• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

As of today, Kyle Schwarber and his cannon are 10th in defensive fWAR among all MLB OFs. Say what you will about defensive metrics, that's still pretty amazing to see how far he has come - has 8 OF assists this year. He's also 10th in overall fWAR among all MLB OFs. Go Schwarbs.

The whole outfield has been better than anyone projected. All of them.

I expected Gold Glove performance from Almora and Heyward. Delivered. Schwarber and Happ have been better than anticipated. Schwarber's arm on the throw from the LF line to second base is preventing singles from becoming doubles and making runners think twice rounding third base.

Either 1975 or 76. Cubs beat Mets 5-0. Rick Reuschel started. I loved watching jerry Morales' basket catches in center. I was 9.

Last edited:
Maddon surprises by letting Tyler Chatwood throw 120 pitches in a seven run disaster. It's tough enough to recover from a 5-0 deficit, but Joe allows Chatwood to make it worse.

Edit. All is well that ends well. Another needed comeback win.

Last edited:
Cubs pick up a couple well regarded prospects on the opening day of the IFA - including the top pitching prospect and a CF prospect (https://www.mlb.com/news/cubs-to-sign-no-5-prospect-richard-gallardo/c-283427222)

Front office has been pretty decent in these international signings in the past - since the new IFA rules started, here are a few names the Cubs have picked up:

Jen-Ho Tseng
Eloy Jimenez
Gleyber Torres
Jose Albertos (top 5 prospect)
Isaac Paredes (top 5 prospect for Tigers - traded for Justin Wilson...)
Aramis Ademan (top 5 prospect)

Jose Albertos is having a complete disaster of a season. Will not be in the top 30 for the org. by the end of the year.

David Bote has played like he belongs in the big leagues. He will probably return to Iowa when KB returns, but he has secured the role of top position player on the Iowa shuttle. An 18th round pick in 2012 playing his seventh season in the minors, he has demonstrated everything required to be a quality reserve in MLB.

Looking like the Cubs are definitely going to go hard after an SP before the deadline. I would love Archer, but not seeing where they could pull that off - with Alzolay out for the year and De La Cruz just dinged for a steroid suspension, not a lot left. Guessing the chips are Caratini, Tseng and all those young, questionable arms we have been drafting. Not sure a Caratini/Tseng/+ gets Archer, maybe - hes got 3 years on his team friendly contract. I don't want one of lower tier starters available like JA Happ or Lance Lynn - but wouldnt mind seeing them go after Hamels. He hasn't been great the last couple of years, but he hasn't lost a lot of velocity, and a switch back to the NL could have a solid bump. If the Cubs pick up a bunch of his salary, he could fit without giving up too much - not that there is much to give.

And, I just read an article that the Cubs are in on JA Happ. Jays already scouted the Cubs minor leagues and are interested in Bote, Tseng and Zagunis. Bote is an interesting piece. The problem I have here is trading for a guy that likely wouldn't be a playoff starter - Happ is ok, but is he going to start over Q or Darvish (if he ever comes back)? Probs not. I mean, we aren't going to find a spot for Zags or Bote in the next year or so anyway, so I guess what the hell, give it a shot.

And, I just read an article that the Cubs are in on JA Happ. Jays already scouted the Cubs minor leagues and are interested in Bote, Tseng and Zagunis. Bote is an interesting piece. The problem I have here is trading for a guy that likely wouldn't be a playoff starter - Happ is ok, but is he going to start over Q or Darvish (if he ever comes back)? Probs not. I mean, we aren't going to find a spot for Zags or Bote in the next year or so anyway, so I guess what the hell, give it a shot.

I agree. Don't give away what's left of quality prospects for a suspect starting pitcher. How long is Darvish out (speaking of suspect starting pitchers)?

Last edited:
Cub management suggesting they are not actively pursuing a starter. Company line... Darvish's return would be the upgrade to the rotation. Bote is an interesting piece and is the only quality depth available beyond the twelve position players that started the season if injuries hit. Montgomery is as good as most options available with what the Cubs have to offer. If the original starting five are healthy and pitching well Monty goes back to the pen, otherwise he gets to prove he is starter ready. I get the psychological lift the team would experience with a quality addition and have learned that management likes that option. There just isn't much to offer and adding a starter sends the message that what they have is lacking. Is that the message they want to send to Darvish and Chatwood?

Chatwood is terrible. So, I'm fine with whatever message it sends to him. And darvish is looking like he won't return until beginning of August.

Where did you read they aren't looking for a starter?

Also, Zags and Cogs down on the farm can provide extra depth if Bote goes and there is some other injury.

Chatwood is terrible. So, I'm fine with whatever message it sends to him. And darvish is looking like he won't return until beginning of August.

Where did you read they aren't looking for a starter?

Cubs.com. News 7/6/18: "Epstein: Don't expect frontline starter pursuit." Yes, I take it with a grain of salt, that's why I wrote company line. The message has been consistent all season. Happy with the position players. Confident in the starters. Pleased with the bullpen. That doesn't mean they won't make a move. They have the past three years. I question their urgency and always enjoy your response to my counterpoint. Cubs score two in the top of seven to take a lead.

Word is they are looking at position players too - connected to Adam Jones and Curtis Granderson, comments are that they are looking for a new David Ross. I don't see how that works unless they are trading away someone from the 12 they have now - I don't see how either of those guys are better than Zobs, Happ, LaStella and whoever the backup catcher is at the time.

Well, you've squashed the only possibility I could dream up.

Caratini looks legit as a long term player behind Contreras. Wilson will need some rest to stay productive for another 3 or 4 months.

Back