• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Question for MHB or others who are serious supporters of the DSA. Coming from someone who is very sympathetic to the platform -- in an ideal world, I'd lover for nearly all the things that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has campaigned on would come to pass -- has there been any serious economic analysis done to explain how it will all be paid for? I've seen a lot of "tax the rich and big corps, cut defense spending" rhetoric, but that wouldn't be nearly enough to pay for the things being promised. I feel like getting some actual economists to put models together for public scrutiny would be a great step to more widespread legitimacy. Maybe these exist and I haven't seen them?

Question for MHB or others who are serious supporters of the DSA. Coming from someone who is very sympathetic to the platform -- in an ideal world, I'd lover for nearly all the things that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has campaigned on would come to pass -- has there been any serious economic analysis done to explain how it will all be paid for? I've seen a lot of "tax the rich and big corps, cut defense spending" rhetoric, but that wouldn't be nearly enough to pay for the things being promised. I feel like getting some actual economists to put models together for public scrutiny would be a great step to more widespread legitimacy. Maybe these exist and I haven't seen them?
There is room in the current budget for most of the projects, it just requires r reallocation of current funds, including a major cut in defense spending. Currently the US spends more on healthcare per person than other countries with socialized health care. Our budget heavily subsidizes private industries all over the economic spectrum and that results in further inequality and inefficiency.

That's the rub. There is no way to do so without stifling innovation and growth. Which is why it is always a tug of war between providing welfare for your citizens and providing incentives for business innovation and growth.

Most of the Nordic economies have broad based tax systems that are more less progressive than our tax system.

I think the point is that at this point in history, equality and ensuring a minimum quality of life for everyone supersedes growth, especially as it relates to natural resource-intensive growth.

As for innovation and growth, people seem to dismiss the economic stagnation in this country caused by debt and class immobility. We have a huge segment of the population with suppressed potential - who are unable to contribute to innovation or entrepreneurship because of their economic status.

There is room in the current budget for most of the projects, it just requires r reallocation of current funds, including a major cut in defense spending. Currently the US spends more on healthcare per person than other countries with socialized health care. Our budget heavily subsidizes private industries all over the economic spectrum and that results in further inequality and inefficiency.

Do you have a link to the economic analysis that shows this? It's easy to say there's room in the budget.

Bouie’s follow up tweet is good as well.

Do you have a link to the economic analysis that shows this? It's easy to say there's room in the budget.

Republicans just passed a tax cut that’s going to blow up the debt by almost $2T. They had “economic analysis” that convinced them it would benefit the economy. Nothing Democrats can do will convince them a progressive plan will fit in the budget and Republicans will do whatever they can to make sure it doesn’t work.

Republicans just passed a tax cut that’s going to blow up the debt by almost $2T. They had “economic analysis” that convinced them it would benefit the economy. Nothing Democrats can do will convince them a progressive plan will fit in the budget and Republicans will do whatever they can to make sure it doesn’t work.

They didn't though, that's the thing. They had people in the administration make random projections. Every serious analysis, even the right leaning economists (Tax Foundation) showed essentially the same thing: they were full of shit, the plan would blow up the debt and wouldn't get close to the growth numbers they were "projecting." Rubes don't care, but smart people rightly crushed them for it, and continue to do so. I think it's fair, especially given the platform would call for a radical restructuring of the economy which is already on an unsustainable path, to ask for a serious effort to model the costs before making big promises.

nancy pelosi is the WORST

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. She's never been very impressive or persuasive in her television appearances, and I don't think she's ever been an effective spokesperson for the party. I keep reading that she's a great fundraiser for the party, but if you can't win a majority it seems to me that all that money is wasted. She should have groomed a younger, more dynamic successor, and retired several years ago, but she just keeps hanging on, hoping that the Dems can win back a majority in the House. She's a great example of a career politician who's hung on for far too long, and her usefulness ended a long time ago, imo.

Last edited:
but at incoherence, she's the best

just think, when you vote dim for your rep., you vote for her

LOL. For all of her flaws - and I'm no fan either - she's still better than whatever extreme right-wing Tea Party clown the GOP puts up for the position, imo.

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. She's never been very impressive or persuasive in her television appearances, and I don't think she's ever been an effective spokesperson for the party. I keep reading that she's a great fundraiser for the party, but if you can't win a majority it seems to me that all that money is wasted. She should have groomed a younger, more dynamic successor, and retired several years ago, but she just keeps hanging on, hoping that the Dems can win back a majority in the House. She's a great example of a career politician who's hung on for far too long, and her usefulness ended a long time ago, imo.

Well said. Hopefully these new progressive reps will force her out.

Maybe try to obtain some power before an ideological purge. The current strategy seems to be setting up the supreme court as being conservative for a generation. High price to pay when the people you want to put in power aren't even close to being able to do anything.

Back