• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

Yeah, proximity means money. USC might rather play elsewhere though.

We're waxing those jokers if we play :umkc:

Also think Kentucky is a byproduct of the shitty SEC East. Wake is 27th in Sagarin, Kentucky 57th. Maybe the win looks better on paper than Navy but I don't think there's a significant difference between the two. No comparison between our schedule and Kentucky's this year

Who wants to spend a month getting ready to play Navy in a bowl game ? Blecch.

UK's "best" win of the year was in Columbia against USC. That's the game where Deebo Samuel broke his leg in the third quarter and USC's offense fell apart for the rest of the year.

I also have very bad memories of Wake playing Kentucky in Charlotte, so that's another drawback.

Who wants to spend a month getting ready to play Navy in a bowl game ? Blecch.

Agree, just don't think Kentucky belongs in a good class of opponent either. Very much hope we get better than both

Wake would be a touchdown favorite over UK to open. Roughly the same category as BC. A little bit worse than Syracuse.

Isn't there a rule where a 7-5 ACC team can't get jumped by a 6-6 team in terms of pecking order? I don't think we could fall to the Military/Detroit level bowl, if that's the case, given the current standings. At 7-5, there are only 4 teams basically guaranteed to finish ahead of us (Clem, UM, NCSU, VT). Louisville likely will be 8-4 as well, but that still puts us no worth than 6th, and 2 ACC teams in the playoff/NY6.

As long as we win at least one more game, I don't think we can do worse than Charlotte. Let's just win them both.

That was back in the day but something like that may still exist. From Joe Giglio's bowl writeup in 2014: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article10130396.html.

But there’s still a provision which would keep the 6-6 Wolfpack or Tar Heels from getting into the first tier (the Charlotte, Nashville/Jville, El Paso and Bronx bowls). If four teams finish 8-4 or better, which is likely, then a 6-win team can’t be selected for a first-tier game ahead of those 8-win teams.

Not sure if that would apply to a 6-5 Georgia Tech team

Will Wake open as a double digit favorite over Duke? If the game were this weekend, I think yes.

Just realized that Ga Tech gets to 6 wins if they beat Duke this weekend since they beat Va Tech. Fuck those guys. Nice fucking job Hokies.

Is there a written or unwritten rule about a bowl taking the same team two years in a row? All things otherwise being equal, would the Military Bowl look for another team over us?

Two ESPN projections have that match up now. I know it could change, but that'd be pretty sweet.

Is there a written or unwritten rule about a bowl taking the same team two years in a row? All things otherwise being equal, would the Military Bowl look for another team over us?

It's probably both. I think the "guidance" in the ACC bowl protocol says they will try to avoid regular season rematches and teams making repeat trips. However, as those who have followed the bowl selection process over the years, those rules are always waiting there to be bent, if not outright broken. Not as bad as what the Gator Bowl routinely tried to pull off over the past 15 years or so, but I'm sure bowls still voice their opinions quite strongly behind closed doors even with the new tiered selection process.

I wouldn't think Wake would have to worry about a 2nd straight Military Bowl invite, though. Unless UVA pulls off a couple of upsets to close the season, would think that bowl would be very excited to select them with their proximity.

It's probably both. I think the "guidance" in the ACC bowl protocol says they will try to avoid regular season rematches and teams making repeat trips. However, as those who have followed the bowl selection process over the years, those rules are always waiting there to be bent, if not outright broken. Not as bad as what the Gator Bowl routinely tried to pull off over the past 15 years or so, but I'm sure bowls still voice their opinions quite strongly behind closed doors even with the new tiered selection process.

I wouldn't think Wake would have to worry about a 2nd straight Military Bowl invite, though. Unless UVA pulls off a couple of upsets to close the season, would think that bowl would be very excited to select them with their proximity.

Good point.

We are also in the running for a tier one bowl, so we may not be available for the Military Bowl.

Just realized that Ga Tech gets to 6 wins if they beat Duke this weekend since they beat Va Tech. Fuck those guys. Nice fucking job Hokies.

I think I'll be rooting for Duke, as tough as that is. I'd like for them to come to WS needing a win to go bowling, and get blown out.

That's exactly how we should reward our team fora good season - with a trip to Charlotte. Ugh.

Any chance we go to Nashville or Jacksonville?

Back