• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

This is a joke, right? Cam's ceiling is Elway.

crazy-talk.gif

Tuffalo, I've been waiting for an NFL team to get 3 mobile QBs and run something like the Oregon offense. Would be fun to watch, but no team has taken that leap of faith except Philly to a lesser extent. And I still don't think Kelly is happy with his QB options at present. Do you think Chip would be interested in Hundley at #20, even though he's not overly fast?

And while I have you here, what the heck is Buffalo going to do at QB? Sounds like your GM is willing to go with Manuel, which sounds crazy to me. I'm guessing Hoyer is only going to go to a team that is willing to try him as a starter because he doesn't want to be the mentor to a young prodigy again. Not sure what the other options are. Maybe take Fitz back if Houston signs Hoyer?

Yeah, I didn't mean anything against your take since it IS how NFL types think. If nobody will run those systems, you might as well write off QBs as system QBs.

I think the Bills really will stick with Manuel. Seems everybody in the building hated Marrone (including his coordinators!), which will buy EJ some time. I dunno. EJ had some good moments and some bad moments. But I don't think it's nothing that Orton got worse as the season went on. Seems EVERYTHING BAD was MARRONE'S FAULT.

I don't see any comparison between Winston and Cam, other than they are black. Cam's combination of power and speed is unique for a QB, and Cam is still developing his game as a traditional drop-back QB; Winston has always played that style.

The closest comparison to Winston is Roethlisberger. Both are big and sturdy with bodies that keep plays alive and big arms that allow them to make throws that few QB can make (which also leads to picks). I don't think that there is a d-coordinator in either college or pro football that would see any similarity between the threats raised by Winston versus Newton.

Always funny to me in baseball, football or basketball when players get compared because of their color even though their games are nothing alike.

Nonny, folks opinions of Cam here are all over the place. Same goes for guys like Rivers, Flacco, Eli, Ryan and Stafford. To me they're all franchise QBs you can win with if you have a decent team around them. Differentiating between those guys is splitting hairs - they all look great at times and have their own weaknesses and off games. That said, yes, we could be lumping Jameis in with those guys in 2-3 years. But I don't think we'll be lumping him in with Rodgers or Luck. OTOH, we could see Jameis hanging out with VY and JFF out of the league in 2-3 years.

Ph, if you're Tampa or Tennessee, what else do you do? Stick with the likes of Locker, Mettenberger and Glennon? Or trade down for extra picks and pick up the fragile Sam Bradford? To me, the only way to bring hope to either franchise is to take Jameis or Mariotta.

NFL Offseason Thread - Famous Jameis Enters Draft

I've personally watched Jameis play like complete trash in two different halves of collegiate football, against teams with a maximum of 1-2 future NFL defenders.

So I might pump the brakes a little ApeTit

I've personally watched Jameis play like complete trash in two different halves of collegiate football, against teams with a maximum of 1-2 future NFL defenders.

And this guy KNOWS sports.

Nonny, folks opinions of Cam here are all over the place. Same goes for guys like Rivers, Flacco, Eli, Ryan and Stafford. To me they're all franchise QBs you can win with if you have a decent team around them. Differentiating between those guys is splitting hairs - they all look great at times and have their own weaknesses and off games. That said, yes, we could be lumping Jameis in with those guys in 2-3 years. But I don't think we'll be lumping him in with Rodgers or Luck. OTOH, we could see Jameis hanging out with VY and JFF out of the league in 2-3 years.

Ph, if you're Tampa or Tennessee, what else do you do? Stick with the likes of Locker, Mettenberger and Glennon? Or trade down for extra picks and pick up the fragile Sam Bradford? To me, the only way to bring hope to either franchise is to take Jameis or Mariotta.

Tampa is stuck. Their most glaring need is QB in a weak QB year. Except for the FSU faithful, I think most Bucs fans won't get much hope from Jameis. They have to pick Jameis much like the Panthers had to pick Cam. The Bucs just have a worse alternative.

point shaving, doesn't count.

I don't see any comparison between Winston and Cam, other than they are black. Cam's combination of power and speed is unique for a QB, and Cam is still developing his game as a traditional drop-back QB; Winston has always played that style.

The closest comparison to Winston is Roethlisberger. Both are big and sturdy with bodies that keep plays alive and big arms that allow them to make throws that few QB can make (which also leads to picks). I don't think that there is a d-coordinator in either college or pro football that would see any similarity between the threats raised by Winston versus Newton.

Always funny to me in baseball, football or basketball when players get compared because of their color even though their games are nothing alike.

For the record, my original comparison that got all of this started was that they were both QBs that took flack for bad decisions made in college.

Mel Kiper Jr. today on Jameis:

Winston is the most advanced QB in this class

While NFL teams will have major questions about Winston's makeup and his off-field issues, between the lines he shows the ability to anticipate, read defenses, get through his progressions, utilize fabulous pocket sense and footwork, and deliver the ball all over the field with pace. When teams ask Winston to digest schemes and concepts and show them things on the whiteboard, they're going to see a sharp football mind. His football acumen is a big reason he was so successful as a redshirt freshman -- when teams tried to dial up the pressure, Winston was able to see it and take advantage. He processes things quickly.

In terms of the ability to transition quickly to the NFL and deal with more complexity in schemes, Winston is going to get high marks. When you factor in the intangibles, it's easy to rate Mariota ahead of Winston, but there is still plenty of skepticism about whether Mariota would be as good if the system at Oregon wasn't such a perfect fit for his skill set.

Todd McShay today on Jameis:

Winston is better prospect than Mariota

“With Winston, there’s very few cons when you talk about things between the lines,’’ McShay said. “Even in game preparation, inside the facility, all those type of things, he’s a very smart individual. He picks up football concepts very quickly. He knows how to go through progression reads. He’s comfortable in the pocket, can manipulate the pocket, he feels pressure coming. He’s not the quickest quarterback. But he’s mobile enough and strong enough to extend plays with his feet. He anticipates throws as well as any quarterback in the last couple of drafts.

But didn't his repeated yelling at his head coach in multiple games really impress you? He's a natural leader with his ultra-fast ability to point fingers and yell at linemen and receivers. He'll be the biggest NFL winner since Manziel.

I made that comparison last week and it's been making the rounds for awhile. It's a pretty strong comparison on and off the field.

Back