• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Meltdown thread

Wilbekin and Childress with 21 and 27 minutes.
Stop it Danny! You must know the definition of insane.

It's not just them. Wake has not guarded the 3 since Manning arrived. It is obviously in how he teaches defense.

Makes no sense that Wake has somehow recruited the worst defensive players on the planet over the past 4 years.

As much as Collins was and is a beast, he never learned to defend. Hopefully someone in the NBA can help him so that he can be another great Deac.

I’ve been saying we need to play zone with the personnel we have for the last few seasons. It’ll never happen. He’s too hard headed to switch defenses. You would think if what you’re doing isn’t working that you’d at least want to try something different.

That probably has a lot to do with it, too. The complete lack of effort and hustle really gets me. And that is definitely on the players, as well as the coach for being unable to motivate his players. And he keeps putting them in. How wilbekin gets any minutes and stands around on defense is beyond me.

Pack line. Anything.

Pack line was good enough to make Gaudio look like Wooden compared to the Bozos we have had lately. That would be my choice.

Forget it, they don't play pack line in the NBA and that is where we go for coaches these days.

I’ve been saying we need to play zone with the personnel we have for the last few seasons. It’ll never happen. He’s too hard headed to switch defenses. You would think if what you’re doing isn’t working that you’d at least want to try something different.

Manning zones are somehow worse than Mannning man-to-man.

WF Fanbase: Cannot believe we lost to GA SOUTHERN
Danny Manning: Hold my beer

Last year we could pin our defensive woes on the lack of speed from Dinos and Arians... we were limited in our options.

This year we are playing even worse guarding the three and Wilbekin learned how to play D from Arians apparently.

Zero minutes feom thw Sophs and only 11 from the grad transfer... realize that shortens your bench but the 4 guard rotation ia obviously not the answer

Sarr has played 20 minutes against Liberty and Drake and has yet to grab one rebound. Small sample size and playing with a bum finger, but man, that's disappointing.

Wake Forest is the new " CUPCAKE " game for all teams division 1,2,or 3. Forsyth Tech begging for a game. Bet C. Brown wish he had went to Kansas

Year 4...safe to already say we have no postseason hopes. I hate [name redacted] and what he did to the program but once this year ends a 4 year side by side comparison with quality wins and beating our in state schools probably has the evil one coming out on top.

Without JC last year DM would be looking for a job next year.

Year 4...safe to already say we have no postseason hopes. I hate [name redacted] and what he did to the program but once this year ends a 4 year side by side comparison with quality wins and beating our in state schools probably has the evil one coming out on top.

Without JC last year DM would be looking for a job next year.[/QU

Do NOT Fear. Repeat 10 times that, 'We are a very good basketball team." Trust the Process (but withhold your money).

Sarr has played 20 minutes against Liberty and Drake and has yet to grab one rebound. Small sample size and playing with a bum finger, but man, that's disappointing.

He probably weighs 150 pounds soaking wet. He’s not going to help on the glass.

Actually Wilbekin and Childress carried the team in the first half. Combined here are the stats of the starters versus the reserves:

Starters 70 minutes, 21 points, 5 of 20 shooting and 3 of 11 from 3, 6 turnovers

Reserves 48 minutes, 20 points, 7 of 11 shooting and 5 of 9 from 3, 3 turnovers

None of the four are playing particularly well defensively as they all get lost in space. Childress and Crawford seem to play well when they are locked in on one guy. As others have said we should play man to man and stay on their man and not help as much - if your guy beats you, then you sit.

Regardless I think Sarr, Thompson and SJM need to play more because we cannot continue to lose the rebounding battle against mid majors and they need to get prepared for ACC play.

Childress had the best game of any guard last night. He at least combines quickness with his small stature. 5 assists and 75% from the floor. Wilbekin's numbers are extremely misleading. Yes, he finally hit some 3's. He also almost fouled out. He started on Timmer and got destroyed, then got swtiched to Woodward who promptly caught fire. He routinely dropped into the paint on defense, as if we needed to double the entry pass before running out late on shooters. Scoring 11 and giving up 30 doesn't help us.

Back