• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

How about not engaging intimately in casual fashion? You know, spend some time together just getting to know one another. Allow physical intimacy to develop as an product of a growing relationship (friendship) based on mutual respect, admiration, and graduated affection.

I know, I know.

How about not engaging intimately in casual fashion? You know, spend some time together just getting to know one another. Allow physical intimacy to develop as an product of a growing relationship (friendship) based on mutual respect, admiration, and graduated affection.

I know, I know.

just do it on the net

wham bam thank you mam, tempus fugits as they say

And I'm saying I'm not sure that heartrate can be a measurable indicator of consent.

Any physiologists round here?

I'm not saying heart rate = consent.

And I'm saying that a user could have consensual sex several times while wearing a heart rate monitor to get a since of what her heart rate is while having sex.

Any sexual encounters marked as consensual in the app with a heart rate below or above the baseline range established would be flagged. This would be a way of double checking whether or not consent in the app was forced.

Sounds like a polygraph to me. Who is the "heart rate test" supposed to benefit?

Good point. Still seems a bit cynical to me, but our culture of frustration, ambiguity, and regret might necessitate something like this.

The screenshot in the article I saw had a clause you could check off that said "disease-free" or something. It suggested that lying on this electronic form could constitute a legal violation.

The article also implied that you could somehow revoke consent mid-encounter. But agreed, while it does require that there be a conversation about consent before a sexual encounter, such an app would do little to address the problems of (visible and invisible) coercion or pressure.

Just a reminder of what you said that started the discussion.

I don't get your point.

Heart rate sounds to me like an attempt to quantify something that isn't quantifiable. Consent should be a conversation, not a number.

Does accelerated heart rate mean they were in to it and ready to fuck or nervous and clearly being coerced to consent

I don't get your point.

Heart rate sounds to me like an attempt to quantify something that isn't quantifiable. Consent should be a conversation, not a number.

No shit, but were talking about how to address the fact someone could be coerced into consent.

And again, it's not about quantifying consent. It's about having some physiological marker that one sexual encounter differs from others.

And I'm saying that a user could have consensual sex several times while wearing a heart rate monitor to get a since of what her heart rate is while having sex.

Any sexual encounters marked as consensual in the app with a heart rate below or above the baseline range established would be flagged. This would be a way of double checking whether or not consent in the app was forced.

This is a #HotTake of someone who probably has consisted boring married missionary sex.

Wear. a Chastity Belt.
Unlocks upon voice command.
from female. says "I consent to fuck now.
cool to insert.

She went on a date.

She could have walked out period.

She went to the press.

Hell hath/has/have no wrath like(?) a woman’s scorn. help scholars

When I finally read the sordid account, I have to say I agree (with ITC?) it wasn’t worthy of publication.

Fury like a woman scorned. But I like your version as well.

The premise is good but the variability would be too high. You might consider something along lines of a cortisol to endorphin ratio. Maybe they can devise a test for that in sweat.

Me Too [GHWB, Franken, et al...sigh]

The premise is good but the variability would be too high. You might consider something along lines of a cortisol to endorphin ratio. Maybe they can devise a test for that in sweat.

Ok. That makes sense. As far as making things more complicated.

I wonder how Grace would have reacted if after the first soft no, Aziz said, “That’s cool. I respect your decision. I had a good time and I want to have sex. But since that’s not going to happen, you need to get out of apartment. Text me for camera recs, buddy.”

Last edited:
I wonder how Aziz would have responded if Grace had said, as soon as he started kissing and undressing her, “oh, no. I’m so sorry if I’ve given you the wrong impression. I don’t want to be intimate with you on our first date. No kissing, nakedness or anything of the sort. If that’s all you’re interested in, then thanks for dinner. Goodnight. Call me if you’re interested in getting to know me better.”

There is a clear distinction between the Harvey Weinsteins of the world and what happened with Aziz Ansari. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wholeheartedly agree with risc. From all accounts, when unequivocal non-consent was given, Ansari stopped. Sure he might have asked a couple more times than he should have, but when you have a naked woman on your kitchen counter, who wouldn't make some reasonable assumptions about how the night was unfolding? Sure I'm a dude and that means I'm not allowed to tell women what is and is not sexual harassment or assault, but this pretty clearly is a case of a date gone wrong than sexual misconduct, and DEFINITELY not a case of sexual coercion.

NY Times and The Atlantic had a couple of good pieces on that very subject today. (links given)

Ok. That makes sense. As far as making things more complicated.

I wonder how Grace would have reacted if after the first soft no, Aziz said, “That’s cool. I respect your decision. I had a good time and I want to have sex. But since that’s not going to happen, you need to get out of apartment. Text me for camera recs, buddy.”

Dude, it is no more complicated that try to create a distribution of heart rates during different types of sexual encounters. I'm not a cardiologist, but I dabble in statistics. I can show you my r-codes if you need proof.

Back