• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Peanut butter

fg3.jpg

Yeah. We can't give our 7 year old son anything that has been processed in a facility with peanuts or tree nuts for fear of cross contamination. That includes eating at restaurants where people handle nut products.

Can he have peanut oil? As long as we stay with non-boutique oil, we're fine. The allergic part is in the protein, so as long as it's industrially filtered, we're good.

If you have too big of a peanut allergy you are eliminated from lots of jobs. Have you told him yet he can't be a garbage man PH, astronaut is still good to go but super hero definitely a no go.

Jif makes Peter Pan taste like ground roaches

Which is interesting, because isn't it true that there is a very small amount of cockroach parts that are permissible within a certain volume of peanut butter when it is processed at the plant? Or is that just an urban legend.

Make your own with a food processor using the best roasted peanuts you can find. Homemade almond butter > homemade peanut butter.

Do kids outgrow these crazy peanut allergies?

Also did a lot of kids from previous generations have these allergies or was it rarer or did no one care.

how did y'all figure out your child's allergy? hopefully not in an emergency style way!

Gave her PB when she was really little, no problems. Gave her a PB sandwich a couple months later, hives and shit and we didn't have any sort of epi pen because as far as we knew she had no allergy since she had it fine before. Apparently that's not uncommon for it to not show up really early which is stupid. Good job daddy. So she got a nice hospital trip for like an hour. They even make baby hospital gowns, super cute.

Allergist confirmed the allergy and apparently kids usually don't outgrow it. So I'm hopeful it stays mild for her.

This brand is pretty much the winner. I loved the one time I went to their shop near NYU. Despite just saying PB&Co is the best brand, I recently tried some Jif with cinnamon and that made me wonder why other peanut butter exists that doesn't include cinnamon.

Justin's is pretty good too, including their almond butter.

Can he have peanut oil? As long as we stay with non-boutique oil, we're fine. The allergic part is in the protein, so as long as it's industrially filtered, we're good.

Not sure. Our allergist wanted us to give him Chick-Fil-A (fried in peanut oil) to see if it was fine, but we taught him too well and he was too scared to try it.

If you have too big of a peanut allergy you are eliminated from lots of jobs. Have you told him yet he can't be a garbage man PH, astronaut is still good to go but super hero definitely a no go.

This is funny because he did a space camp this summer and he couldn't eat any of the astronaut food.

Do kids outgrow these crazy peanut allergies?

Some do, some don't.

Also did a lot of kids from previous generations have these allergies or was it rarer or did no one care.

Anecdotally, my sister was allergic to peanuts growing up but didn't know until she was diagnosed as an adult. She had it one time as a kid and didn't feel good afterwards, so she just never ate nuts.

The theory I've heard is that there have been changes in how peanuts are processed that have resulted in more allergies.

how did y'all figure out your child's allergy? hopefully not in an emergency style way!

The emergency way. He was about a year old and either touched or ate another kid's PB sandwich and broke out in hives.

Here's a recent commercial that quickly sums up the risk. It's based on a teenager who died of anaphylaxis at a party.

Last edited:
a grad student chick that lived above me one summer at wake had the peanut allergy bad. she carried an epi pen everywhere and said that she'd be in trouble even if she touched a door handle after someone that are peanuts. Not sure about that but we did hook up a little bit one night real drunk. She made out with the infamous Mike prince at Burke street one night which was cool. Her roommate was real loose too, heard her bang all the time, but we never touched that one.

Back