• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Heads up: Potential government shutdown

Republicans hate government so much that they didn't bother to learn how to govern.

Modern politics in a nutshell.

Yeah I thought we would have had a deal by now as well. I give credit to Dems for holding the line. They have the better hand and should leverage it.

I listened to NPR all day. My main takeaway from all the news and analysis was that the Dems were going to hold their line and force the GOP to act. But I thought the GOP would come up with something. I have low expectations of them, but I thought they'd at least get this done. Just turned on CNN for the first time in awhile to see it in action.

Timing sucks. I've been emailing with NSF folks all day. I just realized I need to download some stuff and fill out some forms on the website just in case.

Last edited:
Modern politics in a nutshell.

I listened to NPR all day. My main takeaway from all the news and analysis was that the Dems were going to hold their line and force the GOP to act. But I thought the GOP would come up with something. I have low expectations of them, but I thought they'd at least get this done. Just turned on CNN for the first time in awhile to see it in action.

Timing sucks. I've been emailing with NSF folks all day. I just realized I need to download some stuff and fill out some forms on the website just in case.

NSF? Assume this is a government funded org?

I hear you...my wife works for the govt. She's likely fine for a few weeks but if this thing goes past that (which is doubtful) then we're out of roughly half of our monthly salary. Not the end of the world for us but a shutdown has significant consequences.

Watching the live feed, I could tell which side were the Democrats and which side were the Republicans simply by checking out which side had women on it.

Democrats have a big group huddled up, with Schumer sitting in the middle of it and Warren holding court next to him. Republicans are a bunch of scattered huddles of twos and threes. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS

White House report from McConnell: we will not negotiate with democrats who hold hostage American citizens by trying to give illegal immigrants rights. or something

NSF? Assume this is a government funded org?

I hear you...my wife works for the govt. She's likely fine for a few weeks but if this thing goes past that (which is doubtful) then we're out of roughly half of our monthly salary. Not the end of the world for us but a shutdown has significant consequences.

NSF. The national science folks.

Now Mitch McConnell is grandstanding.

Can anyone honestly watch Mitch McConnell and think he has your best interest in mind?

He's a wrinkly old 85 year old dude with a douchey southern drawl and a bullshit grin.

Chuck PUT THE BORDER WALL ON THE TABLE. Trump seemed like he'd accept. Then he later refused. Republicans got to him

"[Trump] backed off at the first sign of pressure". So true, Chuck, so true.

Back