• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon

Here's a tidbit about Sunday that I didn't know from his Wake bio : "• Ranked in the ESPN Top 60 in 2015"

Did going to a low level school kill that ranking? Could he be a real sleeper?

Brandon barely had a shadow last year. Now, he has shoulders and guns. He's listed at 190 this year. No way he was close to that last year.

Not worth an argument, but he was listed as the exact same height and weight on last year's roster.

If anything, he had a little baby fat on him last year.

I would like to see this bulk pay off in March though. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of dudes who got Arinzed.

Analyzing the new team photo for body differences seems to have become an annual tradition around here. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't mean much to me. Has Doral developed any sort of basketball instincts during the offseason? Can he put the ball on the deck without turning it over every time? Things like that are exponentially more important than gaining some muscle.

Any concerns about Manning saying our front court spots are up for grabs? Don't want to entirely derail the critique of strong, athletic dudes, just wondering.

Any concerns about Manning saying our front court spots are up for grabs? Don't want to entirely derail the critique of strong, athletic dudes, just wondering.

We lost our two best bigs. The minutes are up for grabs.

I'd love to see the light go on for Doral. A long, 7'1+, 290 shotblocker fixes a lot of problems.

Analyzing the new team photo for body differences seems to have become an annual tradition around here. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't mean much to me. Has Doral developed any sort of basketball instincts during the offseason? Can he put the ball on the deck without turning it over every time? Things like that are exponentially more important than gaining some muscle.

Agree 100%, but we only have some pics... No practice reports or video to see yet.

I do think it is significant that Doral put on ~15 pounds this offseason, though.

Yeah. We use whatever information we have. That's all this is.

The other thing is if we can get Doral to play 22-25 mpg and play most of those with Sarr, our D will be really good to excellent and our running game will be top notch. Right now, Sarr is a plus shotblocker. Doral's size alone takes away many drives. This will allow our 1/2/3 to play much better, more intense perimeter D. If you know, you have help behind you, challenging your man is easier to do.

If it happens this year, we'll have a very solid D. We'll be able to cover up for Key. This isn't a slight on Key, Very, very, very few elite shooters are good or better defenders. As long as he gets in the way this year, if the bigs play well, Danny and the fans will be happy.

If it happens next year, we could be a top level defensive team with a starting line-up of Bryant/Ayo, Chaundee, Hoard, Sarr and Doral. That's length, strength, quickness and a lot of talent.

If Doral can play minutes this year, by the ACC season having Sarr at PF will make both our offense and defense much better. He's very close to being ready to play D on an ACC level. Basically, he needs to get a little stronger and understand the speed of the US college game. He needs more work on offense.

In two of the games I saw Sarr play at FIBA, he surprised me. Many times he looked like he was seeking out a pick to set in the high post area and was good at it. He was good at rolling to the hoop. If he he can work on that elbow J, our offense could be virtually unstoppable. His FT form leads me to believe that it could be a simple matter of practicing Pick&Pop for him to be very good at it.

If he can master this, watch out! Bryant can take the ball to the FT extended, brush off Sarr then either:

A lane opens for Bryant to take it to the hole
Doral's man takes away the lane and Bryant throws several lobs a game to Doral like he did to JC
The rotation will give Key open looks
It will also create lanes for Chaundee to slash or get an open shot.

I disagree a lot with RJ but really think some of you carry things to extreme by always being snarky with him. He is a Deac and loves them as much as anybody else here, if not more. If you disagree with him fine, but don't pile on every time he posts.

Not sure what the right thread is, so I'll just throw some comments here. (Perhaps none of this is new, but I've been off the boards for a while.) Women's Basketball Camp last night was fun. Ryan Horn really liked showing off progression photos of some players as they've gone through his system. There's a nice new alternate jersey that looks kind of like the baseball jersey, with "Deacons" in script.

The new video boards in the Joel look great:

1zt4zs.jpg

LOL. Ryan Horn held a gun show for the ladies.

I know it's just a few pictures, but I do suddenly feel a lot more comfortable about our front court. In my head, I'd been trying to talk myself into five guard lineups. If any one of our bigs can make a bit of a leap/exceed expectations, we're a really dangerous team.

Back