• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UK Election

Nate Silver tweeted this morning that every single European nationalistic party has underperformed polling since Donald was elected. Not quite sure what that forebodes but is an interesting tidbit

Trump will crush in 2020

#proudtrumpist

I am displeased with this election result.

Which Cold War foe should I blame this adverse outcome on?

Well, focusing back on the UK, if May forms a government with the DUP, it will be interesting that a bunch of radical Protestants from Northern Ireland would be arguably the most influential political group in the UK.

It will certainly be interesting to see, if May is able to retain her position as PM, how this impacts future Brexit negotiations. NPR commentator this morning believes Europe already has the expectation that since the UK wanted to leave the EU that the burden is on them to come up with positions on trade and not on EU to do so and this has the potential of really weakening UK's spot at the bargaining table.

I mean if you hold a snap vote, get crushed, lose seats then you probably shouldn't get to keep your leadership position.

I mean if you hold a snap vote, get crushed, lose seats then you probably shouldn't get to keep your leadership position.

Probably. But that would lead to even more instability.

The Northern Irish "conservatives" the Conservs will be relying on apparently are against same-sex marriage and abortion and have some climate science deniers.

The Repubs finally have a European friend! RELIGION!!!!!1111

Yeah they're a relatively extremist Protestant party founded by a fundamentalist.

Who apparently live in the shittiest area of the nation. This looks familiar.

Good analysis of the election by Michael Barone. What would been the result had it been May against Corbyn as in a presidential election?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/barone-breaking-down-theresa-mays-disastrous-night/article/2625473

The Conservatives' idea was that if the 2015 Ukip vote, 12.9 percent of the popular vote, went solidly for Conservatives, that would propel them even farther ahead of their 2015 plurality of 38 to 31 percent over the Labour party. But the returns overall show that Ukip's plummet to irrelevance produced more in the way of gains for Labour than for Conservatives. The Conservative percentage of popular vote, as I write, is up 5.6 percent, while Labour's is up 9.5 percent.

The election heralds a return toward the traditional two-party politics of Britain. As those 2015 number show, Britain has had relatively low percentages for the two major parties. This year, the Ukip vote has plummeted to 1.9 percent of the popular vote. It's a classic example of what happens to a political movement when it achieves its goals: voters discard it and move on.

Thus in the United States when conservatives (mostly) achieved great policy success on crime and welfare in the 1990s, those issues stopped working from Republicans. Similarly, the Liberal Democrats who in 2015 lost the great majority of their seats after serving in the coalition government with David Cameron's Conservatives, have also not bounced much back, except in Scotland where they (but less than the Conservatives) won seats from the Scottish Nationalists, who had won 56 of 59 Scotland's seats in 2015. Jeremy Goodall, a commentator on Sky News, noted that the two major parties each won more than 40 percent in the last election, in the 1970s, before the United Kingdom joined the European Union, and that they have done so again only now that Britain decided to leave the European Union. Coincidence?

The Labour party also benefited from the widespread assumption that they had no chance to win. For many voters, that meant you could vote for a party led by the astonishingly leftist—and terrorist-sympathizing and antisemitism-sympathizing—Jeremy Corbyn, without really putting him in control of the government. I suspect this helped him with Remain voters in upscale districts, especially in metropolitan London and the very high-income areas in the south of England who voted for Remain.

Corbyn will hire Steve Bannon immediately after winning the next general election.

Oh no Donald the safe space president no longer wants to come unless the people accept him, so I guess the visit is on hold indefinitely.

"Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming.

The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time."

Back