• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

All I've heard from RJ for 3 years is we don't have the players to defend at even an average level. In year 4, we just let two 6' white guys named Reed Timmer and Graham Woodward light us up for 49 points.

RJ IS CLUELESS SHOCKER

Wow - worse than Bz. pretty much have to burn it down Favorite sons included.

In all seriousness, I think Danny cares, I just don’t think he knows what to do about it or how to get his players to give a crap. He’s getting paid a lot of money to know what to do and if doesn’t, he needs to go.

For the sake of argument, let's assume Manning is a good recruiter, has an eye for talent, can develop big man talent, is a mediocre system guy, and a poor in-game coach.

The scenario where he loses his starting front court, has to play small ball, then watches his guards give up 49 points playing man defense to 2 Drake guards - it's pretty much the nightmare scenario. Of course the coach is responsible for the personnel we have and the situation we're in. At the same time, these are college basketball players. Wilbekin's a senior, Crawford thinks he's headed for the League, Woods is like 35 years old. And in a basic man defense they gave up almost 60 points to their assignments.

At the very least that's not a system thing. Motivation, sure. Conditioning and preparation, maybe. But what the fuck, it's man defense. Stop someone. I'd probably start the damn walk-ons next game, or maybe bench Crawford for sleepwalking and start Woods/Brown/Mitchell/Thompson/Moore and let the guards sit and watch.

In all seriousness, I think Danny cares, I just don’t think he knows what to do about it or how to get his players to give a crap. He’s getting paid a lot of money to know what to do and if doesn’t, he needs to go.

I don't hate Coach Manning like I vehemently hated REDACTED, but the guy clearly is not ready to be a big time coach.

Wellman and Co. put Manning in a tough spot trying to basically build up a program from a scorched Earth (that Wellman and Co. created, mind you...) and Manning isn't shitting all over his players like the last coach did, so credit there for being a decent human being.

HOWEVA! The guy is just simply not a good enough coach right now in his career for this kind of job. We caught lightning in a bottle last season and still only made the "first 4." This isn't good enough.

And I still don't care enough about Wake basketball to really have a meltdown. I'm numb to this utter shit program sucking now. I'm just numb to the losses. It's annoying, it's perturbing, and it's frustrating... but I don't get angry after losses anymore.

Ron Wellman killed my passion for Wake Forest basketball. That's some feat considering I was a die hard fan since 1989 when my family first moved to the area until REDACTED came back for a 4th season. My friends from growing up don't even text to talk shit about Wake bball losses anymore. We are now truly irrelevant.

Last edited:
That’s a broken record interview. “We’ve got to do a better job of guarding the three”. Here’s an idea: never help off of your man if he is a good shooter. Never. Get in his face and make him drive. He wants to shoot the three so take it away. If he drives, we have a 7 footer to challenge the shot. Don’t let him kick it out to another 3 point shooter. Everybody sticks close to their man. And play some 1-3-1 trap and a point 2-3 zone to change things up. It’s not rocket science.

Beyond embarrassing. Don't care about next recruiting class or any others. Staak, Bz, you name it - better than this. Time to move on and clean house.

I don't hate Coach Manning like I vehemently hated REDACTED, but the guy clearly is not ready to be a big time coach.

Wellman and Co. put Manning in a tough spot trying to basically build up a program from a scorched Earth (that Wellman and Co. created, mind you...) and Manning isn't shitting all over his players like the last coach did, so credit there for being a decent human being.

HOWEVA! The guy is just simply not a good enough coach right now in his career for this kind of job. We caught lightning in a bottle last season and still only made the "first 4." This isn't good enough.

And I still don't care enough about Wake basketball to really have a meltdown. I'm numb to this utter shit program sucking now. I'm just numb to the losses. It's annoying, it's perturbing, and it's frustrating... but I don't get angry after losses anymore.

Ron Wellman killed my passion for Wake Forest basketball. That's some feat considering I was a die hard fan since 1989 when my family first moved to the area until now. My friends from growing up don't even text to talk shit about Wake bball losses anymore. We are now truly irrelevant.

