• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Penn State fraternity murder

Penn State Student Given 18 Drinks In 82 Minutes Before Hazing Death, Prosecutors Say

————
Prosecutors have filed new charges against members of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity at Penn State, alleging that newly recovered video shows them serving pledge Timothy Piazza excessive quantities of alcohol. The charges filed Monday — which range from involuntary manslaughter to aggravated assault and hazing — rely on surveillance footage taken during the pledge event connected with the 19-year-old's death.

Piazza received "at least 18 drinks in over 1 hour and 22 minutes," Centre County District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller said at a news conference Monday, and he "never once obtained any of those drinks for himself. Brothers [in the fraternity] were coming up to him and giving him those drinks."

That same night after the February event, Piazza would drunkenly fall down the stairs and sustain the injuries that led to his death less than two days later.

"When law enforcement initially evaluated the video footage, fraternity brothers led police to believe that the basement cameras had been inoperable on Bid Acceptance Night," Parks Miller's office said in a statement. "However, after later examining one of the DVR surveillance boxes, State College Police uncovered evidence that the basement camera footage had actually been manually deleted just as State College Police were poised to take possession of the recording equipment."

"State College Police sent the box to the FBI, whose agents were able to restore the video from the deleted hard drive," the district attorney's office added...
————

Tampering with evidence is a bad look. But, it turns out the FBI is a touch smarter than a bunch of idiot frat boys at Penn State.

may have been posted before, but I read that the surveillance cams were put up by a rich alum who paid $$$ to refurbish/redecorate the whole house and was pissed that the brothers kept trashing the place. If I had a shitload of money I wanted to give away, buying sofas for a bunch of fratstars to puke on would be really, really low on my list.

The developer who paid for $8.5 million in renovations to a frat house is a special kind of stupid.

uncle-rico-napoleon-dynamite.jpg

Wake law prof Gregory Parks was on NPR 1A discussing this topic today.
https://the1a.org/shows/2017-11-15/how-to-stop-hazing

Gregory Parks Associate dean of research, public engagement and faculty development and professor of law, Wake Forest University School of Law in Winston-Salem, North Carolina; author, "African American Fraternities & Sororities: The Legacy and the Vision"; active member; Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity

Penn State hasn't learned their lesson because the NCAA didn't teach them one.

Why the fuck would anyone go to Penn State at this point? What a goddamn shithole.

There have been 40 deaths related to fraternities from 2007-2017, and at least one a year. Not defending Penn State but isn't the problem with fraternities and hazing with alcohol?

There have been 40 deaths related to fraternities from 2007-2017, and at least one a year. Not defending Penn State but isn't the problem with fraternities and hazing with alcohol?

I think most cases are not the kind of negligent homicide that occurred at PSU

Fraternities and hazing with alcohol is a problem. Penn State in general is a problem. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Back