• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Penn State fraternity murder

I wasn't in a frat either but the non frat kids on this board are a little too overzealous in their slamming of Greek life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After I read the article, I immediately wished I hadn't because it was so heartbreaking. Ugh... I really cannot imagine the pain his parents, family and friends feel.

All of it was ridiculous, but someone punching him in the abdomen was a particular wtf moment. When I read it I could just imagine some dude trying to be a tough guy and telling the poor kid not to be a pussy or something. Ugh. All of it is just horrible, and I'm glad they have video footage and text messages to help prove out what actually happened.

I wasn't in a frat either but the non frat kids on this board are a little too overzealous in their slamming of Greek life.

Yeah the geed/GDI/whatever butthurt is strong on these boards

Meh Greek life is about as lame as it gets. If that's your thing I'm not mad at ya, but it is super douchy frat star nonsense about 90% of the time. Sucks that at schools like wake Greek life is dominates the social scene.

Also I love how defensive frat bros get as soon as people start making fair points about the douchyness of their lifestyles.

Last edited:
Meh Greek life is about as lame as it gets. If that's your thing I'm not mad at ya, but it is super douchy frat star nonsense about 90% of the time. Sucks that at schools like wake Greek life is dominates the social scene.

Also I love how defensive frat bros get as soon as people start making fair points about the douchyness of their lifestyles.

I love how you make a statement like this and claim you're making fair points and then accuse others of being defensive.

Thinking half of your fellow students are lame while at school musta been really fun. I fell into that sophomore year. Fell out of it Junior year as I realized I was being a twat.

Thinking half of your fellow students are lame while at school musta been really fun. I fell into that sophomore year. Fell out of it Junior year as I realized I was being a twat.

Pretty sure he didn't go to Wake.

Who is on the geed council? Leebs, doofus, ph, and the 3 amigos?

...I was in a sorority and spent most of my time hanging out at a fraternity. Not sure how you made this assumption, other than the fact I think people should be held accountable for their shitty actions.

I love how you make a statement like this and claim you're making fair points and then accuse others of being defensive.
By all means buy your way into a social/networking circle. Just don't act surprised when kids are dying doing the same lame things your frat star bros were doing in school. Don't act like any frat at wake would have acted any different than these kids.

By all means buy your way into a social/networking circle. Just don't act surprised when kids are dying doing the same lame things your frat star bros were doing in school. Don't act like any frat at wake would have acted any different than these kids.

My fraternity stopped an "activity" during hell week and immediately took me to student health because I fainted in the corner after taking two shots of aristocrat (I had the flu). There were certainly brothers who would have "encouraged" me to keep drinking if it were up to them, but the majority, my pledge brothers included, stepped in.

That's what makes this Penn State story so fucked up is that it really only takes one decent person stepping up to do the right thing to keep that from happening.

Like most of college, most of Greek life was pretty stupid. Whether the good parts outweighed the bad depends on the person and the frat, but the number of fraternities where something like this could happen are few and far between.

I bet your fun to party with. The kid chose to drink, and is responsible for what happened afterward. Not the frats fault.

How do you square these posts? Also, that first post is one of the most remarkably callous things I've ever read on here. I can't imagine anyone reading that timeline and then posting that.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people gravitate toward belonging to a Greek organization, while others don't. It doesn't mean that there is anything "lame" about being on one side or the other.

However, I've always found your bolded sentiment -- that in joining a Greek organization, you are simply buying friends -- on the part of non-Greeks who express it to be peculiar and what appears to me to be defensiveness.

Whether it is to pay for beer, rent, maintenance, intramural uniforms, payola to the national organization, etc., operating an organization such as a fraternity costs money. You know perfectly well that a host of other organizations beyond Greek organizations charge dues. My family pays money to belong to/use the neighborhood pool; you may belong to a private club/bar; HOAs charge dues; I pay dues to my VFW post (I admit that I just went to Iraq to buy my way into a social/networking circle), etc., etc. Heck, there is currently a fundraiser ongoing to continue to operate this site. If you contribute, are you simply doing so to buy friends?

As for your last sentence, I belonged to a fraternity at Wake Forest, and I had friends in quite a few others on campus. My wife was in a society. Granted, it was 25 years ago, but I can tell you without question that in my fraternity, we did not abuse our pledges or do anything that would have endangered their safety or wellbeing. Based upon the character of the individuals that I knew in other organizations, I feel confident that they would not have stood by and allowed someone to be treated in such a manner in theirs either.

Catamount also thought a story about a person drinking 25 gallons of oil posted from a satirical site was true.

How do you square these posts? Also, that first post is one of the most remarkably callous things I've ever read on here. I can't imagine anyone reading that timeline and then posting that.

Good lord, what an idiot catamount is.

Back