• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Gonzalez can't hurt. At worst the Cubs discover that average is being generous and he is released. He won't be the first Rockies player to have his offense diminish once he left Colorado. Maybe CarGo catches lightning in a bottle with a legit opportunity for the post season.

Cubs question whether Zobrist will return. Not good.

It's a minor league deal, but I'd guess he'll get called up soon. He can still hit righties and will hopefully allow Bryant to not have to play RF for awhile.

CarGo homered in his second game in Iowa, comes up, goes 1-3 with a walk and a nice diving grab in the OF. Will take it.

Also, there are some rumblings that the Cubs may be in on Kimbrel - with Zobs on the restricted list, he is not getting paid, and the Cubs are saving over $2 million for each month he misses (and Maddon has suggested he may miss the rest of the year). With that "savings" and the couple million they had under the luxury cap before the season started, they could potentially offer something decent. I would expect someone that has a bunch of room to actually get him, maybe the Twins or Braves or, hopefully not, Brewers.

Either way, this extra money should give them some flexibility to take on an RP in a trade that has a bunch of money left for this year too.

Nice debut for CarGo. Run saving catches in your first game make friends.

Kimbrel seems like a dream. With the Zobrist money, the Cubs might be willing to go over the cap and offer a deal for the balance of the season. It's their best opportunity for elite RP that doesn't involve prospects/players. Take it.

There's plenty of fish in the sea Ben, especially when you're a multimillionaire. Sheesh

Nice debut for CarGo. Run saving catches in your first game make friends.

Kimbrel seems like a dream. With the Zobrist money, the Cubs might be willing to go over the cap and offer a deal for the balance of the season. It's their best opportunity for elite RP that doesn't involve prospects/players. Take it.

If he will take a one year deal, I agree. With the money savings, though, there is a chance the Cubs could get another solid bullpen arm for some extremely low level player that would barely even be considered a prospect if they eat the relievers money (Giants - Melancon / Smith / Dyson). Would love to figure out how to get Ken Giles, but that one would take real prospects.

There's plenty of fish in the sea Ben, especially when you're a multimillionaire. Sheesh

Love Zobs, but not sure where he plays right now if he is back. Wouldn't mind him taking a couple of more months off and coming back in September once the rosters open - could be fresh and give us a good run if we make the playoffs.

Assuming Zobrist's leave is the result of marital/family problems, I admire his priorities. One of the benefits of financial security is the ability to act in accordance with your priorities. Apparently, baseball is not at the top of his list.

Ken Rosenthal reporting that the Cubs are pushing hard for Kimbrel. Maddon has been on record saying he has had not talks with the front office about Kimbrel at all.

No idea what that means, but I'm all for it on a 1 year deal. Technically, they could go on a longer deal, since Strop will be a FA next year and they will need a closer since CJ isn't consistent and Mekkes nor Maples have shown the ability to do it at the MLB level yet. I would definitely prefer not to drop big money on Kimbrel.

If the money is big it will be for the balance of this year. Kimbrel has shown he wants a final contract. Sign him for the balance of the season at a price that demands his attention. He gets to pursue a multi-year deal in the off season and the Cubs continue on whatever path they have charted. Too many existing players to sign in the near future and too few dividends from present big dollar long term commitments.

The Cubs have two more years with all their hitters locked in - Riz is up first in 2021, then Kris and Javy in 2022, then Willy in 2023.

Riz would take a deal to stay, Bryant is on record saying he is gonna test out FA. Signing Kimbrel through 2021 would be good, but I doubt he accepts that - he wants 5ish years - with Strop, Cishek and Morrow all FAs, bullpen is gonna need to be remade somehow. Agree that 1 year deal seems most likely.

Kinda shocked he took that - feel like he could have had this deal at any time during the offseason. Age 31-33 years - just gotta hope that fastball decline was a hiccup.

even if he did decline a bit he is definitely a solid closer and only bolsters our pen. I’m for it.

Of course. Elite closers who are consistently great year after year are like gold dust. Let's go!

Glad LA did not get in at this price. Hard to say if he can give you much this year. Dodgers have prospects to go for Giles or someone just as good.

Ya never know. I'm surprised, but happy with an elite closer. Hope he stays that way. The Cubs addressed a perennial need.

David Bote making certain his place in Chicago is secure. Cat is clutch.

Joe might want to rethink his commitment to Ryan and Brach. Six of the seven runs scored by the Rockies are the result of their efforts. They did retire one batter.

Last edited:
Back