• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka

I'm confused. Are you saying there IS currently an obvious inside-the-UNC-family coach to take that job? If so, who? Or are you just encouraging me to keep on keeping on? If it's the latter, bro, word.

The former, joking. Their idea that they ONLY want to hire from the family is absurd. Davis, Miller, Brown, and Ferry seem to be options? Does that excite anyone? I guess they could stretch Self to being in the family if it helps them sleep at night.

Last edited:
Not spending some of the new TV money to hire the best coach you can is just sad. I don't mean the LOWF "best coach that fits at wake" either.

The university appears to be hemmorrhaging cash at an unsustainable rate, I'm not sure I get this "have to spend all this TV money ASAP" philosophy.

The university appears to be hemmorrhaging cash at an unsustainable rate, I'm not sure I get this "have to spend all this TV money ASAP" philosophy.

We've yet to see any actual support for this other than some vague message board posts.

If this is true a hell of a lot more heads should be rolling than Just bzz (assuming his is on the chopping block).

It's not about spending all the TV money right away. They could afford to pay grobe a million or so over what clausen is making. They were paying bzz over a million. They were paying Dino to go away. I would estimate that's nearly 2.5 on salaries in a year that could go to a legit hire. No retread. No LOWF mid major with little track record. No "wellman's gut hires." An honest to goodness legit hire that makes college basketball say wake forest is going to be relevant again. I want coach k, Williams and beheim I'm to be scared. I don't want them chirping platitudes for a wellman bs quote piece.

After everything that has happened over the last 4 years let's kill LOWF for once and for all.

With Catstevens counting the $$$, the possibilities are endless!

I don't want to get killed but I also know someone who knows Shaka (wouldn't say he is "close" to him) and he has told me the same thing the OP said.

I'm still convinced that Wellman won't pursue a coach whose persona would steal most of the spotlight from him. His ego won't allow it and I think makes some of his past coaching hires more understandable

I'm still convinced that Wellman won't pursue a coach whose persona would steal most of the spotlight from him. His ego won't allow it and I think makes some of his past coaching hires more understandable

When is the spotlight ever on Ron Wellman unless he's hiring piss poor coaches. I didn't have the slightest idea who he was during my graduate and undergraduate time at wake forest.

Right, because Skip Prosser was just a quiet dude who never talked to the media

Boom nailed it. This is why we are failing in basketball. How old is Wellman? When can he just move to Arbor acres and be done. Counting down the days. What a miserable fucking piece of shit. Makes me angry he makes as much as a successful person in a normal career.

#wellmanout

Right, because Skip Prosser was just a quiet dude who never talked to the media

LOL, there is always an outlier and Wellman's been here 20+ years. Look at 95% of his hires

I may have misstated, I don't think Wellman likes hiring coaches who he perceives will challenge his authority, "embarrass" the school with their sideline demeanors, and have a personality that he would deem difficult to control. Unfortunately, that type of thinking would eliminate a number of successful candidates

Last edited:
Shaka might be closer to Skip Prosser than it seems. History major at a small liberal arts college. Fond of literary quotes. Wife a Havard educated professional writer named Maya. Any writers named Maya work at Wake? We might be a fit, if he is looking for something different.

LOL, there is always an outlier and Wellman's been here 20+ years. Look at 95% of his hires

I may have misstated, I don't think Wellman likes hiring coaches who he perceives will challenge his authority, "embarrass" the school with their sideline demeanors, and have a personality that he would deem difficult to control. Unfortunately, that type of thinking would eliminate a number of successful candidates

Are you just talking in the revenue sports?

not inquiring with Shaka would be close to a criminal act against the program. I don't care if he turns us down but Ron better check with his people before going after any hunches. If you decide not to inquire because you can't pay, pack your own bags because you have failed at your job as AD. I'd rather save money on a new AD hire than on a basketball coach.

and none of these midmajor guys are gonna care if it gets out that they were the second option after Shaka said no but it would sure as hell reassure your lost fanbase that you hear them and gave it a shot

Back