• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Heads up: Potential government shutdown

The optics of hosting a $100,000 per couple party at his private club on the day the government shuts down because he blew up a bipartisan bill with a temper tantrum are kind of insane.

Too bad the rubes don’t give a fuck about optics.

It’s sad and nuts that our governing has deteriorated so in recent years.

I think Trump secretly enjoys this.

No doubt Trump's base will blame this on Democrats, but it may not work with the larger voting public. An ABC News/Washington Post poll shows that, by a 20 point margin, in the event of a government shutdown more people will blame Trump and the GOP than the Democrats. Those aren't good numbers in an election year.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/americans-blame-trump-republicans-government-shuts-poll/story?id=52465107

You think the rubes in charge of the GOP will be more likely to believe polls now? They are still celebrating their victory over statistics a year later.

That Cotton guy is a piece of work. Gets political cover for shittiness cause he was in a war

Last edited:
You think the rubes in charge of the GOP will be more likely to believe polls now? They are still celebrating their victory over statistics a year later.

Of course the rubes won't believe the polls, and of course they're going to blame the Democrats no matter what, but if the larger public blames the GOP for a government shutdown (if it happens) then it will be just another negative for them in an election year. At this point the rubes are a lost cause - what the Democrats should be focusing on is firing up their own base and winning over independents and suburban GOP women. If that happens, the rubes won't be celebrating after this November.

No doubt Trump's base will blame this on Democrats, but it may not work with the larger voting public. An ABC News/Washington Post poll shows that, by a 20 point margin, in the event of a government shutdown more people will blame Trump and the GOP than the Democrats. Those aren't good numbers in an election year.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/americans-blame-trump-republicans-government-shuts-poll/story?id=52465107

Actually even Fox News published a poll tonight that showed basically 50% of voters would blame either trump or the GOP compared to 25% who blame Democrats. I'll see if I can find it.

Actually even Fox News published a poll tonight that showed basically 50% of voters would blame either trump or the GOP compared to 25% who blame Democrats. I'll see if I can find it.

CNN has been running one that blames Senate Democrats more than Congressional Republicans or Trump but less than the two combined.

CNN has been running one that blames Senate Democrats more than Congressional Republicans or Trump but less than the two combined.

I saw that one earlier tonight, I think it's something like 31% would blame Congressional Democrats, and 47% combined would blame Trump/Congressional Republicans. Similar to the numbers in the ABC News/Washington Post poll. The breakdown was 31% Democrats, 26% Congressional Republicans, and 21% Trump. It did contain other bad news for Trump on immigration - 84% supported DACA, and only 38% approved of Trump's immigration policies, while 57% disapproved. Congress overall had only an 18% approval rating - not good for the GOP, given that they are in the majority.

Here's the Fox News poll. Slightly higher number than the 25% for Dems I referenced earlier but still pretty close.

Also LOL at the dumbass at Fox News who probably saw Democrats with the highest number and interpreted the poll as evidence of bad news for Dems. That's what happens when you don't educate yourself and call everything you don't like fake news.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I honestly expected for them to have a deal by now.

Yeah I thought we would have had a deal by now as well. I give credit to Dems for holding the line. They have the better hand and should leverage it.

Back