• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mark Cuban on bigotry: 'None of us have complete pure thoughts'

This board does have an emo mafia, but BDZ ain't no member of it

Don't give up hope. Maybe if he works on his bench press, he will finally meet their unyielding minimum physical fitness standards next year during open enrollment. I believe in him and tomorrow is a new day.

The tweet is to cover his ass. First Cuban talked about the slippery slope" and he said this:

"I know that I'm not perfect. I know that I live in a glass house and it's not appropriate for me to throw stones. And so when I run into bigotry in organizations I control, I try to find solutions. I'll work with people. I'll send them to training, I'll send them to sensitivity training. I'll try to give them a chance to improve themselves. Because I think improving, helping people improve their lives, helping people engage with people they may fear they may not understand and helping people realize that while we all have our prejudices and bigotries, we have to learn that it's an issue that we have to control -- that it's part of my responsibility as an entrepreneur to try to solve it, not just to kick the problem down the road. Because it does my company no good, it does my customers no good, it does society no good if my response to somebody in their racism or bigotry is to say, 'It's not right for you to be here, go take your attitude somewhere else."

In his "apology" to Trayvon's Martin's family, he reiterated his belief that the content of what he said was true.

Cuban understands he has to vote to get rid of Sterling or lose countless millions in the value of the Mavs. But this is the second time he has stated the same concept. His position is very clear.

No. Jesus Christ, no.

"I agree 100% with Commissioner Silvers findings and the actions taken against Donald Sterling." - Mark Cuban, on the Twitter machine

Not 110%, eh? Sounds like somebody is hedging his noncommittal bets, a sure tell of prejudice and bigotry. I think RJ's on to something.

The tweet is to cover his ass. First Cuban talked about the slippery slope" and he said this:

"I know that I'm not perfect. I know that I live in a glass house and it's not appropriate for me to throw stones. And so when I run into bigotry in organizations I control, I try to find solutions. I'll work with people. I'll send them to training, I'll send them to sensitivity training. I'll try to give them a chance to improve themselves. Because I think improving, helping people improve their lives, helping people engage with people they may fear they may not understand and helping people realize that while we all have our prejudices and bigotries, we have to learn that it's an issue that we have to control -- that it's part of my responsibility as an entrepreneur to try to solve it, not just to kick the problem down the road. Because it does my company no good, it does my customers no good, it does society no good if my response to somebody in their racism or bigotry is to say, 'It's not right for you to be here, go take your attitude somewhere else."

In his "apology" to Trayvon's Martin's family, he reiterated his belief that the content of what he said was true.

Cuban understands he has to vote to get rid of Sterling or lose countless millions in the value of the Mavs. But this is the second time he has stated the same concept. His position is very clear.

After reading your posts for more than a decade, you'd think I'd understand by now that you're incapable of conceptualizing nuance. Yet still, here we are. Shame, shame, shame on me.

After reading your posts for more than a decade, you'd think I'd understand by now that you're incapable of conceptualizing nuance. Yet still, here we are. Shame, shame, shame on me.

why do you LIE?!?!?!?!?!?

But isn't that the same as if he was allowed to keep the Clippers? How does the forced sale benefit him?

Assuming asset values stay consistent, you are correct. I don't think it's that it benefits him as compared to just keeping the Clippers and dying holding it, but it definitely benefits him as compared to voluntarily selling the Clippers (assuming the IRS agrees that it is involuntary and that he can buy replacement property that the IRS agrees qualifies as similar or related in service or use).

It's you who doesn't the nuance here. It's you whose arrogance keeps you from seeing the obvious. There are many others who agree with me. among them are Michael Smith and Dr. Michael Eric Dyson.

I guess they and others also don't understand nuance.

It's you who doesn't the nuance here. It's you whose arrogance keeps you from seeing the obvious. There are many others who agree with me. among them are Michael Smith and Dr. Michael Eric Dyson.

I guess they and others also don't understand nuance.

"Some of my best friends are nuanced."

Cuban is right. I'm really enjoying the PC asshats in the sports media falling over themselves to make this into something scandalous.

Cuban is right. I'm really enjoying the PC asshats in the sports media falling over themselves to make this into something scandalous.

I, for one, am SO OUTRAGED ("Is everyone seeing me being outraged? How is my outraged face? I don't want to be seen not being outraged....").

Last edited:
From The New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2014/05/mark-cuban-bigotry-and-the-nba.html

"Yet Cuban’s basic discomfort with the premise of the N.B.A. punishing someone for his private statements seems to remain. On Wednesday, Cuban expanded on his earlier comments about Sterling in a video conversation with Inc. magazine:"

Irish, I guess he and all the others who agree with me don't get nuance either.

And from the Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-donald-sterling-2014-5

"Cuban wasn't talking strictly in the context of the Sterling issue here, but his comments certainly apply to what's going on with the disgraced Clippers owner.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-donald-sterling-2014-5#ixzz32Z9Mwyda

Of course Irish understands more than these and others about "nuance". Or maybe he really doesn't get it but likes to snipe knowing there's an audience that will support any attack on this target.

But isn't that the same as if he was allowed to keep the Clippers? How does the forced sale benefit him?

that's the point. If he voluntarily sold, he'd owe a bunch of tax, right now. By being forced to sell, he can defer the tax, and avoid it entirely if he dies. So if he is going to lose the Clippers, it is better for him for it to be a forced sale than a voluntary sale (assuming, of course, that he gets the same $$$ for both, or at least that the tax benefit of the forced sale overcomes any reduction in purchase price). The actual technical term is "involuntary conversion", it's section 1033 of the tax code.

A Section 1033 profit could be less than the 20% capital gain he will have to pay?

You know how I know you didn't even read the articles you linked to, RJ? (Other than historical precedence, of course.) Because I read them. In their entirety. Neither are opinion pieces ascribing motive to Cuban's statement, as you did. They're exploring what he said, how he said it, and the potential ramifications of him saying it.

I know this conflicts with your very binary sense of reality, but neither Cuban nor the articles you think "agree" with you are interested in lines in the sand, or absolutes. They're exploring complexity, forcing it in fact, upon a news cycle and society that struggles with it. (See: this thread, ESPN's coverage of Cuban's comments, etc.)

I don't know why you are compelled to make sweeping generalizations so much. It's either stupid or lazy, but I don't care enough to figure out which. I do know though, that it's those kind of sweeping generalizations that make discussions about race and prejudice in this country so damn hard in the first place.

Last edited:
"Neither are opinion pieces ascribing motive to Cuban's statement, as you did. They're exploring what he said, how he said it, and the potential ramifications of him saying it. "

Which is 100% what I did before you started the insults.

Here's my original post:

"Cuban's statements were basically a way to justify not throwing Sterling out of the NBA."

It's EXACTLY the same type of opinion in each of those pieces.

Now you'll start dancing, but there isn't an inch of space between what I opined and what others did.

Last edited:
Your immediate knee jerk position is "RJ is wrong. Let me slap him to show how superior I am."

Even in situations like this when you jump to a totally erroneous conclusion you do so knowing you'll get some support.

Back