• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I was given the Japanese Whiskey Advent Calendar. I bought the Irish Whiskey Advent Calendar for myself. I don't wait on the days of Advent. I just plow right in. :)

Today’s Jesus whiskey is:

4ee578b9321f59c9bb653b358896cd53.jpg

I get nutmeg and maybe banana on the nose. Kind of like eggnog. I defs taate caramel and some chocolate. It’s quite malty and quite viscous. No smoke. Fairly unique overall and I really like it. Would make for a nice after dinner scotch.

Picking up a George T Stagg and a Elijah Craig barrel proof B517 from a buddy this week, both at retail, pretty pumped!

Jesus whiskey day four:

e424db78264d6295024ae3a742a97653.jpg

I smelled the peat from 3 feet away. Then I tasted the peat. And nothing else. As soon as I think I’m getting some kind of actual flavor, BAM, more peat.

JW5:

732748c8aeaf947843e3049377251f14.jpg

A little research indicates this is from a famous speyside distillery, of which there are a ton. But it’s really nice. I get leather and lemon and maybe honey. A nice little burn. Really smooth. This one here is my cup o tea. I would drink this all day.

Jesus whiskey 6:

c369842fda1a34a10144f0b766449cc2.jpg

This one is pretty good. I typically like Bruichladdich stuff, so that’s not a surprise to me. I get burnt orange peal and some sweetness like brown sugar. A fair dose of peat in this one, but not overpowering. A really nice scotch for people that like some peat but don’t need a bomb.

I used to love bourbons back in the day but the new enthusiasm for them takes away something for me. (Back in the day, you could get PVW 20 off the shelf at a random liquor store at the beach) So if you want to try an excellent whiskey at a great price, I recommend Suntory Toki. But don't tell anyone else - that's how the great bourbons became a challenge.

Jw7:

d9265b09e815f842adf265202620c231.jpg

This is interesting. Very light in color. I get some dried fruit, like maybe apricot. Kind of sweet. Light light peat, almost not there, but the hint is nice. Very smooth, with a little burn. And I’m taking small sips and it’s lasting a long time. This is defs a quality whiskey.

Jesus whiskey 6:

c369842fda1a34a10144f0b766449cc2.jpg

This one is pretty good. I typically like Bruichladdich stuff, so that’s not a surprise to me. I get burnt orange peal and some sweetness like brown sugar. A fair dose of peat in this one, but not overpowering. A really nice scotch for people that like some peat but don’t need a bomb.

Burnt orange peel is spot on. I’ve gotten that quite a bit as well, especially in the nose.

I'm trying to find some Goose Island Bourbon County Stout as a Christmas gift, and I figured if anyone could help me find it it would be folks on this thread. Literally two bottles would be enough.

DM me if you can help. Negrep me if you think I'm a doofus for even asking.

So I’m a day behind in posting. JW8 was tasted at ~35,000 feet somewhere over Central America:

3ab4b6cdbc78941f1e66cf1510a57f7d.jpg

I took notes so I wouldn’t forget. Sweet and raisiny, like a px sherry, with a similar thick viscosity. Nice light burn but very smooth. It’s one of the more unique whiskeys I’ve ever had, but also one of the most exceptional. I would buy all of this.

Where would you even buy half of these? Seems like a tough buy at even a superstore like Total Wine

El güisqui de Jesús nueve (since I’m in Argentina)

2d9eb3e6d7bc1b7e677525ea27dd28b0.jpg

This one is a good whiskey, but compared to last night’s it’s not close. It’s got a nice oaky flavor, but not overpowering. Lightly spicy. Decent burn. But overall it’s kind of boring. Nothing to get excited about, but also no complaints. Time to go drink all the Malbec and then eat a side of beef.

El güisqui de Jesús nueve:

c1c6e085b0178c3e06f5884a0b7be075.jpg

So the youngest component in this blend is 35 yrs. This smells exactly like Grand Marnier Cent Cinquantenaire 150. Burnt orange and brown sugar. It’s ridiculously smooth and complex. More orange and chocolate. Not overly sweet. A nice hint of oak that doesn’t overpower. A phenomenal pour. This is one that would impress anyone.

I missed yesterday because I was about 2.5 bottles of wine deep by the time I got back to the Finca after a day of wine tasting in the Uco Valley, and had a long night of drinking still ahead. So I’m catching up. So, JW11:

2dd850a6cd65f20ef2f997b2f7be074b.jpg

This one is buttery and citrusy. Some honey sweetness. Lightly oaky. No peat. No bite at all. It’s a really nice whiskey and I don’t have any real complaints, but it’s kind of boring.

My dad won the right to buy (at $100) a bottle of Pappy Family Reserve 15 Years Old. This weekend I helped him drink some. It tasted like bourbon. Definitely all hype.

The 15 doesn't knock my socks off, either. The 20 is amazing and there are no words to capture the magnificence of the 23. But for the current prices, I will pass.

The chance to buy a bottle at $100? I would take a couple bottles of several others for that price any day. The 15 just isn't that good.

Last edited:
Back