• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Satire is really hard these days because reality is so messed up and moves quickly. Something that was good satire when it was written 3-4 years ago, is too close to real life by the time it’s filmed and released. Old Colbert report episodes would be pretty tame stuff on Fox News today.

I thought Don't Look Up was pretty good. It tried too hard sometimes and the editing was at times annoying and unnecessary, but it worked well enough. Very strong performances by all involved except for maybe Jonah Hill, who they just had do his usual thing.

We really liked The Great season 2 on Hulu. The finale was a <chef's kiss> perfect combination of awkwardness and desire.

Just finished The Matrix Resurrections and I didn’t like it, at all. It’s getting ok reviews, like 65% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I completely disagree with that consensus. It’s extremely meta and self referential to an annoying degree, so many old characters and moments shoe-horned into the film for no reason. Half the film is basically an audio book from the constant spoken exposition. The major plot line of the film begins 90 minutes into the run time, so the battles and climax are only 10 minutes of the film, the art of the film is completely CGI where the original had tons of excellent practical effects. I could go on complaining, I thought it sucked. I like the original two sequels much better.

Not sure if discussed previously but we are watching the Our Planet docuseries on Netflix. Absolutely incredible footage and some really distressing climate-related stuff.

those are terrible tweets, thats not the problem with the movie

the movie was thought up before the pandemic but it works just as well for that crisis. it was urgent, millions of people have in fact died, and the reaction is the same

Edit- Moved my response to Kory’s tweet post to the climate change thread

Last edited:
Fucking Netflix upcharging for 4K content now - $4 extra per month

those are terrible tweets, thats not the problem with the movie

the movie was thought up before the pandemic but it works just as well for that crisis. it was urgent, millions of people have in fact died, and the reaction is the same

Bratton isn't really talking about the movie, tho.

It sounds like he's gesturing more toward common media's treatment of climate change as an expectable event - which doesn't bear out in reality. Don't Look Up is just one product in a line of media products that do this - and even though you can also read the COVID pandemic through the film as well, there's a lot of criticism out there focused on the film's frame w/r/t climate.

Fwiw, the film's exploration of media/the attention economy is way more interesting to me than Trump-era/Climate/Pandemic etc. I thought it was a far better critical film in that regard than a lot of previous attempts at putting Amusing Ourselves to Death to the big screen.

i agree if he's not really talking about the movie... his overall point is prob more relevant on the climate change thread as mdmh decided

i thought the whole film had to do more with the american pathology in regards to the media, our current political climate, and the easily distractable nature of american culture (still doesn't mean i think it was a great movie)

how we actually deal with climate change has nothing to do with the movie, there are no prescriptions there and the method of destruction is just an effective tool for storytelling

Don’t Look Up was solid but safe political satire and an decent enough movie. I was shocked how good the effects were but I guess if you go all in with the cast, may as well keep going with effects.

Jonah’s line at the rally was pretty on point describing the methods of right wing politicians. “There’s three types of American people: There are you, the working class. Us, the cool rich. And then them.”

Just finished The Matrix Resurrections and I didn’t like it, at all. It’s getting ok reviews, like 65% on Rotten Tomatoes, but I completely disagree with that consensus. It’s extremely meta and self referential to an annoying degree, so many old characters and moments shoe-horned into the film for no reason. Half the film is basically an audio book from the constant spoken exposition. The major plot line of the film begins 90 minutes into the run time, so the battles and climax are only 10 minutes of the film, the art of the film is completely CGI where the original had tons of excellent practical effects. I could go on complaining, I thought it sucked. I like the original two sequels much better.

Finally finished this. I watched the first half and second half like 10 days apart, so that should tell you something right there. I really thought the first 40 min or so were setting up pretty well, but after that it fell hard. I've never been so bored by fight scenes. All the stuff with the General was cringeworthy, like outtakes from Battlestar Galactica. Doogie was pretty good in that he really seemed to believe the shit lines that he was spewing. The plot was awful, but typical of the trilogy where they say, "Now that you're completely confused, here's a random new character that we created to explain just enough of it." In this case, some bird thing that was really not a bird or something. Fuck if I know. I didn't care by that point. And to top it all off, this may have been Keanu's worst acting job ever, and that is saying a lot. I mean, this was, "What's my line and where's my paycheck?" bad. I guess I can't blame him for sleepwalking through this shitfest of a movie, but at least act like you're trying.

Binged out The Wheel of Time now that all the episodes are out. As someone who read the first 4 books, I was really impressed with the show and thought it was great. Casting and locations were awesome and the way they interpret the story and the magic were great. It's very cinematic. Much different than my mental image but honestly much better and more mature than some of the characterizations in the book. What often reads as a young adult Lord of the Rings ripoff (I say this endearingly) ended up well dressed enough to feel like its own thing. Things like the Whitecloaks and Logain have a real gravitas that didn't make it from the page into my brain. The end came on a little rushed but with everyone doing 8 episode seasons as the standard now, I guess that's just how it is. Definitely recommend to fantasy/medieval/magic fans.

The Witcher season 2 was also pretty good. I don't have a lot of background, but as a fantasy enjoyer it is solid. I liked Cirilla's growth coming into the start of the season -- let's get over the scared child thing as fast as possible. I get weirded out by Geralt's stiffness -- can't decide if it's intentional to make me uncomfortable or if the acting/directing is bad. Story had some "what is happening moments" in that the main antagonist ended up being a new character, but overall it's a fun show and I like it. Less episodic than the first season (every episode seemed like a standalone quest) but I think that makes a better season overall.

Last edited:
As I’m currently working through Cobra Kai I had Karate Kid 3 on in the background while doing other stuff the other day. I looked up the actor who plays Terry Silver and was pretty surprised to find out he is actually younger than Ralph Macchio. So he was playing a character who was supposed to be about 15 years older than he actually was while Macchio was playing a character 10 years younger than he actually was.

The other thing I found odd was they made Jessica a platonic friend from the outset but turns out the actress was only 16 at the time and working with Macchio who was 27 they couldn’t have their relationship be romantic on screen

Yeah. I’ve never watched KK3 so I looked it up. I guess Silver is supposed to be a few years younger than Kreese but the actors are 16 years apart. Jessica is Blake Lovely’s older sister.

There are a lot of people like Ralph Macchio who will always look boyish or girlish no matter how old they are.

Watched, or tried to, Eternals last night. Fucking trash, turned it off in 45 minutes.

Back