• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake County Schools Delayed Two Hours on 1/7/2014 because it is...

Yeah! Let's let our kids stand outside in negative temps while they wait for a bus!

I have fond memories of spitting loogies on the stop sign and watching them freeze while waiting on the bus.

Ditto in Richmond.

Heard some folks next door having the conversation of whether or not people should be coming into work tomorrow.

Wussification of America to the extreme.

I'm OK with it. Some donk parents don't dress their kids properly and they end up freezing their ass off at the bus stop. Law$uit.

not like they won't have to make up the days
i love how stuff like this becomes a referendum for how TOUGH ppl are

I don't know about elsewhere in the world, but we still have a few inches of snow on the ground and it's warm enough to melt some today, which should create some nice ice overnight once it drops dramatically into the single digits

*I have no idea how true that assessment is, just my very amateur forecast

What about Buncombe County? They delayed or closed?

Because it's cold or because there is a high risk of icy roads early in the morning?

The buses will probably need some jumping in the morning. Waiting until the sun comes up gives them some wiggle room.

not like they won't have to make up the days
i love how stuff like this becomes a referendum for how TOUGH ppl are

It's an extension of the offended at the offended. "I CAN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE CAN'T JUST DEAL WITH THE COLD! I CAN'T DEAL WITH THE INABILITY TO DEAL WITH THE COLD!"

What about Buncombe County? They delayed or closed?

No delays/closing in Buncombe county
There were flurries this morning and all day but only the most nervous grandma would be worried about them. Wasn't that cold this AM (will be tonight and tomorrow AM though)

Because it's cold or because there is a high risk of icy roads early in the morning?

Or we could hit taxpayers with a bill to equip buses with engine block heaters and snow tires... but then dopes like jhmd would howl about the waste and suggest they just take a snow-day which I'll almost bet has already been allocated in the school calendar.

Or you could have the first bus slide off the road and dopes like jhmd would howl about how incompetent government injured or killed those kids.

Dopes howling is fun, either way you look at it.

Pretty hilarious that schools are delayed tomorrow, but at least they aren't cancelled. If they were, I'd be all in on JH's comments.

Or we could hit taxpayers with a bill to equip buses with engine block heaters and snow tires... but then dopes like jhmd would howl about the waste and suggest they just take a snow-day which I'll almost bet has already been allocated in the school calendar.

Or you could have the first bus slide off the road and dopes like jhmd would howl about how incompetent government injured or killed those kids.

Hey, whatever gets my kid out of the house!

My wife doesn't teach in Wake but I know that they did not schedule for any snow days and if school gets canceled she has to go in on a Saturday ftl.

Same delay in Mecklenburg. No chance of precipitation. The only explanation given for the delay is that it's going to be cold...

Meanwhile, according to the hourly forecast, those 2 hours should be good for a warmup of 2-3 degrees. Facepalm

Last edited:
The county I grew up in would often delay because some of the older schools wouldn't be able to warm up enough for the start. Those two extra hours would give it time to allow the school to be warmer. O

Back