• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Darvish with his best win as a Cub to end the losing streak. Javy bounces back big after a day off to put his slump on hold. Russell trying to get another start at 2B by igniting the offense again. Maybe Joe will notice.

Heyward at .167/.264/.362 in 29 games batting first. DaDeacs, your fear for Heyward is realized. I guess Joe hasn't noticed.

Darvish has been very good his last few starts. Cubs need him to continue with the inconsistencies from other starters.

Heyward really has struggled in the leadoff spot. The spot no Cub seems to want. Castellanos?

Speaking of rarities, looked like we might allow the same pinch hitter to bat twice in one inning last night.

Glad we held on, woulda been record Mets comeback

Kimbrel not making it look easy, he is still missing his spots, but getting the job done. Kyle had a rough inning where the Mets were being super aggressive and jumping him early in counts cause he was throwing a lot of strikes - and if you are looking for an 88 MPH heater, and you get one in the zone, not tough to do something with it.

DeGrom has been pretty dominant against everyone, Lester needs to dial up 2016 Lester for a few innings to keep us in the game.

I guess todays game is a rest game. Righty on the mound, Schwarbs sitting, Happ sitting, 5-8 hitters are Caratini (1B), Russell (2B), Kemp (LF) and Lucroy (C).

So, uh, there is that.

Caratini took over the offense yesterday for a win. Castellanos does the same today for a win with Bryant, Heyward and Rizzo out of the lineup. Baez could use another day off.

It took until August 30 but the Cubs finally reach 12 games over .500.

Took my kids (3 years-old and 6 month-old daughters) to their first ever game today. Older one had a blast singing during the 7th inning stretch and Go Cubs Go. Saw a fun game, too.

Cubbies back on a roll.

Cubs play 18 games in 18 days, the first eight on the road and next ten at home.

Contreras and Zobrist return to the line up and make an immediate impact. Baez and Bryant on the bench with nagging injuries and for rest. They need it.

Heyward could use some pine time as well. 0 for 26 the past seven days, 14 for 95 hitting first and shifted to CF from RF. He was hitting a solid .280 when Maddon asked him to make the changes and is at .249 now. He's earned a couple of days off to rest and refresh. At least he's getting paid.

Eighteen pitchers now on the roster. Captain Hook is smiling. He's still capable of exhausting a bullpen if a game goes extra innings.

Kimbrel has a bad elbow going to be out for a while. Not the best time for that.

Kimbrel is 11 of 13 in save situations, despite his difficulties. I don't like the Cubs postseason chances without him.

Baez to IL with hairline fracture of his thumb. Return unknown.

The offense takes another night off and the Cubs lose 3-2. Joe pulled Darvish after 72 pitches, five innings, three hits, one walk, zero runs, seven strikeouts and the lead. Did the Brewers a favor. Apparently, I don't understand the game of baseball any longer.

Wtf was Maddon thinking? Darkish has been the best starter recently and the bullpen has struggled all year. No injury?

Bryant out of line up with the recurring knee problem. Maddon admits Bryant's injury is negatively affecting his play. Today's line up is the best available. Hope it clicks.

Edit...Russell beaned by a 94 mph fastball. Stays in game. Steals second base. Scores on a throwing error after a Bote single. Removed from the game. Happ to third, Bote to short. Adversity has decided to visit and take a seat.

Last edited:
Back