• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Schwarber with a real hot first week of August. 7-for-14 with 2 HR, 6 BB, and 6 RBI. Slash line of 0.500/0.667/1.000. Obviously he won't sustain that pace, but hopefully he turns it around for the dud April-July he had.

Need all the bats we can get with all the injuries to the pen.

New guys leading the charge. And I love the 98mph heat from Chatwood. Given the state of the bullpen he may be a critical cog here in August.

Cubs with a comeback win to salvage a split. Bryant hits a 3 run HR to take the lead. Pedro Strop looks good to notch a save. Rowan Wick the game MVP by dominating the seventh and eighth inning to bring it to Strop. He is seizing his opportunity. Kudos to Maddon for that decision.

If Castellanos keeps playing this well, have to imagine Theo gives some effort to resign him. I guess it could also drive up his value - but not sure a right handed, above average hitter below average defensive corner outfielder is going to command much more than like a 3/$30 or something in this environment.

The Nationals stuck a dagger in the Cubs with a walk off grand slam last night. The Pirates gave it a twist with a walk off win tonight. The Cubs have learned to lose when it counts. They best recall how to win because the season may be in the balance.

Joe tried to win a game with Bote at SS and Happ at 2B. It worked for eight innings. In the ninth it cost the Cubs a win.

I felt Happ was simply out of position. Two balls I though were straight at 2b ended in the outfield.

Tonight was another hitless disaster against a guy the league pounds. Bizarre to watch them dominate and then get dominated. This has been going on now for a year.

Bullpen has been an issue all year, everyone knew it. Theo did a great job getting Kimbrel, no one expected he, kintzler and cishek to all be injured and strop to be a total disaster at this point. If our bullpen can all get healthy and we can kick Strop to the curb for the remainder of the year, the rest of the Central isn't good enough to pull away. Healthy Kimbrel, Salt, Cishek, Wick, Ryan, Holland, Phelps will get us through.

Lester, Chatwood and Wick step up to shut out the Pirates, providing an opportunity to win a series on the road. Chatwood's control is always a risk, but I was glad Joe gave him the opportunity. Wick has been the most effective RP on the roster since his return from Iowa and made his first major league save look easy.

Albert Almora, Ben Zobrist and Daniel Descalso were the top of the line up for Iowa last night. Almora had a single, a double and scored. Zobrist had a double, scored and had an RBI. Descalso hit a two run homer. A decision on Zobrist must be made prior to September for him to be post season eligible. Almora and Descalso will likely rejoin the team when rosters expand in September.

Kimbrel is anticipated to rejoin the team today. Cishek is anticipated to rejoin the team Tuesday.

Last edited:
The Little League thing was fun to watch - they should mic up people more, Rizzo was great.

I think the kids reminded the team they PLAY baseball. It's a GAME. The team appeared to enjoy themselves. They also won a series on the road.

Back