus driver to drive his kids on icy roads at 7:15 in the morning.

and there's no other way for moisture to get on the roads that could then freeze?

I hate to be forced to take jhmd's side on anything, but the roads in Wake country were bone dry yesterday, last night and today.

That said, I am okay with a delay because certain schools take time to heat up, buses have trouble starting etc.

That said, I am okay with a delay because certain schools take time to heat up, buses have trouble starting etc.

If these little turds can't sit in a cold classroom for a few hours, what are we going to do when the Chinese finally decide to invade? It's going to be awfully cold in those internment camps that they throw you pussies into.

Well this is a slight exaggeration considering it precipitated .11 inches yesterday. It was dry by the middle of the afternoon, but hasn't been "dry for days."

This is absurd. I hate to play the "things weren't like this in my day card", but come on. I grew up in NJ and never missed a day of school because it was cold. Snow and ice, yes. But just cold?

This is all about liability.

I grew up in Indiana and we certainly missed school because of cold. Now, it was sub -20 windchill on those days, not in the teens.

Well this is a slight exaggeration considering it precipitated .11 inches yesterday. It was dry by the middle of the afternoon, but hasn't been "dry for days."

Sorry, was talking about here in the Charlotte area. I don't believe there has been any precipitation whatsoever since Saturday night / early Sunday morning.

Wed, January 19, 1994 - low was 0, high was 18. It was cold. I really can't believe I went to class.

Sorry, was talking about here in the Charlotte area. I don't believe there has been any precipitation whatsoever since Saturday night / early Sunday morning.
0.33 inches of rain in center city Charlotte on Sunday.
http://www.weather.com/weather/pastweather/Charlotte+NC+28202:4:US?startdate=20140105
0.22 inches of rain in center city Charlotte yesterday (that was late Sunday night/early Monday morning).
http://www.weather.com/weather/yesterday/Charlotte+NC+28202:4:US?startdate=20140106

Last edited:
Back