• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fuck yeah, Science!

Uh oh.

Our solar system. Well...we've just been, umm, visited (dare I say penetrated) by a very bizarre and extremely elongated asteroid: 'Oumuamua.

Astronomers are fascinated.

_98827075_mediaitem98827074.jpg

so they're checking to see if we can detect radio signals from this thing in case it's an alien probe. Think it's still possible in 2017 to keep a lid on a confirmation of alien tech?

I prefer active panspermia. Such a cool scene :
https://youtu.be/ZHpJr7_5Mjg

Christianity said God made man in his own image. The twist here is that God is just of another species from another planet. It's not that much of a jump. Maybe the Mormons are on to something.

This is simultaneously stupid and awesome.

Dude launched a Tesla into space. Nothing posted on this thread deserves a "fuck yeah" more than that.

I just took this screenshot from the live feed. Pretty surreal.

t0mdzt.jpg

Did the main booster successfully land on SpaceX's drone-ship landing pad? I watched the live feed and the footage cut out and I haven't been able to find any updates yet.

This was a triple core first stage. Two of the three Falcon 9's landed safely on the ground after flight and should be reusable. The center one missed the landing, as noted above.

What's the big difference between this and the nasa rockets for those who have only read like an article or two on it? I know it can land again, anything else?

What's the big difference between this and the nasa rockets for those who have only read like an article or two on it? I know it can land again, anything else?

well, the landing again/re-usability is the biggest part.

The "9" in Falcon 9 stands for nine engines in the first stage. Atlas and Delta boosters have one engine. The main engines are liquid fueled. Both the Atlas and Delta can have solid fuel strap on boosters attached. Falcon doesn't do that.

The Falcon launch this week was the first flight of the three core booster configuration. Delta and Atlas have this configuration planned but never flown.

Back