• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diplomacy

New game up.

Pit Does Diplomacy
godeacs

Did random for country as there are noobs mixed in with some vets, so there is no benefit/exploitation.

DaDeacs
Smoove
Doofus
Numbers
SD3
?
?

Bernie is also in. If we have enough that want to play that aren't in the other game I'll bow out

Sure, so right now we've got 7, and if somebody else wants in then Numbers can be replaced.

I'm interested. But how active do I have to be each day over the next few weeks?

I'm interested. But how active do I have to be each day over the next few weeks?

you have to submit moves once per 24 hours minimum. To be effective, you have to talk to people daily.

I'll play if you need one more. Been a few years since I played. Probably the last time the game was held by the board.

NINETY FIVE HOURS LEFT FOR TURN ONE!?!?

What in the fucking fuck?!

Also, I got ITALIA. I'm bringing in SMOOVE to dominate this shit all over again.

italy_1897_naval_ensign.gif

ITALY FOREVER

I'm here as a consultant if you need me.

What timelines are we aiming for with this? Speaking only for Doofus and I, we can make a move a day pretty easily (not counting time needed for negotiations and correspondence). I will need to look over things tonight when I get home for sure though.

(Bolding added) This might be my favorite unintentionally hilarious quote ever about Diplomacy.

If anyone in the game wants free advice (you get what you pay for), let me know.

Otherwise, I'll just watch and heckle.

All other things being equal, I expect the twins will enjoy a short game.

Diplomacy Signup

I will play in second game. I am a complete noob though. I can also watch a vet if that's better. I have no idea what I am doing. If there a link to a good spot for rules/strategy?

Last edited:
the wiki isn't bad, reading the rules is a must. You will be completely lost on things like support and complex orders

I promised heckling, so here we go.

The state of play:

With the help of 50+ years of gameplay and the Diplomacy Openings catalog, let's take a look at what happened starting in the west.

England
A pretty vanilla Northern Opening. Toogs certainly won't win any awards for originality, but he also won't lose the game after one move either. The move shows that he trusts France (no bounce in the English Channel), but that he doesn't completely trust France to the point of no return (or else the army would be in Edi, giving him the option to convoy with either fleet. It isn't really an anti-German move either though. If anything, it's slightly anti-Russian, but everyone knows that Norway will be England's after 1901.

France
Gooner opened with pretty typical Atlantic opening, albeit with an aggressive move toward Burgundy. Those of you watching the game should question whether the bounce in Burgundy was planned or not. My guess is that it was. Many France's and Germany's like to get an immediate bounce out of the way to establish trust. Notice, however, that he didn't do the same with English. The end result of this move is that he can take Portugal and Spain in the fall, clearing the way for at least two builds. It also gives him a say over what happens in Belgium.

Germany
I hate Gouda's opening, termed the Dutch opening (because of where his fleet went). It gives up any say in keeping Russia out of Sweden (in fact, he might as well have hung a Welcome to Stockholmigrad sign), while not allowing Germany to strike fear in anyone's hearts. If the bounce wasn't predetermined, then he gambled incorrectly. If it was, well, now Munich is stuck doing nothing in the fall. He had better hope England allies with him, otherwise Toogs could easily bounce him out of Denmark or have France support him into Belgium. Not good times for Germany.

Swinging around to the Mediterranean and one of my favorite countries to play (yes, only dv7 and I actually like playing Italy I think)...

Italy
So, of course, who draws Italy this game? dv7. Anyway, his opening is a Tyrolian variant on lepanto, which I like quite a bit. To quote liberally from the opening archive, "The order A Ven-Tyr is favored in many quarters, as it is is positive and powerful. It allows A Tyr-Mun if there is an Anglo-German alliance threatening France. This will bolster the French defense and help keep the West stalemated. A Ven-Tyr may also stand off a German sneak attack from Munich. It also gives the possibility of A Tyr-Boh (and thence to Gal), adding to Austria's defensive line if this is necessary."

In short, it gives Italy some sway in a game where Italy often gets stuck in the middle doing nothing. Of course, the last possibility is that Italy simply attacks Austria.

Austria
Doofus opened with the Balkan Gambit, probably the most popular Austrian opening. When Austria's neighbors are all convinced not to attack it by impressive diplomacy, this opening provides Austria with quick momentum out of the gates. About the only thing that would cause you to worry if you're Austria and you play this opening is if Russia moves to Galicia. Or maybe if Italy moves to Tyrolia. Hmm...

At this point, doofus should be on an ass kissing adventure to see who he can sway to his side. In terms of preferences, if I were in his shoes, I would rank them as 1) Turkey, 2) Italy, 3) Russia.

Turkey
Redwing drew the country with the fewest potential openings. Seriously, I hate when I draw Turkey because I just want to lie to Russia and Austria and get the game to 1904 already. Anyway, this looks like an obvious pre-arranged bounce in the Black Sea. Neither army moved to Russia and instead moved toward the Balkans. With shrewd diplomacy, Turkey could end up with two builds and a lovely corner position.

Russia
Eagles opened with a Southern Defense and got super lucky that Austria didn't bounce him out of Galicia. Alternatively, Eagles promised a DMZ and Galicia and astutely realized that he could just move there. Either way, as the name implies, Russia is well defended against either Turkey or Austria. In this case, it appears that Eagles didn't actually need the defense and probably wishes he had another unit in the north. After the winter builds, he almost certainly will as he will take both Sweden and Rumania with ease should he desire.

Conclusions
Nothing is decided in the west yet, but I like both France's and England's positions better than Germany's. In the east, Russia looks great, Turkey looks fine, and Italy looks like it will become relevant quite quickly. Austria looks like it needs some serious help.

How will the western triangle be decided? My crystal ball says an F/E alliance.
What will happen in the east? I'm going with an R/I alliance that eats Austria first, then turns on Turkey.
Which theater will get resolved first? If my predictions are correct, the West. F/E will take out Germany and French fleets will be at Italy's doorstep right when he is trying to finish off Turkey.

What did I miss? Are we doing diplomacy now instead of mafia? Can I play?

Someone should take my spot in the other game. I'm just helping out Doofus in the first game (for the time we have left together #prayforthearchduke).

Also hopefully everyone in the first game is aware that the Fall 1901 period is ending within the hour.

Someone should take my spot in the other game. I'm just helping out Doofus in the first game (for the time we have left together #prayforthearchduke).

Also hopefully everyone in the first game is aware that the Fall 1901 period is ending within the hour.

A diplomacy hint: if you haven't heard from anyone lately, they all aren't "busy in real life" simultaneously. Silence usually does mean everyone is out to get you. It's a pity, though, I love seeing Austria do well.

Why wait for the 1914 inevitability when we can finish the Archduke off in 1901? Saves 13 years of powderkegging in the region.

Back