• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

Fun to think about Cantlay being an up and coming young stud. Then you realize he is older than Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth. For as much publicity as those guys get it still gets overshadowed at times how good they have been so quickly on the PGA tour.

Fun to think about Cantlay being an up and coming young stud. Then you realize he is older than Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth. For as much publicity as those guys get it still gets overshadowed at times how good they have been so quickly on the PGA tour.

Really is crazy to think about how much those two, Jordan especially, have accomplished at such a young age.

Anyone watching this?

Why in the hell would JB Holmes, one of the longest players on tour, lay up 2 down on 18? Strangest decision I've ever seen.

And we're still watching.

Great shot by Palmer into 18 on the last hole of regulation. Sorry he lost out in sudden death.

Right. I mean, playing for 2nd? He can't decide between 3 or 5 wood so he just gives up any chance to win the tournament? JB Holmes playing for 3rd?

Shades of Chip Beck on 15 at the Masters years ago.

After thinking about it for 20 minutes

This is the problem I had with JB. It was evident he was in between clubs, so if he just doesn't think the shorter club will get there and the longer club will go over the green, he had no good decision, so I'm not going to bash him for that. But he literally took over 5:00 to make that decision, and that delay could well have had a negative effect on his playing partner. Turns out it didn't, and that's to Palmer's credit. But to me, taking so long was pretty rude behavior. I've always kinda liked JB, especially after coming back from the brain tumor, but he really lost points with me yesterday.

That said, the playoff has been amazing. Everyone spent the back 9 backing up, and then Noren and Day birdie 3 of the 5 playoff holes and matched each other hitting great shot after great shot on a tough course.

And though I've never been a big Tiger fan, it was nice seeing him out there playing well. He couldn't hit a fairway, which is normally death on that course, but he hit a ton of good recoveries, and his short game was spot on.

I thought JB was waiting for the wind to die down so he could hit 5 wood. He waited well past what was reasonable, before finally giving up and laying up.

I thought JB was waiting for the wind to die down so he could hit 5 wood. He waited well past what was reasonable, before finally giving up and laying up.

Definitely. I guess in the end he decided he had a better shot of making a wedge from the fairway than getting on and making the putt.

And we're still watching.

Great shot by Palmer into 18 on the last hole of regulation. Sorry he lost out in sudden death.

We're still here watching.
Conditions so much better this morning.
Wonder if these guys got much sleep last night?

This is the problem I had with JB. It was evident he was in between clubs, so if he just doesn't think the shorter club will get there and the longer club will go over the green, he had no good decision, so I'm not going to bash him for that. But he literally took over 5:00 to make that decision, and that delay could well have had a negative effect on his playing partner. Turns out it didn't, and that's to Palmer's credit. But to me, taking so long was pretty rude behavior. I've always kinda liked JB, especially after coming back from the brain tumor, but he really lost points with me yesterday.

That said, the playoff has been amazing. Everyone spent the back 9 backing up, and then Noren and Day birdie 3 of the 5 playoff holes and matched each other hitting great shot after great shot on a tough course.

And though I've never been a big Tiger fan, it was nice seeing him out there playing well. He couldn't hit a fairway, which is normally death on that course, but he hit a ton of good recoveries, and his short game was spot on.

Except for Noren going 40 yards long after being iced and making par instead of a potential birdie.

That was quick.
A shame Noren hit in the water. He was really playing well.
Great wedge by Day into the green.

Definitely. I guess in the end he decided he had a better shot of making a wedge from the fairway than getting on and making the putt.

He said to hold the green he'd have to cut a 5 wood, but was afraid it wouldn't get there. So he thought the odds were better of holing out a wedge.

Just bang it up there somewhere and try to chip it in or make a long putt. The odds aren't anywhere close to "better." They're astronomically worse. He's one of the longest players on tour and he took almost 5 minutes to decide to give up. I agree with the guy that tweeted Noren should have shoved him into the water. Very good chance it cost Noren the tournament.

Holmes is notorious on tour for being slow. I think he would probably be voted slowest player on tour. Maybe in a landslide. It’s miserable. When your players see they are paired with JB they want to shoot themselves. Yesterday was hardly a revelation to anyone including those in his group.

Wouldn't have impacted Palmer. He had already laid up. Noren was sitting there waiting on JB and it was absolutely criminal. Wish he had been able to pull it out.

Back