• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Top 3 Choices

Shaka' success will lead to big donations to the Deacon Club. This is not the same thing. Faculty tend to resent the budgets of Athletic Departments all over the country. Wake is not excluded from this. I'm not saying Prof. Smart might not deserve a job at Wake, but Hatch just appointing her to make the hire would not go over well at all on campus.

The more Wake is on TV the more people donate to all aspects of Wake Forest.

Shaka, Wright ... grand slam hires. Howland, Masiello ... home run. Amaker, Miller would be triples. The rest are all bunt singles.

Howard is not a home run hire, maybe an infield single......don't be fooled by his final 4 runs....he is not a good fit for wake

If Shaka doesn't leave for wake, he's either determined to stay at VCU or he's waiting for duke to open up.

Duke isn't going to "open up." When K retires he will choose his successor.

Just answering the question. I suspect the Duke AD learned enough from Gutheridge's epic failure down the road to know that the job is not K's to give.

Guthridge went to 2 Final Fours in three years. WTF are you smoking?

Think about it logically. The more you hear positive things about a place or a business. The better that place or business does.

The Coach and Dr. Smart story could be an incredible narrative. They could be a golden couple. If Shaka gets us to the Final Four, there will be tons of "power couple" stories. It has 60 Minutes written all over it.

Duke isn't going to "open up." When K retires he will choose his successor.

Guthridge went to 2 Final Fours in three years. WTF are you smoking?

He also recruited all the shit players that sucked for Doherty.

Howard is not a home run hire, maybe an infield single......don't be fooled by his final 4 runs....he is not a good fit for wake

We were almost on the same wavelength. I was thinking an intentional walk. :)

I've been saying for months the price for Shaka will be $3-4M. I've posted $35M/10 and a tenured professorship for his wife as being about the sweet spot.

Before people get crazy about her job, let's think about for a minute. One of her specialties (Harvard/Northwestern grad) is entrepreneurship. This is an extremely wise business decision for our school. Shaka will bring tens of millions of dollars in revenues. Her salary and benefits are a drop in the bucket. It's a very wise use of funds and logical cost of doing business.

wake can probably get Shaka for $2.5 million a year plus wake paying the $600K VCU buyout. You can back-load the deal and fill it up with incentives and get him to the $3.5 million range

i would bet Wake can find a job for his wife if that needs to be part of the deal.

Think of it this way. Wellman wouldn't have leaked the list if Shaka's people had rejected us out of hand.

As to the faculty, Shaka's success will lead to big donations to the university fund. He will help get them raises.

Can someone remind me why we are confident Wellman has leaked a list?
Also, Shaka's wife is not currently working at VCU, correct? Why do we think she necessarily wants a teaching gig at Wake?

FYI

VCU was #46 in Kenpom the year before Shaka took over. Shaka took them to #51, #42, #38 in his first three years. Dayton was #101 when Archie took over. His first three years: #71, #65, #43.

Shaka obviously took his second team to the Final Four. As an 11-seed, VCU beat #6 Georgetown, #3 Purdue, #10 FSU (72-71), and #1 Kansas. Dayton will most likely not make the Final Four, but as an 11-seed, they have beaten #6 OSU and #3 Syracuse. They will most likely face #2 Kansas and most likely lose, but what if they play Stanford and make an Elite Eight?

Archie is a lot more likely than Shaka, especially when you consider budget. Ron better recognize he's going to be a star.

FYI

VCU was #46 in Kenpom the year before Shaka took over. Shaka took them to #51, #42, #38 in his first three years. Dayton was #101 when Archie took over. His first three years: #71, #65, #43.

Shaka obviously took his second team to the Final Four. As an 11-seed, VCU beat #6 Georgetown, #3 Purdue, #10 FSU (72-71), and #1 Kansas. Dayton will most likely not make the Final Four, but as an 11-seed, they have beaten #6 OSU and #3 Syracuse. They will most likely face #2 Kansas and most likely lose, but what if they play Stanford and make an Elite Eight?

Archie is a lot more likely than Shaka, especially when you consider budget. Ron better recognize he's going to be a star.

I would now have it:

1. Shaka
2. Amaker
3. Archie

The reality is Marshall would be crazy to leave Wichita State...unless Cal leaves KY.

I'm also laughing at the notion that hiring Archie Miller would be like hitting a triple on the vaunted Baseball Hookup Scale. I mean how much work would it really take to hire Archie Miller from Dayton? Sheesh.

FYI

Lol, I like Archie but these are pretty silly reasons for comparing them. Archie might also be the same height as Shaka and wear the same size shoe, but that's not going to help him emulate Shaka's success. His coaching ability might.

Point being, the outcome of Stanford's game has literally nothing to do with how successful Archie might be at wake.

Back