• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clinton Email Problem

Some interesting tidbits:

-There's a clip from 1996 where Hillary said she didn't keep a diary because "anything in writing could be subpoenaed".

-Colin Powell said they had to buy 40,000 computers when he became SOS in 2001 because State Dept employees hadn't had them previously.

-Lindsey Graham said he's never sent an email.

My email server just shows people's names when I get an email. Not sure how .gov is set up.

Some interesting tidbits:

-There's a clip from 1996 where Hillary said she didn't keep a diary because "anything in writing could be subpoenaed".

-Colin Powell said they had to buy 40,000 computers when he became SOS in 2001 because State Dept employees hadn't had them previously.

-Lindsey Graham said he's never sent an email.

Does Lindsey do this so no one can track his homo activities or is he literally glued to a phone?

Hillary sexting...eewwwww

My email server just shows people's names when I get an email. Not sure how .gov is set up.

You server shows a lot more than just the name. Your client, on the other hand, may not be set to show anything else but the name without an additional click or two. That said, there's the idea of "trusted" and "untrusted" mail within secure environments, and there is often an indication to the user of whether the mail is internal or from an external source. I would expect that the President's email address has a lot of filters on it as to what is allowed and what isn't. Hillary's domain/address would have had to have been specifically added to those filters. It's not like I can just setup an email address and send a note that will show up on the President's iPhone. Someone knew, and if they were doing their job correctly, would have told the President that his emails to Hillary weren't through secure channels whether he noticed it or not.

In the end, who cares whether Obama knew? He's on his way out. It's a humorous side story that he "doesn't know", but it detracts from the story. Hillary, Watergate investigator, critic of private emails within the Bush admin, and overseeer of firings within her State Department for use of private email for SD business, is the one who is to be worried about.

You server shows a lot more than just the name. Your client, on the other hand, may not be set to show anything else but the name without an additional click or two. That said, there's the idea of "trusted" and "untrusted" mail within secure environments, and there is often an indication to the user of whether the mail is internal or from an external source. I would expect that the President's email address has a lot of filters on it as to what is allowed and what isn't. Hillary's domain/address would have had to have been specifically added to those filters. It's not like I can just setup an email address and send a note that will show up on the President's iPhone. Someone knew, and if they were doing their job correctly, would have told the President that his emails to Hillary weren't through secure channels whether he noticed it or not.

In the end, who cares whether Obama knew? He's on his way out. It's a humorous side story that he "doesn't know", but it detracts from the story. Hillary, Watergate investigator, critic of private emails within the Bush admin, and overseeer of firings within her State Department for use of private email for SD business, is the one who is to be worried about.

Racer, you're obviously familiar with the processes involved. What benefit would she gain by doing this? Was it just because she could at the time without breaking a law? It just seems really, really stupid for someone to think this wouldn't eventually be discovered.

Racer, you're obviously familiar with the processes involved. What benefit would she gain by doing this? Was it just because she could at the time without breaking a law? It just seems really, really stupid for someone to think this wouldn't eventually be discovered.

The only obvious benefit is the one that the press has already made the biggest deal of: the ability to defy the law and keep emails hidden that are supposed to be accessible as public record.

The President claims to have heard for the first time to have learned that Hillary wasn't using a .gov email address from the media's reports.

That's a familiar--albeit not credible---tune, but even the most willing dupe is going to have a tough time swallowing that whopper. Either she never sent him an email while serving as his Secretary of State, he didn't recognize anything unusual about her domain or he's also lying. His skills deficit as a webmaster are well-documented, but not even you guys believe that old story this time, right?

Unbelievably, the answer is yes. #homersgonnahome

The only obvious benefit is the one that the press has already made the biggest deal of: the ability to defy the law and keep emails hidden that are supposed to be accessible as public record.

Even if you delete a message off your personal server, can you still restore it if you know what you're doing? Would there still be a message logged on the recipient's server?

I think the point is that she can decide what to forward if a request is made as opposed to an independent or government official. (Since it is HER server, not the Gov server). For instance, I bet none of her requests for $$ to the Clinton foundation from this email account will get forwarded because she and her lawyers will view those emails as "personal." (I am not saying this happened, just a hypothetical...and a good reason for her to keep her emails out of the government's hands)

Last edited:
Nobody is saying her personal or Clinton foundation emails should be on .gov.

Even if you delete a message off your personal server, can you still restore it if you know what you're doing? Would there still be a message logged on the recipient's server?

On the first question: Not if you do it correctly. On the second: depends on the recipient's server. Definitely a possibility, but unless you know who the recipient is ahead of time, you have no idea where to go look.

On the first question: Not if you do it correctly. On the second: depends on the recipient's server. Definitely a possibility, but unless you know who the recipient is ahead of time, you have no idea where to go look.

Thanks Racer

[B said:
jhmd2000;2082832]The President claims to have heard for the first time to have learned that Hillary wasn't using a .gov email address from the media's reports. [/B]

That's a familiar--albeit not credible---tune, but even the most willing dupe is going to have a tough time swallowing that whopper. Either she never sent him an email while serving as his Secretary of State, he didn't recognize anything unusual about her domain or he's also lying. His skills deficit as a webmaster are well-documented, but not even you guys believe that old story this time, right?

I find it quite exciting and somewhat dangerous that as I watch the news the President is just learning it in real time with me. I know its niave to think with all his resources he might be one step ahead of regular folk but he isn't. I was thinking maybe he can get some contacts in the media and have them give him a heads up before the story airs? I don't know maybe that is too far fetched.

The whole caper is insane. The hacker/security angle is bad enough, but if you are paranoid about documenting anything shady or unethical, email isn't the way to go.

Nobody is saying her personal or Clinton foundation emails should be on .gov.

But it seems to be a rather egregious conflict of interest to be soliciting donations from the same address you use to conduct international diplomacy on behalf of the people of the United States.

Clinton slipperiness in the 90s was good enough to pass muster and keep them one step ahead of the law/ethics/morality or whatever, until Monica at least. Not sure it's good enough in the digital era, and the mere fact of appearing slippery doesn't play as well in the 2010s than it did back then. I have been saying for a long time that the Hillary inevitability angle was overplayed and stuff like this just reinforces my opinion.

Back