• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saudi World Golf Tour 2022/2023 Thread

It's true I've never liked Figjam Phil. Conversely, I do like Rory. Yes, they are both honest and not completely canned, like Tiger has always been. But the 1 thing that Rory doesn't do is trash his RC teammates and captains, even when he is embroiled in a bitter lawsuit with 1 of them. Phil and Hal Sutton, OTOH, can't seem to help themselves from said trashing, even when the captain is a beloved HOFer like Tom Watson. Golf is normally a lonely event. But the RC & PC are the 2 occasions where you win and lose as a team. And 1 of the unwritten laws of team sports is you don't trash your teammates and coaches to the media - contrast the Patriots and Redskins as examples. Unfortunately for the US team, Phil can't abide by that unwritten law. No need to even get to the insider trading to cover his gambling losses.

I've always been very pro US when it comes to the RC. I used to hate the Euro sides. Monty, Seve and Faldo are probably my 3 most hated golfers ever. But this younger Euro group is a more likeable bunch, outside of Poulter, who isn't playing this year. Even Westwood and Garcia have mellowed so that I don't hate them like I used to. As for our team, I like most of our guys, save for Bubba (who isn't playing), Reed and Phil. And Reed is 1 of those guys who you root against on a week to week basis but who you root for at the RC under the theory that he's an SOB, but he's our SOB. The tougher thing for me this year is the captains - always loved Clarke and hated Love. So I'm sure I'll find myself rooting for us to win but rooting for Phil to lose his matches, unless he's playing Sergio and Westwood. And like last time around, if we do lose, I won't be irate like I used to be.

And FWIW, I think the US team will be better off and will win this thing more often when both Tiger and Phil (and Furyk too) are out of the picture.

It's true I've never liked Figjam Phil. Conversely, I do like Rory. Yes, they are both honest and not completely canned, like Tiger has always been. But the 1 thing that Rory doesn't do is trash his RC teammates and captains, even when he is embroiled in a bitter lawsuit with 1 of them. Phil and Hal Sutton, OTOH, can't seem to help themselves from said trashing, even when the captain is a beloved HOFer like Tom Watson. Golf is normally a lonely event. But the RC & PC are the 2 occasions where you win and lose as a team. And 1 of the unwritten laws of team sports is you don't trash your teammates and coaches to the media - contrast the Patriots and Redskins as examples. Unfortunately for the US team, Phil can't abide by that unwritten law. No need to even get to the insider trading to cover his gambling losses.

I've always been very pro US when it comes to the RC. I used to hate the Euro sides. Monty, Seve and Faldo are probably my 3 most hated golfers ever. But this younger Euro group is a more likeable bunch, outside of Poulter, who isn't playing this year. Even Westwood and Garcia have mellowed so that I don't hate them like I used to. As for our team, I like most of our guys, save for Bubba (who isn't playing), Reed and Phil. And Reed is 1 of those guys who you root against on a week to week basis but who you root for at the RC under the theory that he's an SOB, but he's our SOB. The tougher thing for me this year is the captains - always loved Clarke and hated Love. So I'm sure I'll find myself rooting for us to win but rooting for Phil to lose his matches, unless he's playing Sergio and Westwood. And like last time around, if we do lose, I won't be irate like I used to be.

And FWIW, I think the US team will be better off and will win this thing more often when both Tiger and Phil (and Furyk too) are out of the picture.

Any particular reason you dislike Love, other than he went to Chapel Hill? By all accounts, he is a great guy.

Any particular reason you dislike Love, other than he went to Chapel Hill? By all accounts, he is a great guy.

UNC and the top button thing. Comes across as taciturn and unapproachable, kinda like Furyk. And he was probably our most talented underachiever vis-a-vis his talent level as we had in that 1990s group. Freddie at least had the back excuse like Willett does and Sneds has with his ribs.

With a few exceptions in each generation, I greatly prefer this younger generation of both Americans and Euros than their predecessors. They're more talented, they don't make excuses, and they're more collegial.

Monty is a bloviating gaspot.

Also, Phil needs to shut up. For as great a career he has had, his Ryder Cup record (16-19-7) leaves a lot to be desired. And that even includes a 3-0 rookie performance 21 years ago. Did playing Tiger's ball cause him to only win 0.5 points out of 5 matches in 2006?

Phil bitching about the ball when he was one week removed from changing his driver, irons, wedges AND ball is freaking hilarious.

UNC and the top button thing. Comes across as taciturn and unapproachable, kinda like Furyk. And he was probably our most talented underachiever vis-a-vis his talent level as we had in that 1990s group. Freddie at least had the back excuse like Willett does and Sneds has with his ribs.

With a few exceptions in each generation, I greatly prefer this younger generation of both Americans and Euros than their predecessors. They're more talented, they don't make excuses, and they're more collegial.

Taciturn is being kind. It's like he thought if he smiled it would be a rules violation.

A US fan just sunk a putt after being called out for heckling Justin Rose. The dude won $100 for the putt

Taciturn is being kind. It's like he thought if he smiled it would be a rules violation.

FWIW, my best friend from growing up is married to a girl whose Dad died on same plane as DL Jr. Families have stayed close so my friend has gotten to know Love family very well (will be at the Cup this week). Davis is extremely down to earth, friendly, not much of an ego, etc. For example, this week he invited the guys from the local St. Simons BBQ spot to bring their smoker up and cook a big dinner for the team last night. Think anyone who knows him would laugh pretty hard if they heard him described as taciturn and unapproachable.

I'm sure VJ Singh's friends love him too, but regular old fans can only go by what they see at the tournaments or when the cameras are rolling.

I knew Love's daughter pretty well growing up and have interacted with him a bunch of times. Super nice guy, usually comes across as a big doof.

I seriously doubt it. The guys I mentioned are "names" and Nicklaus was there.

No one was more dominant than Tiger Woods in a 10 year stretch.

No one was more dominant than Jack in a 25 year stretch.

Easier to make a name with a more extended stretch of great play compared to 10 years of a stranglehold.

I'm sure VJ Singh's friends love him too, but regular old fans can only go by what they see at the tournaments or when the cameras are rolling.

Exactly. Almost none of us have any first hand knowledge about these guys. It's all based on how they come across on TV.

Exactly. Almost none of us have any first hand knowledge about these guys. It's all based on how they come across on TV.

Deciding not to like a golfer (or any athlete really) basically because he does not smile enough while playing, just seems odd to me, but to each their own.

Deciding not to like a golfer (or any athlete really) basically because he does not smile enough while playing, just seems odd to me, but to each their own.

Showmanship, style, charisma have a lot to do with the popularity of tour players. Robots aren't as well liked. Not sure what is strange about that.

Sutton and Watson deserved to get slammed. Unwritten rule or not. And Reeds awesome, no idea why you don't like him week to week.

Listen, we get that you love DL3 but don't act like you don't like or not like athletes or movie stars based on very limited knowledge of them. It's the nature of public perception. Really not that odd at all

Back