• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

There are too many holes in this team - streaky play is scary. Let's just hope they get hot come playoff time. The rest of the NL isn't scary either, though, not sure who beats the Sox/Stros in a series.

60 runs scored and a 5-1 record since Chili Davis called a hitter's only meeting last Tuesday. Better situational hitting from everyone has resulted in big innings. Hope it continues. Facing the Twins didn't hurt the effort.

Edwards and Butler are at Iowa on rehab assignments. Chris Coghlan off rehab and assigned to Iowa. It seems likely he would provide OF depth in the event of injury. Bote has played well enough to be the extra infielder. Caratina is the third catcher. Plenty of pitching depth so far.

Dakota Mekkes was promoted to Iowa on June 5. A 10th round pick in 2016, he has advanced from Arizona Cubs (Rookie) to Iowa (AAA) in 2.5 years. In 127 career innings he has a 1.20 era, a .164 average, a 1.01 whip and 165 K's.

Last edited:
60 runs scored and a 5-1 record since Chili Davis called a team meeting last Tuesday. Better situational hitting from everyone has resulted in big innings. Hope it continues. Facing the Twins didn't hurt the effort.

Edwards and Butler are at Iowa on rehab assignments. Chris Coghlan off rehab and assigned to Iowa. It seems likely he would provide OF depth in the event of injury. Bote has played well enough to be the extra infielder. Caratina is the third catcher. Plenty of pitching depth so far.

Dakota Mekkes was promoted to Iowa on June 5. A 10th round pick in 2016, he has advanced from Arizona Cubs (Rookie) to Iowa (AAA) in 2.5 years. In 127 career innings he has a 1.20 era, a .164 average, a 1.01 whip and 165 K's.

The Cubs now have a number of intriguing starting pitching options in the minors. No ace types but a lot of 3-5 types and some may have a 2 ceiling. I know Mekkes isn't a starter, but just noting there is some real depth of arms now. 2017 draft will pay dividends.

The wind played a huge part in it -- I mean Lester hit a home run. Can't really remember a full series this year where the wind was blowing out every game

Cubs pick up a couple well regarded prospects on the opening day of the IFA - including the top pitching prospect and a CF prospect (https://www.mlb.com/news/cubs-to-sign-no-5-prospect-richard-gallardo/c-283427222)

Front office has been pretty decent in these international signings in the past - since the new IFA rules started, here are a few names the Cubs have picked up:

Jen-Ho Tseng
Eloy Jimenez
Gleyber Torres
Jose Albertos (top 5 prospect)
Isaac Paredes (top 5 prospect for Tigers - traded for Justin Wilson...)
Aramis Ademan (top 5 prospect)

Cubs pick up a couple well regarded prospects on the opening day of the IFA - including the top pitching prospect and a CF prospect (https://www.mlb.com/news/cubs-to-sign-no-5-prospect-richard-gallardo/c-283427222)

Front office has been pretty decent in these international signings in the past - since the new IFA rules started, here are a few names the Cubs have picked up:

Jen-Ho Tseng
Eloy Jimenez
Gleyber Torres
Jose Albertos (top 5 prospect)
Isaac Paredes (top 5 prospect for Tigers - traded for Justin Wilson...)
Aramis Ademan (top 5 prospect)

Hee-Seop Choi

My first game was in 1998 during Sosa's home run chase with McGwire. Sammy went yard once and that remains a great sports memory.

Headed back to Wrigley as part of my bachelor party when the Nats are in town.

My first game at Wrigley (for my 16th birthday) coincided with Hee-Sopp Choi's first ever HR at the Friendly Combines, and possibly in the big leagues. I thought there would be 500 more to come.

Hell, he didn't even get 500 more total bases.

Darvish is out until at least the beginning of August. Ugh.

Cubs were scouting Eovaldi. Always liked his stuff, big fastball, but he seems like a gamble with the injury history.

My first game was in 1995. Rainout against the Padres, and our flight back out of O'Hare was later that day so didn't get to see the makeup the next day.

I've hated my parents ever since

My first game was in 1984, Eck pitched, Jody Davis hit two home runs - I don't remember it except there are a couple of pictures and my dad always reminds me. So, its kinda like I remember it.

1958. The Cubs had a promotion called Ladies Day on a monthly basis. Women buy a grandstand ticket and the kids were free. My mother and my best friends mother decided it was time we to watch a game live. Two women and four kids. Cubs were lucky to draw 10k to a game so finding a great seat was easy. It went off so well we would go once a month on Ladies Day. The only game I remember clearly was when my friend and I got permission to sit in the bleachers. We had the centerfield bleachers to ourselves and caught the attention of Willie Mays, who threw us a couple of balls and actually talked with us during a couple of pitching changes. As close to heaven as I'll ever get.

As of today, Kyle Schwarber and his cannon are 10th in defensive fWAR among all MLB OFs. Say what you will about defensive metrics, that's still pretty amazing to see how far he has come - has 8 OF assists this year. He's also 10th in overall fWAR among all MLB OFs. Go Schwarbs.

Back