• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I found three bottles of Tomatin Decades for my pops for Christmas. Is a mix of barrels from 5 Decades:

1967 - Refill Sherry Hogshead
1976 - Oloroso Sherry Butts
1984 - Refill Sherry Hogsdeads
1990 - First Fill Bourbon Barrels
2005 - Fill Bourbon Barrels

It’s pretty good stuff.

Where did you find that?? Sounds great!

$56 plus tax if I remember correctly, so we'll say $60. Yeah, I've been wanting to try the OF 1920, asked for it for Christmas and didn't get it, mostly money to buy what I wanted so I picked it up down there. They also had the OF Statesman, which was intriguing but not enough for me to pick it up.

Interestingly on the Statesman, I've been ignoring it, but based on seeing this I am definitely going to give it a go:

http://www.breakingbourbon.com/favorite-whiskeys-of-2017.html

Anybody had this?

http://www.manifestdistilling.com/mwp

A buddy of mine picked up a bottle last week. Hoping to try some of it this weekend. He is more of a scotch guy, but has been trying more bourbon recently. I may or may not be the reason for that!

Last edited:
We stumbled across these twelve barrels of high-rye bourbon which originated at the old Seagrams facility in Lawrenceburg, IN.

That's a fairly disingenuous way of saying we bought finished bourbon from MGP and will charge you more than we should. As if these were accidentally discovered under some wreckage in an abandoned warehouse!

That's a fairly disingenuous way of saying we bought finished bourbon from MGP and will charge you more than we should. As if these were accidentally discovered under some wreckage in an abandoned warehouse!

agree with this...though 9 year old MGP product could be quite good. speaking of MGP, thanks to this forum I bought Jim Beam stock a few years ago and got a huge pop when they were purchased by Suntory. Then put money into MGP a couple of years ago at $40...sitting at $76 today. Good things come to those who drink bourbon...and put their money where their mouth is.

Fortunate enough to find a bottle of Weller 12 for $25. Damn good value for a bottle I rarely, if ever see.

Hyvee grocery store in Raytown, Missouri.

I'll be on the next flight

I usually stock up with a couple bottles like that during my trip to South Texas to visit my mom, where bourbon/scotch is not exactly a hot commodity....Weller 12 was probably the highlight last time, still have some left over so I may partake this weekend

Public Service Announcement in NC: if you are a Wild Turkey Rare Breed fan (I am), NC is either no longer stocking or WT is no longer producing 375ml bottles. Because of this, the great state of NC's board has reduced the price of all 375's from $21.95 to $13.95. So, that means you can essentially get a 5th of Rare Breed for $28 instead of its normal price of $44. This, my friends, is ridiculous as there isn't a bourbon in the world that can match Rare Breed at $28. So, stock up and drink up. I'll be getting a case this weekend.

Thx for the tip

Picked up a case.

I like most all bourbon, so I’m pretty sure I’ll like this one.

Guys in the store said it was the best deal in the place.

anyone try Widow Jane?

Yeah, I tried it in a bar. It was ok - drank like a younger whiskey even though they age state it at 10 years. In Denver the bottles are all >$70; hard pass at that price point. It should be a $40-50 bottle, at most, in my opinion.

It's sourced whiskey cut with water from the Catskills (NY). I'd try at a bar before going out to get a bottle.

Gentlemen, This morning my first grandchild was born. A most wonderous occasion that i suggest for all. Right now I am drinking an airplane bottle of Old Granddad that I pulled from my grandmothers cabinet at least 20 years ago. My guess is she brought it home from her flight to London that she took in the summer of 1970. The liquor is wonderful, it's probably just the glow of the moment, but Old Granddad born in the 60's isn't bad bourbon. I'll probably pour some OGBOARD bourbon to watch the Deacs.

Gentlemen, This morning my first grandchild was born. A most wonderous occasion that i suggest for all. Right now I am drinking an airplane bottle of Old Granddad that I pulled from my grandmothers cabinet at least 20 years ago. My guess is she brought it home from her flight to London that she took in the summer of 1970. The liquor is wonderful, it's probably just the glow of the moment, but Old Granddad born in the 60's isn't bad bourbon. I'll probably pour some OGBOARD bourbon to watch the Deacs.

Congratulations!

I can find a bottle of Blanton’s almost anytime I want. I have seen one bottle of Elmer T Lee in the past three years. Agree, Blanton’s is better, but it’s nearly twice the price.

In Lexington bars the Elmer T Lee was slightly more expensive than Blantons.

Just picked up a bottle of Weller Special Reserve for $25. One per customer and I got the last one. It looks like this stuff sells for a lot more online. Good stuff?

I haven't had it or seen it in a while (thanks Pappy), but it's equivalent to Makers and Larceny. I liked it better than those. Probably worth the $25.

Back