• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Field House dedication

Congrats on your wealth. And thanks for supporting Ron Wellman. He's done a dynamite job over the last decade. We may even get a road win next year!

If only educational facilities were as important as a new airplane hanger to most people.
Where did I say I was wealthy? Who said I was supportive of Wellman? How do you know I haven't given even more money to educational facilities? PS - i have and continue to do so. Thanks for your constructive feedback though and thanks for all you are doing and will do for Wake.

Panties not in a wad. I took it as a cheap shot at folks in the room having "old money", as in money given, not earned. I didn't interpret it as the folks in the room being old. Sorry if i misunderstood. Hope you were there.

Was solely meant as a comment that many supporters there last night had been around the track a few times. And that's as it should be. Most younger donors don't have the discretionary income to throw big dollars at this type of project - and unless they are in or near Winston, they're not going to show up for a dedication on a week night. If my terminology caused someone to think I was accusing a room full of Juniors of passing along Daddy's money, that was not the intention. I wish we had a few more J. Barefoot Tipton IIIs to bankroll a few things at Wake.

Was solely meant as a comment that many supporters there last night had been around the track a few times. And that's as it should be. Most younger donors don't have the discretionary income to throw big dollars at this type of project - and unless they are in or near Winston, they're not going to show up for a dedication on a week night. If my terminology caused someone to think I was accusing a room full of Juniors of passing along Daddy's money, that was not the intention. I wish we had a few more J. Barefoot Tipton IIIs to bankroll a few things at Wake.
Cool. We are all pulling for the same cause. Panties are out of my crack.

In 2006 all the other ACC schools we competed with had 1990s and 2000s facilities, except for Duke, which had 1970s facilities. Yesterday, Clawson stated that prior to the construction of the indoor practice facility, Wake was at the absolute bottom in terms of facilities in the ACC, with FSU first, Clemson second, and Duke third.

Duke 3rd?

Duke 3rd?

Ours definitely will take over Duke as third of that is true. I've seen their facilities before and it is one practice field and an average looking indoor field, paired with their crappy stadium. Not trying to sound snarky (because it is duke), but this indoor facility alone blows theirs out of the water. Pair that with out new weight room that will go up sometime soon and we are set.

That's the thing- everyone has (or did) praise Wellman for upgrading the Wake athletic facilities, and while he has done that, it has really not be an upgrade when compared to the other schools in the conference. Despite all the upgrades, we are still at or near the bottom. All Wellman has done is maintain the status quo.

Until all those schools start spending on the next big thing.

I don't get why people imply that we shouldn't try to remain competitive with our facilities. We may not be able to keep up with the Clemson's, but we MUST demonstrate to recruits that we are serious about competing at the P5 level. This time of the year is all about in-person visits, and those visits are all about showing off your facilities. Additionally it's clear that investing in facilities was part of the Duke formula.

I also don't get why people think the indoor facility was a Wellman thing when its seems clear to me that it was a McCreary/Clawson thing.

I don't get why people imply that we shouldn't try to remain competitive with our facilities. We may not be able to keep up with the Clemson's, but we MUST demonstrate to recruits that we are serious about competing at the P5 level. This time of the year is all about in-person visits, and those visits are all about showing off your facilities. Additionally it's clear that investing in facilities was part of the Duke formula.

I also don't get why people think the indoor facility was a Wellman thing when its seems clear to me that it was a McCreary/Clawson thing.

Uhh, because Wellman's the AD ? If Clawson said, "I'm not coming here without a commitment that you'll improve facilities, including an indoor practice facility," and Wellman agreed, isn't that a Wellman commitment ?

So when does work begin on the replacement facility? After all, this one's quickly becoming obsolete.

We just need Michael Anthony to show up a few more times with those checks.

That's an impressive building.

Kind of funny how the facilities are VASTLY superior than when I was at Wake but the teams are so much worse.

THIS. Hopefully coaching, recruiting and eventually winning will catch up to the nice facilities.

So when does work begin on the replacement facility? After all, this one's quickly becoming obsolete.

This.

I'm not opposed to spending to improve the program but I'm not convinced this doesn't just put us further behind in that there won't be the money out there for the next big thing.

This.

I'm not opposed to spending to improve the program but I'm not convinced this doesn't just put us further behind in that there won't be the money out there for the next big thing.

I don't understand this logic at all. This sounds like someone refusing to buy a car because eventually they can buy a Ferrari.

Back