• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Turns out Democracy is the Debacle

The ones who are running especially those trying to beat Republicans in states Biden won. And if you read my post, you’d see I’m saying they should run against that shit performance by Dems.

Townie, you think Progressives can win running as Republicans or independents? What’s your plan?

Pop, if those are your villains, why punish people who took out the loans?

Seeking a college education is a choice, one that many can’t afford either financially or commitment wise.
Those who can attend and must borrow (as most do) need to be realistic on what they are borrowing and vigilant in the post college occupation they chose to meet the requirement of paying that debt.
Whether the debt is covered by the Government or private lenders there is simply no fair and equitable way to simply “forgive” the debt. Many parents have spent a major % of their retirement funds or have made choices to have much less to educate their children rather have them borrow the funds.

Seeking a college education is a choice, one that many can’t afford either financially or commitment wise.
Those who can attend and must borrow (as most do) need to be realistic on what they are borrowing and vigilant in the post college occupation they chose to meet the requirement of paying that debt.
Whether the debt is covered by the Government or private lenders there is simply no fair and equitable way to simply “forgive” the debt. Many parents have spent a major % of their retirement funds or have made choices to have much less to educate their children rather have them borrow the funds.

I don’t know a lot about the debt cancelling movement. At first blush, it seemed kind of odd. People knew what they were getting into (or should have known) when borrowing. and many others have worked to pay off their debt so why should some have their debt cancelled? And how would loans and debt work going forward.

I get that those with debt would be all for this, but I thought it might not be very popular with others. But when I looked into polling, it seems to have broad support. I would like to hear more about the movement, the arguments, and the logistics.

Townie, you think Progressives can win running as Republicans or independents? What’s your plan?

Yeah, the dems proposed a lot of progressive legislation, but it is currently blocked by 1-2 dems. So the solution to get the progressive BBB passed is 1-2 more dem senators, no? Not a single pub voted for it, so that’s not the answer. I’m interested to hear what Townie suggests.

The ones who are running especially those trying to beat Republicans in states Biden won. And if you read my post, you’d see I’m saying they should run against that shit performance by Dems.

Pop, if those are your villains, why punish people who took out the loans?

Nah I’m just done caring anymore, I’m comfy and overprivileged and resigned to the fact that nobody in politics wants to give my kids a better life than I do

Time to just laugh instead of being Charlie Brown trying to kick the football again

Dems deserve to get utterly boat raced in 22 and will. Psaki and Pelosi are a perfect public face for the contempt the party feels for their voters.

I don’t know a lot about the debt cancelling movement. At first blush, it seemed kind of odd. People knew what they were getting into (or should have known) when borrowing. and many others have worked to pay off their debt so why should some have their debt cancelled? And how would loans and debt work going forward.

I get that those with debt would be all for this, but I thought it might not be very popular with others. But when I looked into polling, it seems to have broad support. I would like to hear more about the movement, the arguments, and the logistics.

Think of it as lowering taxes on getting an education.

Could make the same argument about any social spending

Screen%20Shot%202021-12-16%20at%203.05.05%20PM.png

Could make the same argument about any social spending

I guess. Maybe recent college grads aren’t a group that generates much sympathy? Maybe I’m thinking more about students from top ranked universities instead of college students as a whole?

Talk to me about logistics. Would we forgive everything? The parents that make $400,000 per year but took out loans for their kids to go to High Point - would they be included? What would happen going forward regarding loans and college?

Rafi, who benefits from not forgiving student loans? Why is not forgiving student loans better for the country?

Interesting. Thanks.

Overall, Biden’s approval has increased some in the past few weeks. I would guess that’s in spite of his status with the under 30 crowd.

I would think withdrawing from Afghanistan would poll well with those under 30, but he may not want to push that because of the deaths that occurred during withdrawal. I would also guess Biden is more focused on the older groups because 1) he’s old and 2) that’s who votes the most.

I would think withdrawing from Afghanistan would poll well with those under 30, but he may not want to push that because of the deaths that occurred during withdrawal. I would also guess Biden is more focused on the older groups because 1) he’s old and 2) that’s who votes the most.

imo, Biden shouldn't really be concerned with who votes the most.

Rafi, who benefits from not forgiving student loans? Why is not forgiving student loans better for the country?

I guess the answer to the first question is taxpayers. And the answer to the second question is that it’s expensive and other programs may be better options for spending.

I’m not against the idea, I just think I don’t really understand it. Especially how it would work going forward.

I guess the answer to the first question is taxpayers. And the answer to the second question is that it’s expensive and other programs may be better options for spending.

I’m not against the idea, I just think I don’t really understand it. Especially how it would work going forward.

How do taxpayers benefit from not forgiving student loans? Taxpayers include people with student loans. Also dollars not going to student loans would go to taxpayers instead. Imagine millions of people with an extra several hundred dollars to spend every month.

It blows my mind that this is controversial for some. Government and banks adjust loans and forgive debt all the time. Why are student loans so sacred?

That would be nice, but voters are the focus of most politicians and political parties.

he's an elected president who probably isn't going to run again. i'd wager he's more concerned about his impact/legacy as a president (RIP BBB) than whether the old people are ready to vote blue next election.

Back