• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

Right. Like saying H&M is evil and only dumb poors shop there.

He's got a lot of problem exposing under his belt and no solution proposing. Unless you think his hashtags have been big wins.

Like I said, I enjoy his show and find him funny. But he's really biased and often obnoxious and I think it'd be worse if I didn't agree with him so often.

resurrecting this b/c I was out of internet range all weekend: so you disagree with his presentation but not the actual facts/issues presented?

Yep. A recent study asked people what country they would immigrate to, U.S. Was number 1 by a large margin. Something 120 million people said they would migrate here if allowed. U.S. be the best homies.

That is one huge poll.

(That's what she said)

Yeah, hang on a second. A study polled (presumably considerably more than) 120 million people? About desired immigration destinations? Wut?

america is the best country in the world by a comically large margin. it's not even remotely close.

somehow (complainers like oliver are maybe part of the reason), a lot of ignorant youth/millennials are losing this fact. i find it pretty strange. not sure i'd call it self-loathing. maybe just a growing breed of complainers.

my guess is there's a pretty strong correlation with how far back you have to trace your family line to immigrants -- the more recently your family immigrated to the us, the more likely you are to realize how much better america is than any other country.

america is the best country in the world by a comically large margin. it's not even remotely close.

somehow (complainers like oliver are maybe part of the reason), a lot of ignorant youth/millennials are losing this fact. i find it pretty strange. not sure i'd call it self-loathing. maybe just a growing breed of complainers.

my guess is there's a pretty strong correlation with how far back you have to trace your family line to immigrants -- the more recently your family immigrated to the us, the more likely you are to realize how much better america is than any other country.

meh

hedonic adaptation + marginal utility are probably far stronger impacts on individual happiness than generational stuff

it's not like we're the first generation to realize the american dream isn't for everyone

How people think John Oliver is funny is beyond me. I hate his personality in general. His entire persona revolves around this circle jerk of indignation that makes me want to puke. As Townie mentioned, the more you know about a subject he's speaking on, the more you realize he is talking 100% out of his ass. Plus, here's the real kicker, HE ISN'T FUNNY. The shouting and repeating of lame similes just doesn't do it for me.

I watched this past Sunday's John Oliver last night and thought the topic of shale oil drilling in North Dakota was a pretty weak story for him to go with, especially compared to most of his other stories. The oil boom in ND, including all of the massive problems (social, environmental, occupational, etc.), has been reported on exhaustively over the past 5 or 6 years. Sure, there are still problems that persist, but I didn't think the segment really said much of anything, and nothing really groundbreaking or thought-provoking.

If there was a composite ranking for the best country in the world, the US would be #1 and I don't even know who would be remotely close as #2

if i had to say, prob canada, then germany, japan and maybe australia.

Gotta love those homogenous all white societies. Well until recently. These new immigrants are a little unsettling.

America is the best. It's really not close.

except sweden takes a fuckton of immigrants and wants more. #whitepeopleSLAM fail

Best place to live? Maybe.

But America has done a bunch of shit to maintain it's ability to be the best at the expense of others.

Yeah, we've made some great strides, but humans are still animals, and outside the pearly gates of America and most of Europe, its everyone for themselves with zero guaranties and little to no protection from the law. That's how the world works.

Best place to live? Maybe.

But America has done a bunch of shit to maintain it's ability to be the best at the expense of others.

like what?

america absolutely dominates the world culturally. and not through imperialism (for the most part).

Hang on, I'm looking for the bible passage that says America is the best. I know Jesus was dropping that knowledge somewhere.

It's in the Mormon bible, but the part that says Jerusalem is in Missouri.

Back