• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Triad restaurant comings, goings and recs

Finnigans is stunning. They always seemed packed, especially when Wake students were in town. The Shepherd’s Pie Nachos were so clutch late night.

Interesting, the Shepherd's Pie Nachos are the only thing I've ever sent back to the kitchen at a restaurant in my entire life.

I’ll eat anything when I’m hammered. Weird twists on nachos are a lock.

Interesting, the Shepherd's Pie Nachos are the only thing I've ever sent back to the kitchen at a restaurant in my entire life.

I am genuinely curious - sent back for what reason, exactly? And with what expectation as to what was going to happen? Unless it's something like clearly undercooked protein, the idea of sending my food back to the kitchen, where it will be out of my sight and I will be at the mercy of the folks that prepared it the first time, doesn't seem to be worth the risk for whatever satisfaction you might gain in doing so.

I've known Opie for almost 30 years, and while I'm sad to see his pub close, he and the staff will be OK. I see him at least once a week, and while he mentioned talks with the managers, this came out of left field to me.

He'll still be around doing his Opie thing.

Last edited:
I am genuinely curious - sent back for what reason, exactly? And with what expectation as to what was going to happen? Unless it's something like clearly undercooked protein, the idea of sending my food back to the kitchen, where it will be out of my sight and I will be at the mercy of the folks that prepared it the first time, doesn't seem to be worth the risk for whatever satisfaction you might gain in doing so.

It tasted like vomit. I didn't reorder.

FWIW I’ve worked in the industry for 18 years and have never seen anyone mess with food, serve something that fell on the floor, etc. Generally send backs are treated with a gripe, a few jokes, and a bit more focus. Sending back the same dish again normally results in part of your meal being comped and the restaurant abandoning serving your table anymore.

New W-S bar alert: Bar NoLa opened over the weekend. Right near the outdoor seating for The Porch and Hoots.

The remodel on this space is great. Lots of New Orleans themes, but not overdone. A few TV's, strong beer list + 8 taps. Some traditional NO mixed drinks, etc.

New W-S bar alert: Bar NoLa opened over the weekend. Right near the outdoor seating for The Porch and Hoots.

The remodel on this space is great. Lots of New Orleans themes, but not overdone. A few TV's, strong beer list + 8 taps. Some traditional NO mixed drinks, etc.

Do they serve hurricanes?

I'd assume the hurricanes question was legit? It's the most popular drink on Bourbon St.

I have been to Dirty Fries, got the Bacon Cheeseburger fries last week. It was good, it's exactly what you think it is. Fair/Nacho type fries with all kinds of different topping options. Seemed pretty busy when I went, but I will go back. Doesn't seem like a place you'd frequent weekly, but a good craving spot.

Tried to hit up Finnigan's one last time last night before they close. Got there at 8:15 pm and at that point they weren't seating anyone else for the night. Glad they were so busy but we were disappointed. A downtown staple, for sure.

My wife loves Poppyseed Provisions, a new "cantina" (drinking/grocery establishment marketed towards women) on West End. Its in the same renovated building as a new coffee place, hair salon, and boutique. It has a bar and she's always game to go, so we basically go every weekend now. Which is totally fine, because they have booze.

Love that place. They have music on weekends, too.

I've only been to Radar once during the pandemic, but for me it's been:

Incendiary
Wise Man
Fiddlin Fish
Radar

But I might be #1 fanboy of Incendiary.

To elaborate for those of limited Horizons, as deacfan123 noted, the hurricane is a popular drink served in bars on Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

The now defunct Copelands New Orleans themed restaurants made a big deal about getting "secret" hurricane drink mix from Pat O'Briens Bourbon Street Bar.

Therefore, if this new restaurant is truly New Orleans themed, do they serve one of the signature drinks of New Orleans called the "hurricane?"

Back