• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

How would I site a prediction of a worst case scenario?

I gave you the historical context of white violent mobs in response to black politicians winning elections during Reconstruction.

Trump wants to use the military to quell protests. He eggs on white supremacists with the help of conservative media.

I agree with the historical analysis and Trump egging on white supremacists. But that is a different planet than the 21st century American military supporting it. You saw the day after the battle of Lafayette Square the SECDEF, without consultation with the WH, say he was opposed to invoking the insurrection act. And you had dozens of former DoD officials (to include Mattis, Dempsey, Mullen, and Powell) condemning the mere presence of DoD officials (Esper, Milley) in that photo op. The next day, you also had the Chiefs of every single service issue statements saying the military supports the American's expression of free speech.

The only place I'm aware of investigations into the government's actions at the Battle of Lafayette Square are with the DoD IG. I'm particularly interested in their outcome.

Trump may try to make DoD his own personal security force (as he has with DoJ), but if there is one institution that Trump hasn't completely bent to his will, it's the military. Tom Cotton's view =/= DoD's leadership and institutional memory.

Edited to add: you're right you used subjunctive mood, I'm replying to say why it would not happen in reality.

Last edited:
It’s interesting to me that in the middle of a health crisis and a racial crisis, this administration can’t find anyone who is black and/or a doctor to talk to and/or about these issues.

It’s interesting to me that in the middle of a health crisis and a racial crisis, this administration can’t find anyone who is black and/or a doctor to talk to and/or about these issues.

To be fair, the surgeon general has been out front on this. Ben Carson opened his mouth last week to say that NFL players should have said what they actually did say four years ago.

Somehow they came up with a plan dumber than one indoor convention. Two indoor conventions.

So people from all over the country are going to travel to Charlotte and then even more people are going to Jacksonville.

Forget the runoff they should just have a good old fashion duel.

Indeed. Instead of having primaries, maybe the GOP should just switch to a Hunger Games-type format to pick their candidates. Everybody gets a gun and they stalk each other in the woods until only one of them is left, and they're declared the candidate for that office in the election. Survival of the Fittest in action - Trump would love it.

Last edited:
They don't want to hunt someone that can hunt them back. Defenseless animals? Yep. Poor people with little or no societal clout? Yes. People of color they can treat as prey? They're all in as long as they can't shoot back.

That Pence picture was strange.
200611064550-pence-deleted-tweet-super-169.jpg

The black guy is up front. The perhaps Indian guy is near the front. It's almost all men to Pence's left and disproportionately women on his right.

Back