• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who has a Wife or Daughter going to the Woman's March on Washington?

Pro-life women are not welcome at the woman's march, unless they're Muslim. “The Women’s March’s platform is pro-choice and that has been our stance from day one.”
Yet while the organizers claim that only pro-choice groups are allowed to partner with the march on January 21, one day after Donald Trump’s inauguration, the march maintains its ties with anti-abortion Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR).
http://heatst.com/culture-wars/womens-march-on-washington-bans-pro-life-feminists-unless-theyre-muslim/

Going with a group of 10-15 to the one in Boston. Initially said they were expecting 25-30k, recent reports/stories I've seen think it will be 40k or more.

She receives government assistance, but thinks her taxes are too high, she has muslim and latino friends but is xenophobic, wants a religious test and border wall, but she supports same sex marriage. She complains about wealth inequality, but opposes organized labor and raising the minimum wage.

She is the conservative country rube that liberals mock for voting against their own interest, and she is the welfare queen that conservatives mock for having multiple children with no education and living on welfare. She loves Trump for all the reasons that we hate Trump.

I think we found Comrade Stackovich's (lack of) soulmate.

Going with a group of 10-15 to the one in Boston. Initially said they were expecting 25-30k, recent reports/stories I've seen think it will be 40k or more.

Good stuff. I am getting texts and emails from people I haven't talked to in years about going to the one in Boston. This thing is going to be a pretty fucking big deal across the country.

It's also good to see folks who have shied away from political discourse/left it to others (many who are in my own bubble) finally getting out and doing something. Moderate/independents are not typically known for being loud or active in politics. Hopefully that is changing.

Good stuff. I am getting texts and emails from people I haven't talked to in years about going to the one in Boston. This thing is going to be a pretty fucking big deal across the country.

It's also good to see folks who have shied away from political discourse/left it to others (many who are in my own bubble) finally getting out and doing something. Moderate/independents are not typically known for being loud or active in politics. Hopefully that is changing.

Yep, same. A lot of law school friends who aren't active in politics asked if I was going and about meeting up. Warren, Healey, and Walsh are speaking which is also a great draw.

Well, we've got the Women's March in Washington, Marie Antoinette in Davos, a Tennis Court Oath (or two) in Australia, now all we need is a Storming of the Bastille, and we are on our way.

Then we'll drain the swamp!

I've been giving this a lot of thought.
I think I am a little jaded about the impact of marching (this day in age). I believe there are other productive ways I can both make a difference and support women's rights and be a presence. Being on the logistics side of preparing for and managing these large-scale events makes me realize that if you're not also an active supporter of the cause at hand, the people on the other side of the fence aren't exactly saying "oh, hey! Look at all of these people supporting something... they must be on to something, I think I'll listen to their message." Instead, they get more annoyed and bothered that "these people are screwing up my routine, screw them" and it can almost be counterproductive to moving things forward if they weren't already moving that direction. I also don't like the idea of all the opportunists turning the event into something it's not, and multiple credible threats towards an event don't exactly inspire confidence in putting myself into a crowd.

...all of that said, I feel kind of like a coward for saying all of that and recognize my privilege for being able to feel ambivalence. I believe that 10 years from now, I would regret not being part of it. I just generally wonder if protests/marches are the most effective way to move an agenda.

I think I am a little jaded about the impact of marching (this day in age). I believe there are other productive ways I can both make a difference and support women's rights and be a presence. Being on the logistics side of preparing for and managing these large-scale events makes me realize that if you're not also an active supporter of the cause at hand, the people on the other side of the fence aren't exactly saying "oh, hey! Look at all of these people supporting something... they must be on to something, I think I'll listen to their message." Instead, they get more annoyed and bothered that "these people are screwing up my routine, screw them" and it can almost be counterproductive to moving things forward if they weren't already moving that direction. I also don't like the idea of all the opportunists turning the event into something it's not, and multiple credible threats towards an event don't exactly inspire confidence in putting myself into a crowd.

...all of that said, I feel kind of like a coward for saying all of that and recognize my privilege for being able to feel ambivalence. I believe that 10 years from now, I would regret not being part of it. I just generally wonder if protests/marches are the most effective way to move an agenda.

#nope

Good post. Classic "feel good, does nothing" gesture.

I thought white people loved MLK so much because he was all about "peaceful" protests, which is what those BLM thugs should be doing today.

Marches are a way to rally the base and network. I'm not sure if they ever convinced outsiders to support an issue.

The "marches don't work" narrative is often a) justification for not expending the effort/time to get involved or b) a baseless putdown of a movement you don't support.

Just this past year in Chicago, the Chief of Police was fired, the State's Attorney was not re-elected, and the teachers prevented salary cuts due to marches/protests. Of course marches alone don't result in policy changes, but they are a tool to advance a cause, galvanize like-minded groups, and flex democratic muscle, especially toward local politicians.

Marches are a way to rally the base and network. I'm not sure if they ever convinced outsiders to support an issue.

I would argue that in the 1960s, there may not have been as much opportunity to show that there was a strong and unified front, in which case they absolutely showed outsiders there was cause to support an issue (or at least recognize the strength/force of "the others").
That's what I mean/reference when I say that this day in age, I question the effectiveness of marching.

The "marches don't work" narrative is often a) justification for not expending the effort/time to get involved or b) a baseless putdown of a movement you don't support.

Just this past year in Chicago, the Chief of Police was fired, the State's Attorney was not re-elected, and the teachers prevented salary cuts due to marches/protests. Of course marches alone don't result in policy changes, but they are a tool to advance a cause, galvanize like-minded groups, and flex democratic muscle, especially toward local politicians.

I understand this, and I also acknowledge it in my original post.
a. I'm questioning whether or not to participate in the march, but if I do not (and even if I do), I am actively looking for other opportunities to support the general platform the march is looking to support and advance. It's not like if I don't go I'm going to just sit on the couch with my hand in my pants and waste the day.
b. This is definitely not the case.

Congrats. What happened to the homicide rate, "[j]ust this past year in Chicago"? Also, your city is on a collision course with insolvency. Enjoy those salaries why the last.

Congrats. What happened to the homicide rate, "[j]ust this past year in Chicago"? Also, your city is on a collision course with insolvency. Enjoy those salaries why the last.

Okay, that's a different discussion, but still directly contradicts your comment that marches are a "classic "feel good, does nothing" gesture."

Back