• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jon Stewart is leaving the Daily Show

I'm glad the Daily Show hasn't missed a beat. Without the daily show I'd have to form my own opinions but with it, I can just make snarky comments and reap those precious Internet points. It really helps my sense of moral superiority.

"Has done" suggest past tense. You mention imperialism. I think the wide reach of the US military is a form of imperialism.

"Has done" suggest past tense. You mention imperialism. I think the wide reach of the US military is a form of imperialism.
Not mention the very real connections between globalizing American cultural production and imperialism (eg "weaponizing" jazz and abstract modern art during the cold war).

agreed, america's military aggression is not one of its strengths, especially since it's so unnecessary.

I was referring to past and present.

All of our cultural greatness comes from immigrant communities, many of whom are here because of economic or military devastation for which the United States was directly or indirectly involved with (irony ruling needed). Just look at how NAFTA has cleared out well-paying jobs both in United States and it's neighbors. Most Mexican and Central American immigrants are here because of a lack of jobs in their home country, not because they prefer American cultural life. However, they add to our diverse culture, especially after a generation or two.

I will admit: I lived in a Central American country and the thing I missed most about the United States was the cultural diversity. The culture there was so homogeneous. I think that speaks more about me than it does about the country, but I do think that the USA's diversity is its greatest feature.

12065707_10153690942611800_6610721419315365765_n.png

It would have been funny but of course impossible if he had hosted from his hospital bed.

It would have been funny but of course impossible if he had hosted from his hospital bed.

That would have been good. They could have done a "Trevor's gone" episode in which all the correspondents take their turn at the table with wacky results.

Back