• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Jw20:

cba274cb40edc5d03be7078c0045a27f.jpg

A decent amount of peat on the nose, but also something else I can’t put my finger on. Something nutty maybe. I taste a good amount of peat and maybe cooked apples. Still pretty nutty. A nice tingle at almost 114pf. I’m not usually one for a lot of peat but this is really elegant (yeah fuckers, that’s right, elegant, I said it). This might be the best of the lot so far. Ok, maybe not the best, but maybe my favorite. I might see if I can find a bottle of this, probs on secondary.

Do they say where it was distilled?

Nope. In looking for it I saw speculation of either Ardbeg or Caol.

Two up tonight. JW21:

38ee3ab69adaecee7845b14d2a838f3c.jpg

Well now, this is pretty awesome. Sooo much chocolate. A deep rich sweetness. A little dark fruit as if there is a wine cask somewhere in the blend. And although it’s 50 years, it’s not over oaked at all. This is a spectacular pour. One of the best I can remember.

JW22:

1b04f169244a067781ea91f1fcbe0900.jpg

This one is completely different from the last. I get honey and banana. It’s pretty bright and floral too. A really nice pour to be sure, but it doesn’t hold a candle to jw21 for me.

Next to last. JW23:

a49bfb393d4832fdc53d7456cc1c6ac3.jpg

Really nice scotch. Tastes like wine older Macallan. Sweet, oaky, chocolate. Nice burn to it. Just a nice pour.

Last whiskey of the season. JW24:

6b767cdddb19875d88e4e7c4a6119d12.jpg

This is the sister to a couple of nice nights ago. Lots of chocolate. Some sweet fruit. Again, there’s got to be a sherry cask somewhere in the blend. Just a fantastic pour.

I used to regularly have Blantons until it got too popular. Finally found my first bottle in 2 years in Lexington. Merry Christmas to me. Also tried Elmer T Lee. Trying it right after the Blantons it was clear I prefer the Blantons.

I used to regularly have Blantons until it got too popular. Finally found my first bottle in 2 years in Lexington. Merry Christmas to me. Also tried Elmer T Lee. Trying it right after the Blantons it was clear I prefer the Blantons.

I can find a bottle of Blanton’s almost anytime I want. I have seen one bottle of Elmer T Lee in the past three years. Agree, Blanton’s is better, but it’s nearly twice the price.

Sure it’s been mentioned but I’ve been enjoying a bottle of Doc Porter’s. It’s a local, CLT single barrel.

Was in MB the week between Christmas and New Year's. Pick up two bottles of Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel, a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and a bottle of Mount Gay 1703 Old Cask Selection rum.

Was in MB the week between Christmas and New Year's. Pick up two bottles of Rebel Yell 10 Year Single Barrel, a bottle of Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and a bottle of Mount Gay 1703 Old Cask Selection rum.

Pavilion Beverage? They're awesome - had their own Evan Williams Single Barrel bottling a few years ago that was great.

Pavilion Beverage? They're awesome - had their own Evan Williams Single Barrel bottling a few years ago that was great.

Yes! Checked out Green's also. Their selection was OK but Pavilion in NMB was much better.

I always hit Pavilion. Have gotten the EWSB store select there along with Buffalo Trace and Angel's Envy store picks. Their prices are pretty fair. Last time there I chatted with one of the guys for a bit and he went in the back and got me a Weller Special Reserve for $18 or so? They also have some stuff posted on a paper that they don't keep on the shelf, hopefully you saw that. Owens in MB has a pretty good selection too but their prices are absurd on the higher end stuff. I go there to stock up on Old Ezra 101 and last time got a Whistlepig store pick for $80 that is really fantastic.

How much was the RY 10 year? I really enjoyed it at $50 but I think it is $60 or $65 now, not sure at that price. The OF 1920 is on the shelf at most NC stores these days.

Just got a bottle of Tomatin 12 and Tomatin 18. Both are excellent!

I found three bottles of Tomatin Decades for my pops for Christmas. Is a mix of barrels from 5 Decades:

1967 - Refill Sherry Hogshead
1976 - Oloroso Sherry Butts
1984 - Refill Sherry Hogsdeads
1990 - First Fill Bourbon Barrels
2005 - Fill Bourbon Barrels

It’s pretty good stuff.

I always hit Pavilion. Have gotten the EWSB store select there along with Buffalo Trace and Angel's Envy store picks. Their prices are pretty fair. Last time there I chatted with one of the guys for a bit and he went in the back and got me a Weller Special Reserve for $18 or so? They also have some stuff posted on a paper that they don't keep on the shelf, hopefully you saw that. Owens in MB has a pretty good selection too but their prices are absurd on the higher end stuff. I go there to stock up on Old Ezra 101 and last time got a Whistlepig store pick for $80 that is really fantastic.

Yes, I saw the list posted on the bourbon aisle. I went one day and they had Weller SR in the back, the next day they were out.

How much was the RY 10 year? I really enjoyed it at $50 but I think it is $60 or $65 now, not sure at that price. The OF 1920 is on the shelf at most NC stores these days.

$56 plus tax if I remember correctly, so we'll say $60. Yeah, I've been wanting to try the OF 1920, asked for it for Christmas and didn't get it, mostly money to buy what I wanted so I picked it up down there. They also had the OF Statesman, which was intriguing but not enough for me to pick it up.

Back