Yeah, I like Danny, I wish to heck he’d be a great coach here. If he is successful,what a great face for our program and would probably stay for the duration of his career if KU never came calling. Unfortunately, he just does not seem to be a competent head coach at this level. His teams lack any semblance of sound coaching.

[Redacted], is an asshat, the only reason I would’ve wanted him to succeed is because I’m a Wake fan and like winning. It certainly wouldn’t have been because he’s a likeable guy.

That’s a broken record interview. “We’ve got to do a better job of guarding the three”. Here’s an idea: never help off of your man if he is a good shooter. Never. Get in his face and make him drive. He wants to shoot the three so take it away. If he drives, we have a 7 footer to challenge the shot. Don’t let him kick it out to another 3 point shooter. Everybody sticks close to their man. And play some 1-3-1 trap and a point 2-3 zone to change things up. It’s not rocket science.

You might want to make copy of this and send it to DM. If he hasn't got a suggestion box make one.

This is Danny’s fourth year. In Redacted’s fourth year we went 10-3 OOC. Our three losses were to Kansas, Tennessee, and Xavier.

This is worse.

For the sake of argument, let's assume Manning is a good recruiter, has an eye for talent, can develop big man talent, is a mediocre system guy, and a poor in-game coach.

The scenario where he loses his starting front court, has to play small ball, then watches his guards give up 49 points playing man defense to 2 Drake guards - it's pretty much the nightmare scenario. Of course the coach is responsible for the personnel we have and the situation we're in. At the same time, these are college basketball players. Wilbekin's a senior, Crawford thinks he's headed for the League, Woods is like 35 years old. And in a basic man defense they gave up almost 60 points to their assignments.

At the very least that's not a system thing. Motivation, sure. Conditioning and preparation, maybe. But what the fuck, it's man defense. Stop someone. I'd probably start the damn walk-ons next game, or maybe bench Crawford for sleepwalking and start Woods/Brown/Mitchell/Thompson/Moore and let the guards sit and watch.

Even you started blaming [Redacted] by year 4. This is worse than [Redacted].

Based on Tulsa, I thought Danny would actually be a really good system coach, questionable game coach, and an unknown recruiter. Turns out the only thing he is any good at is recruiting.

Frankly, I hope we get some release requests so there’s no reason not to can him. Keeping a coach for recruits is always the wrong call. Good thing we didn’t extend him.

Maybe we can finally stop bargaining hunting in basketball and go out and get a bigger name. Should be done with the Grobe and [Redacted] buyouts and Manning’s won’t be much since we don’t pay him much.

This off season we either have to extend or fire him. I assumed an extension was a foregone conclusion after last year. It shouldn’t be.

In interviews or press conferences, I've ever seen Manning look anyone in the eye. His eyes are always roaming elesewhere while he goes through the coach speak he has plagiarized from watching coaches he's impressed with. That bugs the shit out of me for some reason. Someone asks you a question, look them in the damn eye when you answer them. And just once I would like him to say "ball" instead of "basketball". I'm nit picking

And you know, I've donated a bunch of money over the years to sit down close to the court and I haven't even considered going to a game yet this year. It literally hasn't even crossed my mind. And I live 45 minutes away.

Last edited:
Wow. Woke up to seeing we lost to Drake. Unfuckingbelieveable.
Let me guess, the guard defense was horrible and we got outrebounded
I’ve watched wilbekin for 4 years now and never seen him play defense, yet Danny keeps saying he demands that we play hard defense. Time to put up or shut up Danny. Wilbekin should never play at Wake again. He is the worst. Childress is close. Right now, I think anyone would take ifvthe guards from GaSo, Liberty or Drake over them. They have certainly been outplayed by all of them.
Stop talking about defense and benching people who don’t or you have zero credibility.

Omg. Just looked at the box score. We got lit up by 2 of their guards for 29 and 20?!?!?!
Wilbekin needs to be dismissed from the team. Now.

Wilbekin and Childress with 21 and 27 minutes.
Stop it Danny! You must know the definition of insane.

Back