• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Somehow my wife and I got into a dinner conversation with our kids about LOST. We used to watch it together when we were dating and the show ended a few weeks before our oldest son’s 1st birthday. We described the show to them and they looked at us like we were crazy.

I wonder if people binge it nowadays? Such a popular show but it seems like a relic.

I thought about rewatching Lost but it's like 150 45 minute episodes. Not sure that's in the cards.

Somehow my wife and I got into a dinner conversation with our kids about LOST. We used to watch it together when we were dating and the show ended a few weeks before our oldest son’s 1st birthday. We described the show to them and they looked at us like we were crazy.

I wonder if people binge it nowadays? Such a popular show but it seems like a relic.

I think the ultimate letdown of where the show went reduces the number of people who would binge it or rewatch it. We used to have people over for a lost party when it first aired. That was a lot of fun, but the show really fizzled.

We’ve talked to our kids about it and thought about watching it, but knowing how unsatisfying it is, we’ve stayed away from it. Kind of like how we only watched the first season of heroes with them.

I never saw a single ep of LOST. Thought about checking it out a year ago but just couldn't muster up the energy.

Watched S1 of The Sex Lives of College Girls on HBOMax over the past couple of days. I enjoyed it. It's just funny and easy to watch. Not groundbreaking TV or anything, just good entertainment.

I think the ultimate letdown of where the show went reduces the number of people who would binge it or rewatch it. We used to have people over for a lost party when it first aired. That was a lot of fun, but the show really fizzled.

We’ve talked to our kids about it and thought about watching it, but knowing how unsatisfying it is, we’ve stayed away from it. Kind of like how we only watched the first season of heroes with them.

If you watch again i'd be curious as to your take as i thought it fizzled and remembered vaguely the wheel to go back in time but on rewatch the wheel wasnt as dumb as i felt at the time and the end seemed to be much more enjoyable.

The characters on this show are by far the most well done characters i have ever seen on a tv show and loved having them back in my life on the rewatch

Most well done TV characters of all time is a pretty scorching hot take. Breaking bad / better call Saul? Friday night lights? Not saying they were bad just not all time greats for me. Interesting question though.

meh, couldn't pay me to re-watch Lost. it really peaked early on and was so unsatisfying, albeit lazy, when it ended.

the wife and i have been watching some completion shows lately. here is one we have been watching the most: The Great Pottery Throw Down (we watch on HBO)

on another note, what are the thoughts on Prime's Wheel of Time? to me it's a little of a long plod, but we are only 3 episodes in so far.

Most well done TV characters of all time is a pretty scorching hot take. Breaking bad / better call Saul? Friday night lights? Not saying they were bad just not all time greats for me. Interesting question though.

FNL is good but didnt have the depth that Lost has, same with BB/BCS. Didnt put a whole lot of thought in my post but I dont think its too far off. By nature of the show, the number of impactful characters would be hard to top and the fact each had multiple episodes devoted entirely to developing the character gives it a huge advantage. The diversity of the cast was great and acting was top notch.

Cheers had a great cast but not much depth to the character, Mad Men was great but didnt care (good or bad) for the main characters as much as Lost; the Wire is probably the one i might rank ahead of it.

Lost was the first show I remember with a large diverse cast of fleshed out characters. It was ahead of its time and a product of its time.

Just watched Don’t Look Up. Pretty good satire on the current state of the world. Enjoyed it but ran a little long and was very dark.

I mean Lost has wayyyyyy more characters than BB/BCS

Lost was a great show but my criticism of it was after the finale the creators basically said it was only ever about the characters and that was the only story they were telling (when answering questions about why so many mysteries got no resolution). It was one of the first immensely popular Internet shows because there was so much speculation about what all the clues were intended to mean and I’d imagine most of the audience expected most if not all would be paid off by the end. The creators I felt were happy to keep fanning those flames of speculation for 5 seasons or whatever that to me it felt entirely disingenuous when they more or less said “no this was a show about characters not the mysteries of the island” after the show ended. Seems pretty clear to me they realized they were fucked because they couldn’t come up with ideas of how to pay off all the island stuff so they didn’t even try

Yep. The fans took the show way more seriously than the creative team.

The writers were like, “Dude, let’s blow their mind every week.”

The fans were like, “WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN????”

But I don’t think something like the MCU happens without Lost setting the table and warning creators that there has to be a meaningful payoff.

I did rewatch of Lost with my wife about 5 years ago or so- she had never seen it. I really enjoyed watching it again and the ending was much more palatable the second time around when I wasn't expecting it to change the world.

I did rewatch of Lost with my wife about 5 years ago or so- she had never seen it. I really enjoyed watching it again and the ending was much more palatable the second time around when I wasn't expecting it to change the world.

they also came out with a quick epilogue video a while back that wrapped up some of the loose endings. Wasnt aware of this until after i did my rewatch earlier this year

Don’t Look Up was not good.

I'm going to ditto this. After "Vice" and now "Don't Look Up" I'm of the mind that Adam McKay is better at goofball comedy ("Talladega Nights", "Stepbrothers") than dark satire.

Don't look up stuuuuunk. Felt like a waste of time, but get what they were going for.

Back