• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

This is a great event on an interesting course for match play for 4 days. But with only 2 matches this morning and afternoon, it makes for bad TV viewing. Kisner played 6 great rounds, but it looked like he no control of where his ball was going when he came back out this afternoon. Also think Thomas may have been a bit fatigued. 7 rounds in 5 days is a ton of golf. And I'd go so far as to say that all 4 of the guys playing today have decent shots at Augusta - as long as none of them play next week. I gotta think Thomas is the favorite. And while I've never cared for Bubba, and he does go through long stretches where he just doesn't appear engaged, when Bubba is engaged and on his game, he's gotta be another favorite at Augusta because that course is tailor made for his game. If he's playing wedges into 13, forget about it.

This is a great event on an interesting course for match play for 4 days. But with only 2 matches this morning and afternoon, it makes for bad TV viewing. Kisner played 6 great rounds, but it looked like he no control of where his ball was going when he came back out this afternoon. Also think Thomas may have been a bit fatigued. 7 rounds in 5 days is a ton of golf. And I'd go so far as to say that all 4 of the guys playing today have decent shots at Augusta - as long as none of them play next week. I gotta think Thomas is the favorite. And while I've never cared for Bubba, and he does go through long stretches where he just doesn't appear engaged, when Bubba is engaged and on his game, he's gotta be another favorite at Augusta because that course is tailor made for his game. If he's playing wedges into 13, forget about it.

I don’t think it’s engaged/not engaged with bubba. He was just a moron and played a POS ball last year in a cash grab. All 4 look in great form heading to Augusta.

I don’t think it’s engaged/not engaged with bubba. He was just a moron and played a POS ball last year in a cash grab. All 4 look in great form heading to Augusta.

Disagree. All players have slumps. For example, I'd say Spieth is in a mini slump now. But I have no concern that Spieth will get down on himself and not work his way through it. Bubba has a tendency to get very down on himself and go into negative spirals. He said he considered retirement last year because his level of play. Most good to great golfers are folks who grind and fight through adversity. Bubba by contrast is not a great fighter through adversity. He's an artist with amazing talent who can hit shots that no one else can hit, but he tends to lose focus more than most golfers when he's in a funk.

Disagree. All players have slumps. For example, I'd say Spieth is in a mini slump now. But I have no concern that Spieth will get down on himself and not work his way through it. Bubba has a tendency to get very down on himself and go into negative spirals. He said he considered retirement last year because his level of play. Most good to great golfers are folks who grind and fight through adversity. Bubba by contrast is not a great fighter through adversity. He's an artist with amazing talent who can hit shots that no one else can hit, but he tends to lose focus more than most golfers when he's in a funk.

Gotta disagree. Spieth is in a slump and it appears to be mental with the putter. He will be fine. Bubba had a really big equipment change for one year (last year) and it is an absolute anomaly compared to the rest of his career. The reason that Bubba talked about retirement is because he was playing so poorly due to not being able to shape and control his ball last season because he was using the crappy yellow Volvik that he was contractually obligated to play. Look at yearly PGA ranking for each season since 2007 and tell me if you see a slump or a drastic change in performance due to a variable in his game changing....

That's not a slump

Gotta disagree. Spieth is in a slump and it appears to be mental with the putter. He will be fine. Bubba had a really big equipment change for one year (last year) and it is an absolute anomaly compared to the rest of his career. The reason that Bubba talked about retirement is because he was playing so poorly due to not being able to shape and control his ball last season because he was using the crappy yellow Volvik that he was contractually obligated to play. Look at yearly PGA ranking for each season since 2007 and tell me if you see a slump or a drastic change in performance due to a variable in his game changing....

That's not a slump

Good to see that Bubba overcame the mysterious illness that caused the weight-gain and good to see him over the slump from last year. He's been good for so long so all of us understand the slump and don't hold it against him.

What a player!

Was watching some of the ANA last night, which is bigger than Houston this week. They showed practically every shot from Lexi's back 9, and there was more coverage for her than everyone else combined. So it appears that there is a ton of pressure on her after last year's fiasco. That said, with her driver she was averaging 327 off the tee. I know there is some elevation in Palm Springs, and there was a fair amount of runout, but 327 is pretty long for an LPGA golfer. And her putter is looking pretty solid - haven't seen her miss a ton of short putts so far this year, and that has plagued her in the past. That said, she is DJ pre-suspension in that her wedge play is still weak. She's hitting a wedge on almost every par 4, and she still misses greens with wedges - missed 2 greens with her gap wedge on the back 9. I know she spends a ton of time in the gym, but now that she's improved to being an average putter, if she honed her wedge game like DJ did, she'll dominate that tour. And I think every commentator on TGC is begging for that to happen.

Not only every commentator, but the LPGA in general. A top 10 battle of South Koreans can't be good for ratings.

Not only every commentator, but the LPGA in general. A top 10 battle of South Koreans can't be good for ratings.

Yeah, and I find myself always rooting against the South Koreans (and Suzanne Petterson, who is the reincarnation of Seve). I feel a bit bad about rooting against the former, but as a group, they dominate the tour at times and don't have a ton of personality (and Ryu needs to have an asterisk by her name). I root for the US, Henderson, some of the Euros, Tseng when she was relevant and the Jutanugarns. Personally, I'd love to see Lexi, Ariya and Ciganda all be in the top 5 and dominate because they can drive as far as the average guys, but Ariya has dipped a bit from where she was, and Ciganda hasn't yet reached that next level. I went to some of the International Crown when it was in Baltimore a few years ago, and watching Lexi drive the ball is an impressive sight - and now she's 20-30 yards longer than she was a few years ago. But while I no longer cringe watching her putt, her wedge game with that odd tippy toe swing is still cringe worthy.

Is this the LPGA Tour 2018 thread? I was pretty pissed the Golf Channel cut coverage from the Houston Open at 7 last night with plenty more golf to show LPGA 1st round coverage.

Is this the LPGA Tour 2018 thread? I was pretty pissed the Golf Channel cut coverage from the Houston Open at 7 last night with plenty more golf to show LPGA 1st round coverage.

What's so wrong with some women's golf coverage? The ANA is a major and kicks off the major golf season, whereas Houston is 1 of the lesser men's events of the year. If the 2 are on at the same time, I'd opt for the ANA over Houston. Let the LPGA have its due because, come Monday, it'll all be about Augusta.

Rattler, Ryu "won" the ANA last year. If Maris had to have an asterisk by his name, then Ryu definitely gets the asterisk.

Anyone know why Bill isn't playing today?
He played yesterday.

Fun three way playoff at the LPGA ANA. Rooting for the blonde Swedish babe.

Same. Went into yesterday rooting for anyone whose last name wasn't Poulter or Park. Ugh. If Inbee wins this a.m., the only good thing about the weekend will be that Spieth may be regaining form. I also thought I knew most of the American women, but I don't recall ever seeing Jennifer Song before, and apparently she's been around for a few years. She almost pulled a Ben Curtis.

Back