• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Latest From Country Dan

So, is Stevens tired of the NBA already?

The really nice thing is we don't have to be in any rush. We are only competing with BC, Marquette and USF now, and the $ is there with the positioning of the ACC. If nothing else, RW is doing a masterful job keeping radio silence on his end and the ends of the people he is talking with.

Stop with Brad Stevens. He's locked in with the Celtics. Let it go.

So we're waiting for the tournament to end so...what, we can offer Izzo, Donovan and Pitino?

Someone is feeding Dan a line.

Not sure why someone in AD would want to be raising expectations.

More likely someone just outside the process using Dan to apply pressure.

It makes sense now. We are getting the band back together: Donovan as HC, and Grant and Shaka as his assistants, and Battle and LaRue as the other assistants, and Chill as head of bball ops.

PROPS to RW!! Never saw that coming.

Would some close to Wellman consider Marshall a better hire than Shaka?

Stop with Brad Stevens. He's locked in with the Celtics. Let it go.

you-serious-clark.gif

I think Ph and 88 are reading this the same way....

There are folks pretty close to this search who are telling me that Wellman is swinging for the fences on this hire. They're the same people who are telling him he should. I'm actually hearing from certain quarters that to lure Shaka Smart away from VCU would be settling.

Unless Dan is way off with his sources, this sure looks more like a MEGA HIRE objective. To me that can only mean names like Billy Donovan, Tom Crean, Bill Self and Brad Stevens. Coming down a bit, maybe a Jay Wright. Is it possible ????

WAKE WILL is a big deal....very big. So is owning Joel now. Big donors waiting in the wings. Have we underestimated these factors ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bdz - just how exactly is Stevens locked-up with the Celts. Not being prissy with you, just dunno the public details of his contract. It's happened before, yes ?

Last edited:
Unless Dan is way off with his sources, this sure looks more like a MEGA HIRE objective. To me that can only mean names like Billy Donovan, Tom Crean, Bill Self and Brad Stevens. Coming down a bit, maybe a Jay Wright. Is it possible ????
Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

If Dan's source is correct, it is hard to tell who they like more than Shaka. Shaka still has a lot to learn, like toning down Havoc sometimes and teaching not rushing shots to keep up-tempo, but at 36 he is going to improve. Scary. And he makes kids pursue excellence in school and everywhere.

My fear is this is like the UVa brass when they were downright giddy about their big new football hire some time ago. They were so proud of themselves and sold it to the fan base as the greatest hire of all time. Then they announced they had bagged the Jets' HC, none other than Al Groh....

And most of the fan base bought it.

I think Ph and 88 are reading this the same way....

There are folks pretty close to this search who are telling me that Wellman is swinging for the fences on this hire. They're the same people who are telling him he should. I'm actually hearing from certain quarters that to lure Shaka Smart away from VCU would be settling.

WAKE WILL is a big deal....very big. So is owning Joel now. Big donors waiting in the wings. Have we underestimated these factors ?

Yeah. What gets me is that Dan got the idea from somewhere that Shaka hadn't won a game in the tournament in four years. Is that an honest mistake or did someone feed Dan that lie to justify somebody else?

Hey if they can pull off a Bill Self to Wake, more power to them. I just can't see how a 36 year old coach with four tournament appearances, only one first round exit, and a Final Four appearance who could feasibly coach at Wake for the next 30+ years is settling.

Last edited:
sadly, that wouldnt be the worst logical failure regarding coach performance in the last 5 years

Ph -

Yea, talk about elephant hunting....geezes.

Stevens was absolutely a joke when I wrote it, but Hondo is right, nobody is locked up on either side in coaching. Spurrier basically walked out on the Redskins because he realized he wasn't cut out to coach in the pros. It is possible. Hell, for all I know, Stevens hates coaching NBA guys in Boston for the ~8 month season, and is begging for a second chance to take RW's calls.

Back