• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Just need to suck it up and cut or trade Descalso and Russell asap. Neither are valuable pieces.

Alzolay being called up to back up the Chatwood start. Pretty pumped, hes come back from the injury looking lights out.

Welcome to the bigs, Adbert Alzolay. Four innings of one hit, one run relief for a W in his first game. Started and ended with a walk. Sandwiched in between were 33 strikes of 45 pitches on the fringe of the strike zone, five resulting in K's. Gave up a HR to Todd Frazier on one of the few pitches in the middle of the plate. Kid even threw one behind Robinson Cano after he called timeout to slow Alzolay down. Then K'd Cano. Kid works very fast, a fielder's dream and a hitter's nightmare fast. Catches the ball, gets the sign and delivers quicker than it took to read this sentence. 94 to 96 with command of a change and a sharp curve as well. Received five hugs before exiting to his third standing ovation with a tip of his hat to the crowd in thanks. He will be seen again.

BTW, Cubs won.

Last edited:
Welcome to the bigs, Adbert Alzolay. Four innings of one hit, one run relief for a W in his first game. Started and ended with a walk. Sandwiched in between were 33 strikes of 45 pitches on the fringe of the strike zone, five resulting in K's. Gave up a HR to Todd Frazier on one of the few pitches in the middle of the plate. Kid even threw one behind Robinson Cano after he called timeout to slow Alzolay down. Then K'd Cano. Kid works very fast, a fielder's dream and a hitter's nightmare fast. Catches the ball, gets the sign and delivers quicker than it took to read this sentence. 94 to 96 with command of a change and a sharp curve as well. Received five hugs before exiting to his third standing ovation with a tip of his hat to the crowd in thanks. He will be seen again.

BTW, Cubs won.

Wow, what a start. It will be interesting to see how Maddon uses him. Maybe he will help light a fire under Darvish and others.

Darvish has limited opponents to less than four runs in eleven of sixteen starts. Unfortunately he has gone six or more innings in only four of the eleven. He was removed in the sixth inning in four others. He has gone six or more innings in six of his last seven starts. He has surrendered 21 runs in those seven starts. Slow improvement.

Is there a more miserable pitcher to watch than Jose Quintana? Even when he is pitching well (rarely), his nibble-fest approach is just so difficult to watch.

Is there a more miserable pitcher to watch than Jose Quintana? Even when he is pitching well (rarely), his nibble-fest approach is just so difficult to watch.

I dont mind Quintana - he's a decent 4th pitcher. I also wont mind not seeing him next year.

It's just so hard to watch his 25-30 pitch implosion innings. Anyway - I believe the Cubs hold on option on him next year? Maybe they could sucker a team which thinks they will be competitive next year into taking him for prospects. The Cubs would still have Chatwood, Montgomenry, and Alzolay to fill the rotation spot.

My son, dad and I have tickets to watch the Cubs in San Francisco next month. Dad’s a die hard Dodgers fan and is mad I won’t let him wear a Dodgers jersey to the game.

He asked about this one, which I admit is kinda funny.

k4t28o.jpg

Just after Sandberg talks about the ball jumping out to right, Baez with the 3 run homer to right to win it. Team is just playing .500 since the early hot stretch. Looks like both Chatwood and Adbert will start before we see Quintana again.

It's just so hard to watch his 25-30 pitch implosion innings. Anyway - I believe the Cubs hold on option on him next year? Maybe they could sucker a team which thinks they will be competitive next year into taking him for prospects. The Cubs would still have Chatwood, Montgomenry, and Alzolay to fill the rotation spot.

Unless he completely falls off a cliff the rest of the year, they'll pick up the option. It's only $11.5M and you can plug him in for 32 starts, 175 IP and an ERA+ just a tick better than league average. That's a bargain nowadays and highly valuable to have someone that you can count on taking the ball every 5 days. For as much as he's stunk this year, he still has an ERA+ of 100 (league average).

I’m suggesting the club option makes him attractive trade bait. It’s probably not even a consideration, but It could be a coup to get rid of a below 2 WAR pitcher for decent prospects. Anyway - worst case I have watch him for 1.5 more years.

Quintana could have value to a contender in need of a left handed starter.

From the CF camera, he appears to alter his pitching motion throwing his curve. Looks to be aiming in his delivery. Hard to believe a tell of that nature would have gone unnoticed.

Darvish has limited opponents to less than four runs in eleven of sixteen starts. Unfortunately he has gone six or more innings in only four of the eleven. He was removed in the sixth inning in four others. He has gone six or more innings in six of his last seven starts. He has surrendered 21 runs in those seven starts. Slow improvement.

Well, I certainly stand corrected. His 4.75 ERA and prior short outings colored my thinking.

Back