• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

First Charges Filed in Mueller Investigation

Cohen said in his plea colloquy he violated campaign finance laws at the direction and coordination of the candidate for office.

Charge him. LOCK HIM UP.

They can hold re-trying the other ten counts over Manafort to get info from him.

This is the worst day of Trump's presidency thus far for Trump. His campaign manager is guilty of 8 felonies. His long-time lawyer pleaded guilty to multiple felonies this afternoon. His first NSA has been given more time to rat Trump out before sentencing.

That's a three strike day for Trump.

It’s one of the worst days for any president beyond assassinations and shootings in American history.

Cohen pleads to 8 counts including tax counts and paying off women.

Manafort is fucked at this point. He's lost what little leverage he had. His only prayer is a pardon (which I understand is not out of play). I don't recall reading anything about the trial and Judge Ellis' behavior that suggests Manafort is likely to be successful on appeal - the prosecution basically got skewered the entire trial and still convicted him of 8 counts.

If it was a normal USAO, they might just take the time on Manafort and call it a day and move onto other cases, but what the fuck else is the special counsel here to do? They're going to hammer Manafort and try him for everything. It's their mandate, and it bolsters the political case for their existence as they continue to investigate other matters.

If the jail time/terms of the plea deal are not put on the record at this point, I'd think cooperation is still on the table to negotiate jail time.

I mean he's already directly implicating Trump in a criminal conspiracy.

That sounds logical counselor.

Also, wouldn't it be logical to put the charges out there for potential targets to see?

From the updated NYT article on Cohen's plea deal:

"The plea agreement does not call for Mr. Cohen to cooperate with federal prosecutors in Manhattan, but it does not preclude him from providing information to the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, who is examining the Trump campaign’s possible involvement in Russia’s interference in the 2016 campaign.

If Mr. Cohen were to substantially assist the special counsel’s investigation, Mr. Mueller could recommend a reduction in his sentence."

I also wonder if the guilty plea essentially renders any potential pardon ineffective. I don't know this. But I wonder if this is a means of garnering even more favor with the Special Counsel.

It sounds to me like Cohen pleaded guilty to an information, as opposed to an indictment. If so, he has some kind of plea agreement. He also has plenty of room to provide additional information in seeking a downward departure from the agreement he has.

This day is a disaster for Trump and his clarion call of rigged witch hunt. Can you imagine what Fox, Guiliani, et al. would be saying had Manafort been acquitted? Not to mention Lectro and Moonz!

Tibbets murderer was an illegal? Trump wins this news cycle. Amazing.

Last edited:
Trump fuckin lost this day. After Cohen's plea to campaign finance violations, which were done at the behest of "the candidate", the "Make America Great Again" President is now an unindicted coconspirator. Not a great place to be.

Back